Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot feature after nearly 1,000 crashes​

New YorkCNN —
Tesla is recalling nearly all 2 million of its cars on US roads to limit the use of its Autopilot feature after a review of nearly 1,000 crashes in which the feature was engaged.

The recall was disclosed in a letter to Tesla posted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which said that Telsa had agreed to an over-the-air software update starting on Tuesday that will limit the use of the Autosteer feature if a driver repeatedly fails to demonstrate he or she is ready to resume control of the car while the feature is on.

Tesla has been pushing its driver-assist features, including Autopilot and what it calls “Full Self Driving,” which Tesla has insisted make driving safer than cars operated exclusively by humans. But NHTSA has been studying reports of accidents involving Autopilot and its Autosteer function for more than two years.

The recall comes two days after a detailed investigation was published by the Washington Post that found at least eight serious accidents, including some fatalities, in which the the Autopilot feature should not have been engaged in the first place.

This is a developing story. It will be updated.

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot feature after nearly 1,000 crashes​

I doubt this is a traditional recall. More likely, it will be an OTA update. As mentioned before, the word "recall" is misleading and does not really apply anymore since the cars don't need to be physically recalled back to the service center for the fix to happen. Tesla will simply push an OTA update to fix this issue.

I doubt this is a traditional recall. More likely, it will be an OTA update. As mentioned before, the word "recall" is misleading and does not really apply anymore since the cars don't need to be physically recalled back to the service center for the fix to happen. Tesla will simply push an OTA update to fix this issue.
OTA is correct. See the DOT letter that’s linked in the article.

I think the news here is, Tesla is going to limit the use of FSD.

Reactions: Wattsisname
Very annoying when software is called a recall and causes confusion amongst the media and general public that does not understand EV’s or tech. Also negative perception towards Tesla.

A software update is not a traditional recall. Is it Tesla’s fault that people are abusing ”beta” FSD? I have FSD and I always pay attention to when it is on.

Wonder what Tesla will actually address to limit the use of FSD?

Sure. But the CNN headline as it is written is clickbait and misleading. It preys on fear.

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot feature after nearly 1,000 crashes

It is called a recall by the DOT. There were almost 1,000 crashes. Over 2M vehicles are affected.

What part is clickbait?

Wow, the recall applies to non-FSD capable cars as well, so AP1 cars aren't safe from the upcoming nerf:

1702472144434.png

Very annoying when software is called a recall and causes confusion amongst the media and general public that does not understand EV’s or tech. Also negative perception towards Tesla.

A software update is not a traditional recall. Is it Tesla’s fault that people are abusing ”beta” FSD? I have FSD and I always pay attention to when it is on.

Wonder what Tesla will actually address to limit the use of FSD?
It's not "traditional" because cars were not previously software defined. NHTSA doesn't mandate that the manufacturer fix the issue via an OTA update - they just say it must be addressed. This is not a uniquely Tesla problem.

This is an old article in technology time but even back in 2019, there were 85 software related recalls. At the time, only Mercedes issued an OTA fix. The landscape looks different now and manufacturers have made more cars always online which saves everyone the hassle of bringing the car into the dealership to have new software loaded.

Of course this AP recall is just one example. I don't like functionality getting worse or being taken away after purchase, and I don't like manufacturers limping a new vehicle to market with software that hasn't been properly tested, but that's a trend not limited to cars. It has been a thing with computers for a long time.

Does anyone else find it annoying when people want to stop Tesla autopilot in order to “save lives” but yet the net result would be more lives lost?
I do.

A crash that happened a few weeks ago in my area: driver falls asleep on a road with proper lane markings, but parked cars at the side of the road.

Since he fell asleep, he veered out of lane and plowed into a parked truck. He was severely injured (and both cars were totalled).

I'm rooting for an update to Tesla's "lane departure warning/prevention" system. Now you can either:
- turn it off and the car will just act like a regular car (i.e. you depart the lane)
- turn the warning on and the car will notify you (and visualise it on screen) of the fact that you are leaving the lane/road
- turn everything on and the car will 1) notify you with audio/visual AND 2) provide steering feedback to turn you into the lane again. However, this works only so well and will not prevent an accident since either you will still veer offroad (if you're asleep for example) or the car will overcorrect to the other side into oncoming traffic or a road divider or something.

I advocate a lane departure option 4: when it detects you leaving the lane without using your indicator it steers you back into the lane and activates autopilot/fsd. (and continues to beep at you to make sure you are awake/wake up)

The interesting thing about this recall is not only are they making driver monitoring stronger, they're finally going to lock out basic autopilot on MOST roads-- only allowing it on controlled access highways like folks like GM and Ford have done with their L2 ADAS- and something NTSB has been lobbying for for a long time vs Teslas "let the driver decide where to turn it on" policy.

In addition there'll be eventual suspension from Autosteer use if the driver repeatedly fails to demonstrate continuous and sustained driving responsibility.

Source:

From link:
The software update apparently will limit where Autosteer can be used.

“If the driver attempts to engage Autosteer when conditions are not met for engagement, the feature will alert the driver it is unavailable through visual and audible alerts, and Autosteer will not engage,” the recall documents said

Last edited:
The interesting thing about this recall is not only are they making driver monitoring stronger, they're finally going to lock out basic autopilot on MOST roads-- only allowing it on controlled access highways like folks like GM and Ford have done with their L2 ADAS- and something NTSB has been lobbying for for a long time vs Teslas "let the driver decide where to turn it on" policy.

In addition there'll be eventual suspension from Autosteer use if the driver repeatedly fails to demonstrate continuous and sustained driving responsibility.
The whole reason I bought a Tesla was to use basic autopilot on most roads. Looks like I’ll stick with software version 2023.38 for the foreseeable future…

It's going to be interesting to see how they implement this on AP1 cars since I think the code is locked and hasn't has been touched in years. There is already a check in AP1 that limits AutoPilot to 50 mph on a non divided highway since an update in 2016 but sounds like maybe more alert messages are coming soon. :mad:

8 people out of 2,000,000 ruined common sense for everyone.