Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 12.3 GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FSD Beta 12.3 (2023.44.30.25) dropped this morning and my '22 MYP was a lucky boy.

Holy moly it is a game changer

1. Smooth turns - werky-jerky steering wheel is GONE (well at least 90% of that gone :)
2. Human feel on the highway - it changes lanes for the right reasons, keeping up with other traffic, passing and whatnot (I use the middle auto setting), zips down entry ramps, and again smooth!
3. Didn't miss a single exit - I was stuck on the right lane blocked by a car when we needed to take the left fork in the road - FSD let that car pass then basically bopped two lanes to the left and made the fork, I couldn't believe my eyes.
4. Driving on the highway in the right lane, lane was ending and a roadraging car was blocking me from merging to the left. The tesla practially pushed the guy out of the way and got us merged and on top of it the cars in front of us were stopping suddenly. unbelievable.
5. Navigating 4-way stopsigns without annoying anyone - smooth smooth smooth
6. Didn't miss any stop signs
7. We were going to a restaurant in the city with a bunch of 1-way streets, the joint was on the left, a few addresses the wrong way. Normally to get to the address you have to drive a big circle. FSD decided to park in a spot right there instead of driving around, and it literally selected the spot and parked in it. I couldn't effing believe it.

Man this (moderator edit) is good!!! I'm not a tesla fanboy and think Musk is a complete (moderator edit) so does that makes me objective?

Last edited by a moderator:
FSD Beta 12.3 (2023.44.30.25) dropped this morning and my '22 MYP was a lucky boy.

Holy moly it is a game changer

1. Smooth turns - werky-jerky steering wheel is GONE (well at least 90% of that gone :)
2. Human feel on the highway - it changes lanes for the right reasons, keeping up with other traffic, passing and whatnot (I use the middle auto setting), zips down entry ramps, and again smooth!
3. Didn't miss a single exit - I was stuck on the right lane blocked by a car when we needed to take the left fork in the road - FSD let that car pass then basically bopped two lanes to the left and made the fork, I couldn't believe my eyes.
4. Driving on the highway in the right lane, lane was ending and a roadraging car was blocking me from merging to the left. The tesla practially pushed the guy out of the way and got us merged and on top of it the cars in front of us were stopping suddenly. unbelievable.
5. Navigating 4-way stopsigns without annoying anyone - smooth smooth smooth
6. Didn't miss any stop signs
7. We were going to a restaurant in the city with a bunch of 1-way streets, the joint was on the left, a few addresses the wrong way. Normally to get to the address you have to drive a big circle. FSD decided to park in a spot right there instead of driving around, and it literally selected the spot and parked in it. I couldn't effing believe it.

Man this (moderator edit) is good!!! I'm not a tesla fanboy and think Musk is a complete (moderator edit) so does that makes me objective?
It'll be even better when highway driving actually uses V12 instead of V11.

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up 12.3 over the weekend, and I'm afraid my limited use has been extremely disappointing. I've not been out on the highway as yet, but the street behavior leaves me very concerned:
The car will not do the speed limit anywhere. I've got my profile set to assertive and to go 10% over the speed limit, but I can't get the thing to do the speed limit in any location, even when I've used the accelerator to push it up to my normal desired speed. It wants to stay 1-3 mph below the posted speed on a clear day with a clearly lined road and no traffic.
Stop signs: the car stops the very millisecond it can recognize the stop sign 600-800 feet ahead. It brakes hard, then tries to recover at 15 mph or so. My biggest concern with 12.3 is getting rear ended: going from 50mph to 15mph in a hurry in a place nobody should be baking is a very big safety issue.
The lack of planning ahead is disappointing still. I have a well-marked but interesting intersection that most updates never seem to get quite right. I long for 11.3.4 which seemed to be incredibly good at predicting routes and lane changes, but everything since has been a crap shoot. With 12.3, the car chose the initial good lane, proceeded through the intersection, but then proceeded to move to the right lane - at a point where the right lane was about to end less than 200 feet up. It can clearly see there is no future there - even on the screen - but still wanted to change lanes (to go around nobody?) only to have to merge back again?
The car decided to drive down into a parking lane in a clearly marked roadway in advance of making a right turn 800 feet up. This is yet another new first.
Turns are indeed smoother. I'll give them that.
I could never drive with this with my wife in the car. She hates the thing as it is, but the braking behaviors for no apparent reason are a serious risk of accident. Some of the other decisions are quite concerning, but as much as I looked forward to this update, it's been quite surprisingly discomforting for my first couple of rides.
I'll still try it out on the highway. I'm in software, so I understand what testing is all about. I'll still give it a try in the city on my own, but this is a very disappointing release thus far, and one I can't really share with my wife in the car.

