Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

poor wiper performance for refreshed Model S (windshield wiper nozzle issue)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During a recently big snowstorm, I noticed my passenger wiper has noticeable poor wiping performance than my driving side wiper. the problem is the windshield fluid can not reach the far right side of the window, resulting in poor wiping performance while the windshield is dirty (e.g. during snowing conditions).

After I back home, I've tried to use my phone (slow motion) to capture how the wiping works on my 2022 Model S and noticed that the nozzle on passenger wiper has less pressure from the nozzle than the driver side one. (see attached picture, first is the driver side wiper IMG_1245.JPG, the second is the passenger side wiper IMG_1244.JPG)

Because the passenger side wiper is responsible for wiping the autopilot camera, the poor performance of the wiping resulting the auto-pilot suddenly panic-out (autopilot suddenly quit ), does anyone else has similar issue or can take a look at the nozzle to see if such difference is common for all refreshed Model S?

Appreciate anyone's input, Thanks!

I have not experienced this issue on my S Plaid. However, looking at your pictures it appears the the drivers side washer has 4 fluid streams and the passenger side only has 2 squirting out the end.

Perhaps the passenger one has 2 ports clogged. If so a safety pin may work to remove the debris.

My wipers have been poor performers since the day I bought the car (upper third of the windshield remains dirty). And the washer nozzles keep drifting out of alignment. Never had that in any car before. Attempts at service haven't helped.

I set up a service appointment because I thought that my passenger side windshield wiper was having issues and possibly was out of alignment but the more I studied it when I was using the windshield wiper fluid I noticed that the driver side windshield wiper is basically just splashing the fluid onto the passenger side. It takes probably three or four more swipes in order to get the passenger side clean from the splash that's being caused by the driver side. The technician came in a Model S and noticed that his was doing the exact same thing so he didn't have a fix for it. I'm hoping they figure something out soon.

I have not experienced this issue on my S Plaid. However, looking at your pictures it appears the the drivers side washer has 4 fluid streams and the passenger side only has 2 squirting out the end.

Perhaps the passenger one has 2 ports clogged. If so a safety pin may work to remove the debris.
I’ve setup an service appointment couple of month ago, the technician said everything is normal and that’s how the new wiper system designed in refreshed model S, there is nothing they can do even I raised up the poor wiping performance on passenger wiper may impact the auto pilot camera.

Since this snow season, I recently noticed passenger wiper somehow seems improved. (Even it is still worse than my previous Tesla), most time, the top part of passenger side windshield can be cleaned in couple of wipes, and the water to clean the top section is actually from driver side wiper.( the driver side wiper pushed the water to passenger side)

You can adjust to spray nozzle so it sprays farther on the passenger side which corrected the issue on mine. Just insert a sewing needle into the nozzle about 1/4" or more and the ball style nozzle can be pointed to your liking. Maybe a little trial and error involved but easily done.