Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need an Avoid garages button

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a recent road trip back from Indiana to Pittsburgh, the routing took me into downtown Columbus, OH to a parking garage to charge. I had to back track down the highway to another charger rather than pay a parking fee to charge. Not sure why it picked one in downtown in a garage, there were plenty to choose from along the rte, I didn't need to exit the highway into a city to a parking garage. Hopefully they will add a button to avoid garages when on a multi state roadtrip. First time I experienced this. I've run this trip before and it never put me in a garage in a city. Avoid garages button would be nice under the nav settings.

As someone who works in downtown Columbus, that's the last place I will charge. But along the I-70 corridor you are talking about an 8 to 10 mile detour to pickup a SC in the burbs.

I've learned to double check/adjust SC recommendations - they just aren't all that smart. Learned that in Normal, Illinois - just not real convenient for someone passing through. It's far from normal. 😁

On a recent road trip back from Indiana to Pittsburgh, the routing took me into downtown Columbus, OH to a parking garage to charge. I had to back track down the highway to another charger rather than pay a parking fee to charge. Not sure why it picked one in downtown in a garage, there were plenty to choose from along the rte, I didn't need to exit the highway into a city to a parking garage. Hopefully they will add a button to avoid garages when on a multi state roadtrip. First time I experienced this. I've run this trip before and it never put me in a garage in a city. Avoid garages button would be nice under the nav settings.
I've been to two parking garage Superchargers here in California, and they both give you 90 minutes free parking in a Tesla since they know you're there for the Supercharger. I would imagine most garages would do that, otherwise what's the point in hosting a Supercharger?

That's interesting... I've wondered this about one of the Philly superchargers that is in a parking garage. I always just assumed it was $20 extra to charge there. I'll have to check if they have that policy also.
The MOM's next door to the garage in Philly will validate your parking with a $10 purchase. So parking is free as long as you buy some overpriced granola.

Reactions: cobra