TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Navigant study: Ford leads autonomous, Tesla 12th?

Discussion in 'Autonomous Vehicles' started by TD-3, Apr 3, 2017.

1. TD-3

TD-3 Member

2. Cobbler

Cobbler Member

Mercedes and Nissan already have self-driving cars on the road and journalists have already seen many successful demonstrations as a passenger.

Tesla has shown a speedup video of what their system can do in the future...
    At the moment, Tesla is not leading imho.

But at this very day.... They have the biggest fleet running today of l3/l4 capabele cars at the moment. No expensive multiple lidar setup, but just camera's/ radar and ultrasonic sensors.
    That's a good solid base to reach a similar goal. Let's hope the software development can catch up before 2020.

3. alseTrick

alseTrick Active Member

I would say that's incorrect. It shows what the system can do now. Otherwise, how did it do it?

I'm not saying Tesla is leading or that their tech is finalized, but it was multiple real videos demonstrating what it can do right now.

I think Google is leading in tech, but unless they sell it to someone, I'm not sure what their end game is. Everyone is creating their own systems it seems, and that would leave Google on the outside.

4. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Not even in the top 10 though? Tesla already has semi-autonomous cars on the road collecting data and cars with hardware already installed.

5. reuted

reuted Member

On a recent trip visiting to top engineering colleges with our boys the various admissions teams mentioned tesla and spacex as companies that recruit their respective students, offer internships etc. None of these schools mentioned Ford or Ford suppliers. For now Elon has access to very top talent pool. The organization that can recruit and retain the smartest people and keep them in a structure where they collaborate will win in the long run.

After having visited the Ford F150 plant as well as the tesla plant it doesn't feel like the ford culture is there. The Ford employees during the visit made very strong points why automation is bad for product quality. Compare that with Elon who believes that production needs to be 120% automatic to create quality product and increase the speed of the line past what humans can accommodate. Ford and others deserve credit for what they have done.

Consumers will win. Less humans will die from accidents. Really great progress?

• Informative x 1
  6. Tam

Tam Active Member

I prefer an objective data that shows how often a system requires a human intervention which California DMV called "disengagement."

Disengagements/Miles:

Waymo/Alphabet/Google 1 / 5,128 miles
    Nissan 1 / 146 miles
    Uber 1 / 1 miles

Alphabet bests Uber in self-driving car reliability