Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help adjusting wiper fluid nozzle for 2012 early vin S85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a P02xxx early vin 2012 S85. Recently the wiper fluid nozzle went out of alignment, it's shooting up and over the car, almost hitting the car behind me. Embarrassing to say the least. I tried to adjust the nozzle hole but it is extremely hard to access, being attached to under the hood. I find that if the hood is closed, I can see it, but can't reach it with any tool because it's so recessed. If I open the hood, I can see it better, but the nozzle hole is facing down (towards the car) so I am pretty much working blind poking around and guessing my adjustment.

So has anyone had good success adjusting them yourself and can you recommend any techniques or tools?

It is hard to adjust the nozzles, for the reasons you specified. I use a unfolded safety pin taped to a small stick about 12 inches long to insert in the nozzle sprayers. With the hood closed and a strong focused lighting source you'll be able to see the spray holes in the nozzle assembly. Adjusting is just a trial and error process. It only takes a tiny movement of the sprayer to make a lot of difference in the angle of spray.

BTW, if you don't have a fender cover you should at least cover the fenders with towels or a blanket before leaning in to do the adjustment. Belt buckles, jeans rivets, etc. can so easily leave scratches in the paint, and you won't be able to avoid leaning into the fender surfaces while you are doing the adjustments.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: xanatos and PrGrPa
After having to adjust the nozzles frequently (using the "pin" tool) on early VIN S P85, I gave up - and asked Tesla to install the newer "fan spray" nozzles, which seem to stay in adjustment much better.

If you're having adjustment issues with the early nozzles, see if a Service Center can do a replacement for you. It shouldn't take much work for Tesla to do this - and might be something a mobile van could also do.

Was well worth the small cost to get this done.

Reactions: xanatos
Thanks everyone, your answers were very helpful!
I discovered that the probe on my multimeter happens to work ok for adjusting the nozzle, since it has a somewhat of a long handle with a pin at the end. So I have been trying that. But so far it seems like the nozzle either ends up being way too high or way too low, it's difficult to get any fine control over the adjustment. I will keep trying, but maybe that nozzle replacement will be good idea as well... :)

Before having the replacements installed, I was adjusting the nozzles every month or two - and it took a lot of hit-and-miss adjustments (plus a lot of washer fluid) before I could get the nozzles to hit the right place on the windshield.

After the replacement - haven't had to do any adjustments.

Well worth the cost...

Reactions: xanatos
Before having the replacements installed, I was adjusting the nozzles every month or two - and it took a lot of hit-and-miss adjustments (plus a lot of washer fluid) before I could get the nozzles to hit the right place on the windshield.

After the replacement - haven't had to do any adjustments.

Well worth the cost...
How much was it to have the replacements installed? I’m quite frustrated with our spray nozzles & the difficulty adjusting them…