Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need advice: MVPA says "New/Previous Service Demo Vehicle"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey there. First night reservation holder (late night).

I recently configured and put in my order. Did it a few days after they announced the production changeover from LR to SR. But I told them I couldn't take delivery until early December. Anyways, original vehicle came in a few weeks ago and I still held by my delivery date. So then they sold it to someone else apparently (no contact with me they were doing this).

Then they said, no problem, we can place another order. I was confused as I thought production was over for LR at this time. Long story short, another car is available almost immediately (within a week of them placing another order) but the MVPA says "New/Previous Service Demo Vehicle". Paperwork says 61 miles. Obviously this is supposed to be a brand new car.

I haven't had a new car for 18 years (loved my Acura so why spend the $$). This is a big chunk of change and I'm really just looking for advice from all of you well seasoned Tesla folks. The service center is about 70 miles away so I can't just go there to look at it before scheduled appt next week. Any advice?

I wouldnt call myself "well seasoned tesla person" as I just took delivery but I do know car sales in general pretty well, so here is my thoughts.

Teslas paperwork usually says 50 miles on the paperwork, but from reading here and talking to a manager at a busy telsa store, never used ones have between 12-20 miles on them.

Given what I know about how car sales work, I would bet that the car you are looking at was sold to someone, and they brought it back. 61 miles is too much for a new car, and too little for a demo car... so it feels to me like a "returned" car that was fixed.

My opinion only but given that this is the first new car you have bought in 18 years, I would NOT make that specific car your first one. I would tell them you are not interested in a demo car but want one that has 20 miles or less on it, the closer to 12-14 miles the better actually.

On the " I held to my delivery date and they sold the other car" thing, its in their paperwork somewhere that you have to take delivery within 7 days of them matching you with a vin, or they will sell that vin to someone else, so thats within bounds for them. Unlike a traditional dealer, they dont have places to put cars for long periods of time like regular dealers do. Its different than a traditional dealer sale, thats for sure.

Appreciate the feedback. Yes, I understand they had a right to sell the car to someone else. I'm paying cash but the $$ was not available until this month. Again, I felt pressured that I HAD to order the LR right away when they announced the production changeover. I have emailed them for an explanation as to this. We shall see what they say.

I put TONS of miles on my cars. Two great Acuras in 25+ years, but blew a head gasket after 378,000 on last one (it was 104 in Solvang that day) so had to get a used car for a year while waiting on the Model 3. Ended up with a used BMW 325xi manual trans (best thing out there when I needed a gap car). But I HATE the BMW. I have driven the Model 3 and was a happy gal!

Appreciate the feedback. Yes, I understand they had a right to sell the car to someone else. I'm paying cash but the $$ was not available until this month. Again, I felt pressured that I HAD to order the LR right away when they announced the production changeover. I have emailed them for an explanation as to this. We shall see what they say.

I put TONS of miles on my cars. Two great Acuras in 25+ years, but blew a head gasket after 378,000 on last one (it was 104 in Solvang that day) so had to get a used car for a year while waiting on the Model 3. Ended up with a used BMW 325xi manual trans (best thing out there when I needed a gap car). But I HATE the BMW. I have driven the Model 3 and was a happy gal!

While 61 miles is a new car as the other poster said, it was used for something. it could have those miles being driven from one place to another (although tesla in san diego told me they flat bed cars from one delivery center to another to not put extra miles on them).

you are paying cash and a sizable amount of cash too. If it were me, I would ask to be matched to another car with 25 miles or less on it, but thats just because, to me, its a sizable amount of money and you should be happy with it. The fact you are asking about it means it bothers you, so.. dont settle (imo).

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
I just dook of delivery of my LR rwd yesterday with 7 miles on it. The only flaws were in the paint from transport (to hawaii) and the from the factory. Quite a few paint ussues actually. If someone drove it around for 50 miles or so, I wouldn't worry. Just look it over as usual.

I forgot to mention that tesla offered to pay for some paint correction.

