Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 12.3 GA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First run on 12 this morning. Lots of speed issues on the highway, it detected poor weather conditions several time and reduced speed. Roads were perfect but it was overcast. It thought a left exit ramp as a passing lane and tried to use it. Tried to pass on the right several times. Nags are a little crazy, enable FSD and reach out to turn of wipers and it nags to pay attention.

Reactions: DanCar
If you can’t figure that out, you probably shouldn’t be driving. Getting tired of everything being geared to the lowest common denominator.
With my 2018 MS it was very easy to get into the right mode using the stalk, i.e. single or double pull. However with the stupid scroll wheel click on my 2022 MS I never got the hang of it, so I changed single click to be FSD and never used TACC, even though I prefer TACC on freeways. One of the many reasons I hate the lack of stalks.

Put it another way, the lack of stalks was, and continues to be, a safety issue in my opinion. My personal observation of MS drivers is those without stalks use their indicators far lass than those with stalks.

With my 2018 MS it was very easy to get into the right mode using the stalk, i.e. single or double pull. However with the stupid scroll wheel click on my 2022 MS I never got the hang of it, so I changed single click to be FSD and never used TACC, even though I prefer TACC on freeways. One of the many reasons I hate the lack of stalks.

Put it another way, the lack of stalks was, and continues to be, a safety issue in my opinion. My personal observation of MS drivers is those without stalks use their indicators far lass than those with stalks.
My "old" MS had stalks and I like it but my refreshed MS does not but I got used to it withing a week of driving it. Hopefully FSD V12.x will obviate the need for turn signals!

I have reported to Tesla the same issues that you describe. I also noted that disabling FSD and going to AP results in the car centering back into the lane, with no more right side or onto the shoulder preference.
I also had reported a bug in the version 11 FSD that resulted in my GPS screen location to be misrepresented by hundreds or thousands of feet from where I actually was. That was later corrected in another software update.
I activated FSD again this morning and the vehicle immediately moved to the extreme right side of the lane and drove in the gutter. I canceled FSD and a few minutes later I again activated FSD. This time I opened the rear view camera along with the fender rear view cameras.
The car immediately moved to the center and completed the navigation to my destination without any further problems of extreme right side of the lane tendencies.
PROBLEM SOLVED.
On the way home I again had the vehicle drive to the white road edge line. Again, I activated the rear view camera and, again that solved the right side of the lane issue.
I found that once activated, the camera could be turned off and the FSD would retain the centering of the driving lane.
I am still operating on 12.3.

Some interesting new discoveries with 12.3

1. Force FSD to make a turn outside the navigation blue line by holding down the turn signal. - This is something I wanted for so long! Situation: Navigation plots the blue line but I want to go down a different street, so without exiting FSD or playing with the screen force a turn by grabbing the left stalk and holding it up (R) or down (L). FSD will now turn that direction. This only works for me at stop signs though. If you let go of the stalk it will attempt to go back to the original blue line. If you were half way into the turn then you are left there of course.

2. Speed training: Pull down right stalk to lock in the new speed. Situation: Highway, autospeed too slow. Press gas pedal but FSD keeps going right back to the slow speed. FIX: press accelerator pedal, when desired speed is hit bloink down on the right stalk. Now FSD will use that speed.

I activated FSD again this morning and the vehicle immediately moved to the extreme right side of the lane and drove in the gutter. I canceled FSD and a few minutes later I again activated FSD. This time I opened the rear view camera along with the fender rear view cameras.
The car immediately moved to the center and completed the navigation to my destination without any further problems of extreme right side of the lane tendencies.
PROBLEM SOLVED.
On the way home I again had the vehicle drive to the white road edge line. Again, I activated the rear view camera and, again that solved the right side of the lane issue.
I found that once activated, the camera could be turned off and the FSD would retain the centering of the driving lane.
I am still operating on 12.3.
In spite of the excellent performance of yesterday, and thinking I had found a hack to fix the right curb and lane problem I couldn't reproduce those results today.
After raving about how good the results were yesterday, I took my wife for a short demo ride today. Complete failure. The car still drove extremely close to the curb (wife cringed and warned me that we were too close and would damage the wheels), and on non curbed roads, the car crossed the right side solid white line onto the shoulder, missed two lane changes and turns.
I can't understand why there would be so much difference in performance?
Hopefully Tesla will fix that issue with the next release.

