Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

neat idea for the Tesla app? Widget/shortcut for setting temp and unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if it's possible on iOS but on Android it would be really handy to have a shortcut/widget that I could just tap to start the car cooling and/or unlock. Too often I find myself coming out of the mall or supermarket and realising I forgot to start the AC in 100F sun. By the time I have opened the Tesla app, opened the cooling setting I am already at the car. Would be great to just tap an icon directly on the home screen to start the car cooling. Same thing with unlock (say when kids or wife ask me to unlock the car to get something).
Just an idea.. no idea how to communicate it to Tesla but hey

I don't know if it's possible on iOS but on Android it would be really handy to have a shortcut/widget that I could just tap to start the car cooling and/or unlock. Too often I find myself coming out of the mall or supermarket and realising I forgot to start the AC in 100F sun. By the time I have opened the Tesla app, opened the cooling setting I am already at the car. Would be great to just tap an icon directly on the home screen to start the car cooling. Same thing with unlock (say when kids or wife ask me to unlock the car to get something).
Can't you use your voice to tell your Android to turn on the AC? On iOS, you can tell Siri thru the Stats app. Must be an Android app that allows you to do that.

I wish there was a “start car” short cut. I have pin to drive

Can't you use your voice to tell your Android to turn on the AC? On iOS, you can tell Siri thru the Stats app. Must be an Android app that allows you to do that.

I might look into creating a cheaper (maybe free) app that can do this. I don’t need all the functionality of Stats, but being able to control the car with Siri would be cool. I still have my Apple developer account for a couple other free apps I wrote so wouldn’t cost me anything, just gotta find the time.

I've built my own widgets on my home screen in order to do this. I made them using Tasker and the Tasker Plugin for Tesla.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190826-233101.jpg
    Screenshot_20190826-233101.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 226
Can you provide more details on this? I would like to try and do this for my OnePlus
Tasker with the Tesla Plugin will give you access to send commands directly to the car. Not sure how familiar you are with Tasker but I'm going to assume you know the basics of it.

For my A/C widget as an example, I made a few tasks.

1. A/C On - Sends command to turn A/C On
2. A/C Off - Sends command to turn A/C Off
3. Confirm A/C - Popup Dialog to choose A/C On or A/C Off or Cancel
Optional 4. Cancel - Command to cancel the popup dialog

#3 is recommended as a confirmation popup dialog to prevent accidental presses.

For each Task you create, be sure to select an Icon to be displayed. For the Popup Dialog, you'll need to design how that looks (or use the default, I think there is one IIRC). You can design one under the Scene tab in Tasker with 2-3 buttons, with one for each action. When you set up the Popup dialog, you can assign the tasks associated to it (On, Off, Cancel).

Once these have been created, you can add a Tasker Widget (as a Task Shortcut) to your home screen that will open up the popup dialog (Confirm A/C).

Attachments

• 04a-Confirm AC.jpg
    04a-Confirm AC.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 04b-Confirm AC.jpg
    04b-Confirm AC.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 113
  • 03-AC Off.jpg
    03-AC Off.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 02-AC On.jpg
    02-AC On.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 120
  • 01-Tasks.jpg
    01-Tasks.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 06-Scene Editor.jpg
    06-Scene Editor.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 05-Scene.jpg
    05-Scene.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Informative
Reactions: ZappCatt
I was playing with the iOS shortcuts app today and this can easily be done for iOS. With iOS 13 you can even trigger shortcuts based on events, like arriving at / leaving a location, so it'll be possible to do things like disable Sentry mode or Climate control when you're parked at home.

Once I get my car I should be able to whip these up in a couple days. Provided someone else doesn’t beat me to the punch in the mean time.

• Love
Reactions: WilliamG
Tasker with the Tesla Plugin will give you access to send commands directly to the car. Not sure how familiar you are with Tasker but I'm going to assume you know the basics of it.

For my A/C widget as an example, I made a few tasks.

1. A/C On - Sends command to turn A/C On
2. A/C Off - Sends command to turn A/C Off
3. Confirm A/C - Popup Dialog to choose A/C On or A/C Off or Cancel
Optional 4. Cancel - Command to cancel the popup dialog

#3 is recommended as a confirmation popup dialog to prevent accidental presses.

For each Task you create, be sure to select an Icon to be displayed. For the Popup Dialog, you'll need to design how that looks (or use the default, I think there is one IIRC). You can design one under the Scene tab in Tasker with 2-3 buttons, with one for each action. When you set up the Popup dialog, you can assign the tasks associated to it (On, Off, Cancel).

Once these have been created, you can add a Tasker Widget (as a Task Shortcut) to your home screen that will open up the popup dialog (Confirm A/C).

Wow, thanks for that. I am not familiar with Tasker at all and after buying everything needed to do this, I cannot get it to work properly. Will have to figure it out I guess