Last edited:
Reactions: tam-o-shanter
Picked up the car this week (mostly due to delays by me). It's really beautiful (see new avatar). It does have a few very minor scuffs that I can buff out when I get time (not scratches, just some dirt smudges). No doubt it was driven a bit but not sure for what use, of course. I did try to get a small discount but they were so busy and basically it was "Take it or leave it". So that was a bit rude.

One fit issue with rear light (opposite port side) that they did record. Was built in JULY. Drives incredible! A young associate of mine drove it today and she said it was like a car of the future (duh!). I'm super happy!!

Picked up the car this week (mostly due to delays by me). It's really beautiful (see new avatar). It does have a few very minor scuffs that I can buff out when I get time (not scratches, just some dirt smudges). No doubt it was driven a bit but not sure for what use, of course. I did try to get a small discount but they were so busy and basically it was "Take it or leave it". So that was a bit rude.

One fit issue with rear light (opposite port side) that they did record. Was built in JULY. Drives incredible! A young associate of mine drove it today and she said it was like a car of the future (duh!). I'm super happy!!

Glad you are happy with the car. I wasn't sure what you were going to do. I suspect maybe the car was a showroom display car and might have been driven off transport and into the store. July sounds like about the right timeframe for when cars were being put on display and then rotated among stores here in California. With so little mileage on it I could see that being a possibility. Elon just released all the Model 3s they have in stores for sale so thinking it was one of those. Nice color, should look good over there by the sand and ocean. So with a July build this must be a LR vehicle then. AWD?

Don't know if you are interested but there's a TMC Tesla Central California Coast owners club you might want to check out if you are interested in an occasional road trip with fellow Tesla owners. A number of the wineries between SLO's supercharger and the Buelton one have HPWC L2 chargers for patrons. We almost moved down there a number of years ago, loved the area and have been back a number of times. Recently went to a summer concert at the Presqu'ile Winery in Santa Maria high on the ridge. Stunning property, view and enjoyed the wine and light food they had. Bob's Well Bread Bakery in Los Alamos is another breakfast/lunch spot we enjoy (charger in the back of the property). I know you'll enjoy driving your new car around the valley there. And you'll find the handling and regen through places like Cuesta Grade and down into Santa Barbara such a pleasure.

Congratulations!

@ tam-o-shanter: "Was built in JULY." I also have a July build car. Mine was delivered in early October, so I had some concerns about why it took three months from build to sale. So far, I've only experienced problems normally associated with any new car purchase. And the Service Center has been very responsive, so don't hesitate to get any issue, no matter how minor, resolved. It's a great car.

@ tam-o-shanter: "Was built in JULY." I also have a July build car. Mine was delivered in early October, so I had some concerns about why it took three months from build to sale. So far, I've only experienced problems normally associated with any new car purchase. And the Service Center has been very responsive, so don't hesitate to get any issue, no matter how minor, resolved. It's a great car.
How did you find out when your car was built?

How did you find out when your car was built?
Its on the white sticker on the door jam on the drivers side, where the tire information is. There is a date in the upper left hand corner in that "MFD by Tesla, Inc white sticker. The date there is the MFR date (month / year) of the car.

You can actually get the actual DAY of manufacturer by getting someone at tesla (like your owner advisor) to tell you the "birthday" of the car.... but failing that you can easily see month / year above.

Its on the white sticker on the door jam on the drivers side, where the tire information is. There is a date in the upper left hand corner in that "MFD by Tesla, Inc white sticker. The date there is the MFR date (month / year) of the car.

You can actually get the actual DAY of manufacturer by getting someone at tesla (like your owner advisor) to tell you the "birthday" of the car.... but failing that you can easily see month / year above.
ty

They sold you a showroom car or test vehicle. Most people got their cars under 50 mile (to be on the safer side in my estimate). For example, my RWD came with 7 miles, built in April and delivered in April. My AWD came with 6 miles, built in September and delivered in September. Both paper work showed 50miles.