Why does it feel like the rollout has halted? Significant drop for installs today compared to yesterday.
The problems posted in the main V12 thread point to some weird safety issues (driving on the wrong side of the road probably being the worst but the inability to maintain a set speed on a road could also be problematic.) The inconsistencies are concerning; no problems for some folks and others in the same situation are forced to disengage. I haven't been tracking if the different behaviour corresponds to different states (and thus different learned driving behaviour by the AI.)

But the mixed response is enough that I'm not chomping at the bit to get it (and can't because I haven't since November and my car needs updating to V11.4.9 first.)

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Man this sh*t is good!!! I'm not a tesla fanboy and think Musk is a complete *hole so does that makes me objective?
Well, to be honest, if you wanted to be truly objective I would think you'd give it a couple of days' experience before declaring it a game changer. But hey, that's just me.

I did convince the wife to let me engage it in the neighborhood to see how it handled a few of the turns, and she was much happier with how it did it.

I used it this afternoon while alone, and it did handle a roundabout much more confidently than previously, and it also seemed to be much less hesitant in other situations (including a 4-way stop where we BARELY had the right-of-way (the other car stopped a few milliseconds after I did)).

But it totally blew it coming out of my neighborhood at this intersection:
1710798284193.png

I was turning left at the intersection, and for some reason the car pulled into the yellow zebra section. Now I will say that there used to be a left turn lane there years ago, but I have no idea why it would want to cross the yellow line like that. I let it do it because there really weren't any cars around and I wanted to see what it would do. It did eventually pull back into the travel lane, but this was very unexpected.

The other thing I noticed is that it does seem more hesitant at times, traveling below my set speed.

So for me anyway, so far it seems like more of an incremental improvement, but I'll keep trying it out in more difficult situations.

Reactions: tribhuvanji
It'll be even better when highway driving actually uses V12 instead of V11.
I feel like something must have been impacted even if it's primarily the old stack still. My car on 12.3 on the highway seems to be making different lane selections than when I was on 11.4.9. For example, I've had a handful of cases where the car is (correctly, IMO) changing lanes 1.5+ miles ahead of an upcoming exit. In the past it always felt like these happened in the last half to quarter mile and made them feel rushed and/or missed altogether without intervention. I might be fooling myself because I always had 'minimal lane changes' on in the past, but the required lane changes to follow route do seem different. Can't say for sure.

Reactions: Raisin45567
I feel like something must have been impacted even if it's primarily the old stack still. My car on 12.3 on the highway seems to be making different lane selections than when I was on 11.4.9. For example, I've had a handful of cases where the car is (correctly, IMO) changing lanes 1.5+ miles ahead of an upcoming exit. In the past it always felt like these happened in the last half to quarter mile and made them feel rushed and/or missed altogether without intervention. I might be fooling myself because I always had 'minimal lane changes' on in the past, but the required lane changes to follow route do seem different. Can't say for sure.
There were some changes made to the V11 stack.

12.3 dropped for 2019 Model 3 last night.

I am not a fan of the forced single pull for FSD. I am going to mistakenly put it into cruise one time...
What do you mean by forced single pull for FSD? Can you no longer configure whether to use a single vs. double pull to enable FSD?

I finally got a chance to use v12.3 on both city streets and the highway (without navigation on the highway). Lane changes seemed better and earlier on city streets. I did notice a couple of new issues:
  1. The car would not always go at the set speed even if there was no one in front of me. This was inconsistent.
  2. I enabled Minimize Lane Changes at the beginning of my drive as I always do, but when the car made an unexpected lane change, I saw that Minimize Lane Changes had turned off, and I had to re-enable it.
I didn’t notice any difference on the highway, but it wasn’t a long drive. Manually initiated auto lane changes were still not smooth, same as v11.

