Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help Deciding on Replacement Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm the guy whose 2018 Model 3 (LR RWD) was crushed by a guy who ran a red light. I found out today that the insurance company is declaring it a total loss and is cutting me a check. As I see it, I have 3 options for a new car: (1) Order a new LR AWD and wait until November (at the earliest) - $52,490; (2) Order a new LR AWD Performance and wait until September - $57,990; or (3) buy a demo LR AWD that will take 1-3 weeks to deliver - $52,180 + $2,500 delivery fee. I don't have a burning desire to have the fastest Tesla possible, but I'm reluctant to pay a $2,500 delivery fee, since that's a sunk cost that doesn't add any value to the car. But on the other hand, I know the estimated delivery dates for new cars tend to slip, so late Sept./November could easily turn into mid October/December; whereas the delivery date for the demo car is probably pretty solid. I'm currently driving a Hyundai Venue from the rental car place, so the sooner I can get a new car (within reason) the better. Any wisdom that might help break the logjam? Thanks.

Your question seems to be (boiled down):

1. Buy a previously driven (demo) LR AWD for 52,180+2,500 = 54,680 + taxes
2. Buy the exact same car, but a new one for 52,490 (not sure if that includes 1200 destination but lets throw it in there) =53,690 + taxes
3. buy a performance for 57,990 (+ options + 1200 destination)

Then you say : "I dont have a burning desire to have the fastest tesla possible" which basically throws out the performance, and you are left with

"Do I buy a demo model 3 for MORE than a new one".

Shrug, that seems like an extremely easy answer to me but you would also have to wait. There is no chance in @#$@Q# I would take a car with demo miles on it over a brand new one for even a small couple thousand discount... there is a less than zero chance I would do it for MORE than a new one.

I think if you need a quicker turn around, the performance is honestly not a bad value. Obviously the higher price is a factor, but the LR AWD is not that far off from the performance price. I would have considered it for myself and just ate the higher price with a larger down payment, but I live in an icy and snowy climate for 5-6 months of the year. Also, the lesser range mixed with range loss in cold weather is what deterred me from just getting it.

At any rate, I am excited for you and hope you really enjoy the car. If I was in your situation, I would have probably done the same thing.