Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need a HPWC around Windham ASAP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have a HPWC avail 80a near Windham mountain NY?

Just picked up an 85d and left house with 243 rated miles and just barely made it to Windham with 20 left distance from NYC to Windham about 140miles.....didn't figure it was going to take that much range .....help!!!! The Windham chargers are way too slow

Your best bet might be to just charge enough where you are to get to the Albany supercharger, which seems to be ~60 miles away. It's a bit out of the way if you're going back to NYC but it'll likely be much faster overall, depending on how long you planned to stay at Windham. I'm guessing a combination of speed, temperature, and elevation caused you to use range faster than expected.

If you're going to be at Windham all day, you might be OK aiming for Paramus (120mi) or Greenwich CT (130mi) and supercharging there.

Apparantely I used a lot of range since it was cold.... Currently charging at 20mi/hr ...at this rate I won't have anywhere near what I need....plan it hit the Paramus charger on the way back...but would really need to have A LOT of range for insurance smh

According to evtripplanner.com (and some guesses on my part) you should charge to at least 150 rated miles if you're going directly to Paramus. If you're charging at 20mph in Windham, again depending on how long you planned to stay there, you might get home sooner with a detour to Albany (for which evtripplanner says you need at least 65 rated miles).

I hope you made it home all right, or are on your way. This is a good reminder to:

1. Check evtripplanner.com before you leave and plan accordingly
2. Range charge before you leave
3. Heat/cool the car before you leave, while plugged in
4. Use range mode
5. Use seat heaters and dial down the cabin heat
6. Keep an eye on range and drive slower if necessary
7. Keep in mind that brand new tires get a little less range

If you do most or all of those things, you should have a good experience. Hopefully this one wasn't too bad.

Now that I think about it, I'm going to make this a checklist before road trips. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I hope you made it home all right, or are on your way. This is a good reminder to:

1. Check evtripplanner.com before you leave and plan accordingly
2. Range charge before you leave
3. Heat/cool the car before you leave, while plugged in
4. Use range mode
5. Use seat heaters and dial down the cabin heat
6. Keep an eye on range and drive slower if necessary
7. Keep in mind that brand new tires get a little less range

If you do most or all of those things, you should have a good experience. Hopefully this one wasn't too bad.

Now that I think about it, I'm going to make this a checklist before road trips. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Thanks for the checklist.....yea I normally do check these things but I just assumed I had more than enough buffer.....I am currently charging at a 14-50 that I found on plug share thanks to Michael....gonna stay here for about an hour or so then head to Paramus supercharger. Left Windham with about 155 rated and made it to the plug share home with 140. Was about 10 miles actual miles......

Other things to consider - often times when you have unexpectedly bad range on a particular trip it is because of unexpected headwinds or unaccounted for elevation changes. If either one of those 2 issues were a factor in your high energy usage on your outbound leg then chances are they will work in your favor on your return trip (elevation going from higher to lower or winds that are now tail winds).

Mike

Stopped at the 14-50 for about an hour and half....picked up about 45 miles....left with 185 made it to the Paramus supercharger with about 43 rated.

Picked up some shake shack and ate in car. Charged about an hour and got back up to 180 and left for home.....chargers were slow..I switched to the 4th stall after about 15 min and was around 70-80 kW....maybe due to cold.