Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation and energy consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I use the navigation, does it use my typical driving to base the predicted consumption or does it use the average Tesla MY consumption.

For example, if I always drive at 60MPH on the motorway vs 70MPH, does the computer ‘learn’ this and assume I’ll drive at 60MPH and therefore base my consumption on that speed OR does it think that the average speed on a motorway is closer to 70MPH so uses this as it’s predicted energy consumption baseline?

Thanks.

When I use the navigation, does it use my typical driving to base the predicted consumption or does it use the average Tesla MY consumption.

For example, if I always drive at 60MPH on the motorway vs 70MPH, does the computer ‘learn’ this and assume I’ll drive at 60MPH and therefore base my consumption on that speed OR does it think that the average speed on a motorway is closer to 70MPH so uses this as it’s predicted energy consumption baseline?

Thanks.
Possibly the latter but I suspect neither. I think it uses the expected speeds for that route based on average speeds of others + known road conditions like road works etc

I think it uses the expected speeds for that route based on average speeds of others + known road conditions like road works etc
Yes, this. It also now uses wind direction, elevation, temperature and even humidity apparently. If you look at the efficiency app on a longer trip you'll often see notes along the lines of "strong wind from the South cost you an extra 1.5% charge" or similar related to elevation. Both positive or negative for each of those.

I find the predicted arrival SoC% to be very accurate on almost all my drives if I take my driving into account. It's usually a little on the optimistic side, but that's a lot more to do with my driving than the prediction from the computer. I almost always get a note about "heavy acceleration cost you more"...

Reactions: Jason71
From the manual:
The calculation that predicts how much energy you will use is an estimate based on driving style (predicted speed, etc.) and environmental factors (elevation changes, wind speed and direction, ambient and forecasted temperatures, air density and humidity, etc.). As you drive, Model 3 continuously learns how much energy it uses, resulting in improved accuracy over time. It is important to note that Model 3predicts energy usage based on the driving style of the individual vehicle. For example, if you drive aggressively for a period of time, future range predictions will assume higher consumption.