Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Routing Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over the weekend, I had to do a 1-day, long range round trip from Orange, CA to Henderson, NV. I've done the trip enough times (both in MS and other cars) to know how navigation is going to send me once getting into NV, which, for both inbound and outbound, avoids the strip entirely. For this trip, the person I was meeting was running late, so I decided to hit up the SC at the south end of the strip before heading east to Henderson. When I got to the meeting, I still had a few minutes, so I started planning the return trip. Navigation first wanted to have me stop in Primm and then Yermo on the return. I didn't intend on making 2 stops, so I selected the Baker SC to check the range, saw I'd have no problem reaching it, and planned to stop there on the return. Have my meeting, jump back in the car, set navigation for home, and find a couple things strange on the selected route:
  1. Navi has now selected Baker and Barstow for the two stops
  2. Instead of avoiding the southern tip of LV using state road 146 to catch I-15 south (typical route), it's kept me on the 215 to meet I-15 several miles north of the 146/I-15 interchange
It would seem my earlier detour and SC searching influenced the route selected. Traffic wasn't an issue, so there wouldn't have been any substantial difference time-wise between this return trip and previous returns to select the all-highway path this time around. I also wasn't charging during my meeting, so I didn't have any more range when I embarked vs. planning an hour or so earlier.

Since it doesn't give any options for the route selected (which would be an excellent upgrade), does the navigation system take user inputs/driving patterns to determine user-preferred routes?

does the navigation system take user inputs/driving patterns to determine user-preferred routes?
The simple answer is yes. It looks at your last 30 miles(?) of consumption and uses this as a basis for it's consumption factor going forward. This would be great if you continued on the same sort of highways, winds, driving conditions etc but it could be irrelevant to your next segment. The only analytical thing it does do is to use expected elevation changes and distance.