Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Necessary charging accessories.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my LR MY scheduled for delivery 11/25, and wall charger 18ft delivery next week. I have never owned an EV so out of my depth with all the charging stuff. As far as charging on the road, what accessory(s) are recommended to have access to the most non-Tesla charges/destination chargers?

Initially, probably just the Tesla-to-J1772 adapter. This adapter comes with every Tesla vehicle. ($95 from the Tesla Store if you want to buy a second J1772 adapter to have a spare.)

You will most likely do 90% of your charging at your home location using the Wall Connector. (Until your Wall Connector is installed you can use the Mobile Connector kit that comes with the Tesla vehicle to plug in, charge (slowly) from any standard home 120V outlet.)

If you have charging at your workplace it will most likely be 208V/30A Level 2 charging, just use the J1772 adapter and you will be good to charge at your workplace.

If you take a trip you will most likely want to charge at a Tesla Supercharger location. Tesla recently installed their 20,000th Supercharger. The Navigation system in the Tesla vehicle can display nearby Superchargers. You can also locate charging locations using Google Maps, Plugshare. Also, Abetterrouteplanner is both a phone app and a web site to help you plan EV your road trips.

Just bring along the Mobile Connector with the provided 5-15 plug adapter and you can plug in anywhere there is a standard outlet. For other types of outlets (120V and 240V) determine which type you might actually use, i.e. a dryer outlet, and these can be purchased for $35 each from the Tesla Store. If you are likely to go camping there are 3rd-party (non-Tesla) plug adapters for the TT-30 type outlet that is common at RV campgrounds and also the Tesla NEMA 14-50 plug adapter.

Last edited:
Everything you really "need" is included with the car. Anything else is a preference. You don't even had to have the wall charger if you keep your mobile charger at home and just get the proper $35 adapter.

I actually have two mobility chargers. One at home (with adapter) and one in the car. I have NEVER used the one in the car. Always use Supercharger or "rarely" the (included) J1772 adapter.

FYI, I live in north Dallas, too. When we got our first Tesla in 2013 we were thinking that we would make use of the various non-Tesla chargers around here. Nope. Not once. The range of just our 2013 P85 was sufficient that we could run errands all around town all day without concern, simply plugging in when we returned home.

Our regular trips to Austin to see family, even back then, were satisfied with just the Waco supercharger and trickle charging at the family’s house on 120 volts.

Fast forward to today and there are Tesla superchargers in Plano, Denton, Dallas, and Fort Worth that ensure that even the most demanding day scooting all over the entire metroplex is not an issue.

In nearly 200,000 miles across three Teslas in seven years we’ve never had to charge anywhere in the DFW metroplex on any non-Tesla charger. (We’ve done so “for fun” just because we were somewhere and it was free, for example, Whole Foods, Cinemark theatres, Stonebriar mall, and for those we used the J1772 adapter that comes with the car, which is a common plug on the chargers at such places.)

Last edited:
As far as charging on the road, what accessory(s) are recommended to have access to the most non-Tesla charges/destination chargers?
Basic answer, as a few people have mentioned is: nothing. This isn't 7 or 8 years ago, where things were tough, and you had to have a lot of plug options and charge at strange places. Supercharger coverage is really extensive now, so for the vast majority of people, and most common trips on fairly major highways, it's just covered by Superchargers, and you won't need other adapters. Here's the constantly updated user-maintained map where people keep adding even the ones that have been discovered with permits or construction started. It's kind of neat to see where they are being worked on.
www.supercharge.info

If some specific scenario comes up where you need to go some place that definitely doesn't have Supercharger coverage, or you know you are going to a house or building that has some kind of outlet you want to use, then that's worth an ask, and it should be simple to figure that out, but at this point, there really aren't some necessary extras that everyone needs.

That supercharge.info page gets most of its information from here, and if you click on a dot on the map, one of the options says "Discuss", which links to the thread here for that Supercharger. But it's just too cumbersome combing through all of the regional sections here, so that consolidates them in map form and has a nice updates page, where you can just look to see what's been added or changed recently.

• Love
Reactions: meh_
Thanks to everyone for the great info.

A recommendation from a Model S owner (not me of course) is to use the PlugShare app. He said that except on a trip, he never pays to charge. However in our area, I've noticed a significant decrease in the number of free charging locations.

Aside: with our evening electric rate at 1/3rd of the day time rate, our model Y energy cost is less than 10% of our MB ML430 and 20% of our previous MB GLK250 diesel.

The charging and NEMA standards were super helpful to me when I was in your situation a couple of months ago: Articles – TeslaTap

I just hand a 5-15 and 5-20 adapter in my car with the mobile connector. Don’t think I’ll need a 14-50 or a TT-30 adapter because if I visit campgrounds, I’ll use the 5-20. But you might want to have these depending on the area/locations you’ll be visiting.