Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After years of waiting and searching every Tesla listing I've finally found 2 that I need advice on choosing between.
Option 1 - a 2012 p85 with 42k miles with the extended warranty.
Option 2 - a 2013 p85 with 53k miles with the extended warranty. Armored paint.
Both have the same list price, pano roof, 21 inch silver rims, high sound, tech package etc...
Looking for some feedback, advise, or comments in general. Is the year that important for later resell?
Thanks!!!

Soooo I was in the CPO market shopping for a P85 before the great CPO removal of 2016. I would be patient and wait a bit. Either the flood gates are going to open soon with new CPO cars, or somewhere there's going to be a huge amount of used Tesla's auctioned off. There's several threads here with speculation of what's going on and the reasoning for them being pulled which I'll let you look into if you wish.
When it comes to the car, I'm shooting for something in the 2014 model year at least. I'm looking at Vin's and shooting for something over 35-40k hoping most of the initial door handle/drive unit/pano roof bugs are all resolved. That's just my thought. Or you could wait for an 85D with autopilot which has same zero to 60 as P85. I'm also shooting for under 25k miles.

Update: and check out Hanks site ev-cpo. It's awesome.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I didn't even consider the 2012 having the A Type battery so great call out.
BigAirHarper, I've been watching and waiting for the flood of CPO's back to Hanks/CPO site and I believe that wait is almost over. Regardless of that, both Tesla's are priced just below $55k which is inline with the Historical section of Hanks site for CPO P85's. I'm leaning towards the 2013 with 53k miles since the extended warranty will take me to ~80-90k miles. Would this be a mistake for later resell when my model 3 is ready mid-2018(fingers crossed).

Yea something tells me April will be a good month, at least my fingers are crossed that we see the return of the CPO market. A 2013 with that high of mileage may be tough to resale in a couple of years with another 30k+ miles on it....just my thoughts. But $55k seems reasonable with warranty. You got to wonder with the model 3 coming out in 2018, how many people will be looking for super high mileage Model S's?

I would definitely ask about the battery in the 2012. As it's been done with other very early VIN's, with A batteries, they went ahead and swapped the battery to a newer "refurbished" pack proactively.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and advice. After asking about the battery they told me it was swapped with an upgraded battery so I felt much about about that option and...... bought the 2012 Signature P85 with 40k miles for $54k! I left out that this is through the Tesla CPO because I was afraid of someone coming in and taking it from under me. Great news everyone, Tesla CPO's are coming back very soon but they are keeping them off the CPO site. I was presented with 5 P85's for under $60 and 5-7 S85's for under $58k. Almost all of them were used and not inventory cars so if you are interested you should reach out to a Tesla rep.

I really appreciate everyone's feedback and advice. After asking about the battery they told me it was swapped with an upgraded battery so I felt much about about that option and...... bought the 2012 Signature P85 with 40k miles for $54k! I left out that this is through the Tesla CPO because I was afraid of someone coming in and taking it from under me. Great news everyone, Tesla CPO's are coming back very soon but they are keeping them off the CPO site. I was presented with 5 P85's for under $60 and 5-7 S85's for under $58k. Almost all of them were used and not inventory cars so if you are interested you should reach out to a Tesla rep.

Whoa this is great news. I wonder if the website for CPO will be gone and it will just be something you have to visit a store to access? Who did you speak with, someone at a store near you? I'll definitely be calling a Tesla rep, does anyone know if there are reps for regions, say the entire southeast? Or is it done store by store?

I was told by my rep that they are only taking store referrals right now. It didn't sound like they would be going up on the site because demand is so HIGH for the lower priced CPO's. He told me that all of the new CPO's are sold within 24-48 hours after hitting his desk just from people waiting on calls from him or sold from other areas. If you PM me I can give you his information. What are you looking for because I still have the options he sent me yesterday night. It sounded like they were going quick!