What do you mean by forced single pull for FSD? Can you no longer configure whether to use a single vs. double pull to enable FSD?
With 12.3 enabled, TACC is not available and single-pull FSD activation is set, regardless of your previous setting. So, if you use the wheel to take over, you go back to full manual operation, not TACC.

Got 12.3 on my 21 M3LR yesterday.

First drive was surprisingly good and smooth.

Second drive, car took what should be a very standard and easy right turn and hit the curb with the rear right wheel, causing a small curb rash. Hopefully it didn't mess up anything else.

I picked up 12.3 over the weekend, and I'm afraid my limited use has been extremely disappointing. I've not been out on the highway as yet, but the street behavior leaves me very concerned:
The car will not do the speed limit anywhere. I've got my profile set to assertive and to go 10% over the speed limit, but I can't get the thing to do the speed limit in any location, even when I've used the accelerator to push it up to my normal desired speed. It wants to stay 1-3 mph below the posted speed on a clear day with a clearly lined road and no traffic.
Stop signs: the car stops the very millisecond it can recognize the stop sign 600-800 feet ahead. It brakes hard, then tries to recover at 15 mph or so. My biggest concern with 12.3 is getting rear ended: going from 50mph to 15mph in a hurry in a place nobody should be baking is a very big safety issue.
The lack of planning ahead is disappointing still... With 12.3, the car chose the initial good lane, proceeded through the intersection, but then proceeded to move to the right lane - at a point where the right lane was about to end less than 200 feet up. It can clearly see there is no future there - even on the screen - but still wanted to change lanes (to go around nobody?) only to have to merge back again?…

Very similar experience and frustration. On my daily commute the car insists upon moving into the left lane with a right exit lane 2/10 of a mile away. This has been ongoing. Even worse now is also when I command a lane change often the car refuses to comply even when there is zero traffic on the road. When the speed limit increases on a road the car reflects the increased speed limit on the screen but car doesn’t Accelerate until I push the pedal, when limit decreases car decelerates below speed limit and must be forced back up. Changing the settings on the speed control does in the auto pilot screen does nothing.

The lack of planning ahead is disappointing still. I have a well-marked but interesting intersection that most updates never seem to get quite right. I long for 11.3.4 which seemed to be incredibly good at predicting routes and lane changes, but everything since has been a crap shoot. With 12.3, the car chose the initial good lane, proceeded through the intersection, but then proceeded to move to the right lane - at a point where the right lane was about to end less than 200 feet up. It can clearly see there is no future there - even on the screen - but still wanted to change lanes (to go around nobody?) only to have to merge back again?
The car decided to drive down into a parking lane in a clearly marked roadway in advance of making a right turn 800 feet up. This is yet another new first.
I could never drive with this with my wife in the car. She hates the thing as it is, but the braking behaviors for no apparent reason are a serious risk of accident. Some of the other decisions are quite concerning, but as much as I looked forward to this update, it's been quite surprisingly discomforting for my first couple of rides.
I'll still try it out on the highway. I'm in software, so I understand what testing is all about. I'll still give it a try in the city on my own, but this is a very disappointing release thus far, and one I can't really share with my wife in the car.
I have the same issue with FSD going lower than posted speed limit on open straight roads with little or no traffic.
kind of useless for cruise control. The scroll wheel to set speed in FSD no longer works. I continue to mess with the settings looking for a work around.
Progress is a wonderful thing. :rolleyes:

I'm shocked.. 12.3 FSDb is stunning for me. I've had four drives, engaging ON for auto-speed correct. First two were flawless and VERY different, the last two were with my wife. She HATES FSD of every kind, and she was in shock as well. She thought it was EXCELLENT, except for one single double-hesitation on a left.. the Tesla jerked two small times before taking off

I've never seen in all this time such a great improvement, and with auto-speed correct on it did INCREDIBLE in a tiny neighborhood (it went way too fast before) and VERY well (keeping up with traffic instead of listening to the 'fake' construction zone speed limit)

I'm no Whole Earth tweet guy, or whatever the name is, fanboy.. I will not glow unless it's warranted. My first drives were STUNNING and much much improved. Biggest step I've seen since the advent of the FSDb program