First run on 12 this morning. Lots of speed issues on the highway, it detected poor weather conditions several time and reduced speed. Roads were perfect but it was overcast. It thought a left exit ramp as a passing lane and tried to use it. Tried to pass on the right several times. Nags are a little crazy, enable FSD and reach out to turn of wipers and it nags to pay attention.

12.x still has old technology on divided highways, and isn't any better. Only slower street driving is on the new neural network planning technology, and works better (though with new problems) than before. Also what you show is a problem with bad mapping and maybe inaccurate GPS.

If you set the auto speed limit (new in 12.x) you see the speed limit display change when it flips from the neural network driver to the robot driver when it no longer says "max".

Wow, first time it ever worked for me. I noticed that Tesla had turned loose a bunch more FSB updates, so I checked my phone to see if I was one of the recipients. Nope, nothing.

Then I went out to my car and opened the software menu. It told me "Checking for updates". 60 seconds later it was downloading the new version. Not bad!

In spite of the excellent performance of yesterday, and thinking I had found a hack to fix the right curb and lane problem I couldn't reproduce those results today.
After raving about how good the results were yesterday, I took my wife for a short demo ride today. Complete failure. The car still drove extremely close to the curb (wife cringed and warned me that we were too close and would damage the wheels), and on non curbed roads, the car crossed the right side solid white line onto the shoulder, missed two lane changes and turns.
I can't understand why there would be so much difference in performance?
Hopefully Tesla will fix that issue with the next release.
Try recalibrating your cameras. Should only take about six to ten miles of highway driving.

Newbie here using FSD. Coming into our subdivision the route takes a further route instead of a direct route. How do I have the route change to the “detour” to turn at a street that takes me directly toward my home’s street? Or, for example, have the route go a more personal preferred way? I have tried holding the turn signal approaching the intersection I want to turn at but no success. I have also tried putting a waypoint on the road I want to turn at (which works) but then it wants to stop there. If I drive past it the route wants to circle back to that point.

On the dislike list: I do not like how the car hugs the right curb driving down a 2 lane road, and especially making a right hand turn it makes me uncomfortable thinking it is going to scrape the curb. Yet turning right onto a 4 lane road the car does not turn sharp enough to stay in the right lane. It slowly moves over to the middle of the right lane.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/solutions.

Credit where credit is due. 12.3.3 is a vast improvement over 12.3.1. My speed problems have been mostly fixed and for the first time ever, the car drives properly and safely on winding two-lane country roads that don’t have lane markers. Also the car drives much more like a human and less like a machine. My wife noticed that immediately. Kudos to the whole self-driving team.

Reactions: RobK and JB47394
Credit where credit is due. 12.3.3 is a vast improvement over 12.3.1. My speed problems have been mostly fixed and for the first time ever, the car drives properly and safely on winding two-lane country roads that don’t have lane markers. Also the car drives much more like a human and less like a machine. My wife noticed that immediately. Kudos to the whole self-driving team.
Funny, I feel just the opposite. I was very excited with 12.3. First time like I really felt like the system had gained significant ground. But while I just thought it was a name change (FSD Supervised vs FSD Beta), 12.3.3 brought back many of my 11.4 daemons: unexplained slow downs, really stupid lane selection, and the like. I guess it comes down to variations amongst environments. I do hope the next 12.x includes a new end-to-end highway stack, though.

In your Autopilot settings, select Traffic Aware Cruise Control (TACC). Then a single action will enable it.

If you want to switch back and forth between TACC and FSD, you'll need to create two driver profiles, one that enables each assist, and switch between the assists by switching between the profiles. At least, that's what folks say they've done.

I assume the reason behind this is that drivers weren't always sure what assist they had activated, so now it's always a single action to activate. It's a critical safety system, so any confusion could quickly lead to an accident.
Two driver profiles is just not reasonable.

As this is a 'critical safety system', it should not engage the AI for steering without my explicit approval. I have had my 'Autosteer' set to double-click ever since I bought my Model S.

When the full FSD was uploaded to my car, it disabled by double-click. I WANT IT BACK.

Another solution would be, as with the wiper controls, to have the right scroll wheel enable, and the left scroll wheel select the level of auto-steering desired -- no steering, auto-steer, auto-steer with lane change, auto-steer with lane change and exit ramp, etc...