Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help with toe adjustment model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently purchased a 2021 S Plaid. After reading about inner rear tire wear I decided to check my alignment. It was quite a lot off so I installed the shims for reducing negative rear camber. I installed 1/8 inch thick shims. The 20mm toe hex was difficult to turn. On one side of the car even with the shims installed I still have -2.5* of camber. I decided to install two more 1/8" shims in an attempt to get it closer to the -1.5* camber on the drivers side after it's shims. Now the 20mm adjusting hex won't turn at all even with a cheater wrench on the 223mm end of my open end wrench. Apparently the multiple control rods only allow for minimum adjustment. Even with adjustable upper arms the same problem should still occur. All either is doing is lengthening the upper control arm. It's not the turnbuckle threads. I removed the tie rod and the threads turn by hand. How can I get my rear passenger side adjusted?

Review this thread:

And look for the printout of my before and after alignment numbers. My post is near the end of the thread.

With respect to rear toe, I have seen a couple of YouTubers turn the locknuts the wrong way and then, finally, figure it out. It doesn’t sound like this is your problem.

Joe

Review this thread:

And look for the printout of my before and after alignment numbers. My post is near the end of the thread.

With respect to rear toe, I have seen a couple of YouTubers turn the locknuts the wrong way and then, finally, figure it out. It doesn’t sound like this is your problem.

Joe
Here's my print out after alignment. Don't know if this is to specs or not but it's what the shop says they adjusted it to. Thanks Joe!

Attachments

• Alignment.JPG
    Alignment.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 53
Caster isn't adjustable on most cars

Based on Tesla's specs, he's within spec for the absolute measurement, but the split is too high (though theoretically rounding error on both ends could mean it's just within spec)

1704137763684.png

Edit: Never mind, guess caster is adjustable on these cars

1704138069821.png

Either way, the alignment shop has the wrong actual spec. 4.8 and 5.1 are okay per Tesla's spec, but should try to adjust the difference to be under 0.2 (ideally both sides equal)

Last edited:

Based on Tesla's specs, he's within spec for the absolute measurement, but the split is too high (though theoretically rounding error on both ends could mean it's just within spec)

View attachment 1004821

View attachment 1004822

Either way, the alignment shop has the wrong actual spec. 4.8 and 5.1 are okay per Tesla's spec, but should try to adjust the difference to be under 0.2 (ideally both sides equal)
At what suspension height are these recommended specs aligned? Thanks for the reference.

The shop I took the car to was not familiar with Tesla's. I need to find a shop other than Tesla to get another alignment. I've added another 1/8" shim to the passenger side because my bubble leveler did not show any where as close to zero as the drivers rear. Now the bubble is approximately the same. I use my Summit toe gauge to set the toe. Would still like to get it on a machine that is reliable and the operator is familiar with the Plaid.

View attachment 1004821

View attachment 1004822

Without taking it to the original shop that didn't know how to adjust caster, do you know which way to turn the nut to get that 5.1 down closer to the 4.8? I'm guessing a 1/4 turn would probably do it assuming I turned it the right way.