Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on Autopilot and Toll Booths

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My first use of Navigate on Autopilot had a transition from i287 N to i84 E in NY. That US interstate interchange includes toll booths in the connecting exit ramp / entry ramp area. The exit ramp widens to a bunch of lanes to accommodate the many 6-8?) toll booths, some of which are manned, requiring a full stop, some have a 5mph speed limit with easy-pass and some have a 20mph speed limit with easy-pass.

I did not expect Navigate on Autopilot to be able to handle this interchange all by itself. I expected it to tell me to take over driving as the single lane ramp widened to multiple lanes prior to the toll booth area. It did not.

The car slowed on the single lane exit ramp off of i287 to about 40mph (OK), then it kept going about that speed toward the toll booths and even did a jerking steer to the right (like it did not know where to go). I had to urgently take over breaking and steering!

Should I have expected the car to tell me to take over?

I'm interested in other peoples experiences encountering toll booths.

My first use of Navigate on Autopilot had a transition from i287 N to i84 E in NY. That US interstate interchange includes toll booths in the connecting exit ramp / entry ramp area. The exit ramp widens to a bunch of lanes to accommodate the many 6-8?) toll booths, some of which are manned, requiring a full stop, some have a 5mph speed limit with easy-pass and some have a 20mph speed limit with easy-pass.

I did not expect Navigate on Autopilot to be able to handle this interchange all by itself. I expected it to tell me to take over driving as the single lane ramp widened to multiple lanes prior to the toll booth area. It did not.

The car slowed on the single lane exit ramp off of i287 to about 40mph (OK), then it kept going about that speed toward the toll booths and even did a jerking steer to the right (like it did not know where to go). I had to urgently take over breaking and steering!

Navigate on Autopilot cannot handle toll booths yet. So yes, you absolutely should take over.

Reactions: vjcinajr
Navigate on Autopilot cannot handle toll booths yet. So yes, you absolutely should take over.

Toll booths are still very sketchy. You should only attempt NOA through a toll booth if you are being intensely vigilant. I find NOA is increasingly able to get through them but it does so in a blind way. It does not "know" it is a toll booth. It does not slow down for them. If the run-up to it lacks lane markings, things really go crazy. Test if you are the testing type but never, ever assume it'll get through a toll booth unaided. Tesla will almost certainly tell us in release notes when that is a feature they are confident about releasing.

We’ve had this experience. Despite the screen proclaiming “Toll Booth Detected” we are still coming in hot at the full freeway set speed. This has happened often enough that I was prepared, and dialed the speed WAY back so the experience would not be so terrifying. We did pass thru the tollbooth without disengaging AP but if I hadn’t told Scotty to drop to impulse power, things woulda been different.