Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, let it go. It doesn't matter what we've experienced, 69KWH has assured us we are all wrong.

Also, my not getting in my car, driving 20 minutes, sitting there for X minutes (usually 20+) and driving 20 minutes home is ACTIVELY avoiding updating my car. There is absolutely no excuse why Elon doesn't deserve both that hour of my life (actually 3 because I didn't rush out and update each of the three times updates were offered to me in the past 3 months) AND to change my car in unpredictable and unwanted ways. I must be a slave to Lord Elon.

Mea culpa, I didn't understand the code of the tesla freak who can't understand there are people living lives their own way and not slaves to expectations of the delusional.
Repent, sinner! Update, and all will be forgiven. 😁

FSDb users back in the safety score days received updates via cellular. Some people have stated that Tesla will eventually push out recall updates via cellular, but only after an extended time has passed. Whether they will push out an update that does not remedy a recall is questionable.

If you don't download a recall via WiFi, Tesla likley pushes it via cellular eventually because they are legally required to remedy the issue at no charge to the customer. They could offer to install the software for you at a service center, but that would almost certainly cost them more in labor than a few GB of cell data.

Chances are if you received a download over LTE while travelling, what actually happened is your vehicle connected to Tesla's wifi automatically at a supercharger and downloaded the update. I saw this happen firsthand in New Jersey a few months ago.

This is the time to admit I was wrong...

Woke up this morning to a notification in the Tesla app that I have an update ready to install. Opened the app and there it was, already downloaded even though the WiFi hasn't been connected for months. It must have downloaded over LTE overnight 😑

Woke up this morning to a notification in the Tesla app that I have an update ready to install. Opened the app and there it was, already downloaded even though the WiFi hasn't been connected for months. It must have downloaded over LTE overnight 😑
If you go into service mode and do a reinstall of the old firmware version it forces a download of the prior version. Does that then drop the version that was waiting to be installed?

If you go into service mode and do a reinstall of the old firmware version it forces a download of the prior version. Does that then drop the version that was waiting to be installed?
It doesn't download anything, it just installs what is already downloaded and installed on the vehicle. It does clear out any pending updates that have been downloaded.

I did that last night and it made the downloaded update files go away…. and woke up this morning to the new update downloaded via LTE yet again 🙃

It looks like Tesla is starting to push the recall “fix” aggressively. I’m hoping that by ignoring the “install update” popups for a few weeks that they’ll disappear for good.

I just got a notification as well that it’s ready to install, not download. Bummer

I don't understand why it bothers people that it downloaded if they don't want it installed? The simple solution is: don't install it. Sure, you have to hit cancel (to the download) each time you park it, but is that all that difficult?

Although I still think it is silly that people are avoiding this update in the first place. The FSD trial aside, I think the concerns are unwarranted.

Reopening this for the latest:

Looks like the NHTSA is looking into whether this recall “did enough” to fix the problems they outlined.

I do wonder if anyone has additional information about the following statement:

Tesla “stated that a portion of the remedy both requires the owner to opt in and allows a driver to readily reverse it.”

The only opt-in I can think of was for submitting clips of the cabin camera back up to their servers. Am I misremembering how that functionality worked?

1714163489600.png

This seems....bad.

Just to clarify- the NHTSA report does NOT say quite what D&S claimed.

Dark and Stomys claim[/QUOTE said:
Tesla is only collecting data on around 18% of crashes that are reported to police

ACTUAL claim in the report:
NHTSA said:
Tesla largely receives data for crashes only with pyrotechnic deployment,2 which are a minority of police reported crashes.3 A review of NHTSA’s 2021 FARS and Crash Report Sampling System (CRSS) finds that only 18 percent of police-reported crashes include airbag deployments.

So it's not that Tesla only collets data on 18% of crashes, it's that they only report when airbags deploy and GENERALLY only 18% of all crashes of all vehicles reported to police involve airbag deployment

Reactions: JHCCAZ and navguy12
What's the source of the quote?

Gaps in Tesla’s telematic data create uncertainty regarding the actual rate at which vehicles operating with Autopilot engaged are involved in crashes. Tesla is not aware of every crash involving Autopilot even for severe crashes because of gaps in telematic reporting,” NHTSA wrote. According to the agency, Tesla “largely receives data from crashes only with pyrotechnic deployment,” meaning when air bags, seat belt pre-tensioners or the pedestrian impact mitigation feature of the car’s hood are triggered.

NHTSA claims that limiting to this level means Tesla is only collecting data on around 18% of crashes that are reported to the police. As a result, NHTSA wrote that the probe uncovered crashes for which Autopilot was engaged that Tesla was not notified of via telematics.

You have to opt in to allow the cabin camera to monitor you and can reverse the opt-in at any time. AFAIK standard AP still works without it.

(of course even FSD works on pre-camera S/X cars so there's that...)
You do for FSD, if your car has one, but you can't opt-out.

As far as data sharing, you can have all of that opted-out and still have AP, NoA, and FSD. (But FSD still requires you to allow the camera monitoring, you can't opt-out and still use FSD.)

So again, what is it that you can opt-in for on AP, and can opt-out. (Maybe I missed it, but I couldn't find any setting related to AP/NoA operation.) Unless they are considering covering the interior camera opting out.