Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help on how to remove center cubby tray under MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I am having some trouble removing center cubby tray under the MCU.

I got a 2018 Model X with MCU and simply down-pressing to the front edge of the tray is not successful.

The tray is already a bit mal-formed due to large amount of force and im afriad it could break into pieces...

I tried the 2016 Model X and 2017 Model S and they are very easy to remove.

Did I got a super hard cubby tray?

Or Tesla has changed the design or clip in the newer version.

Why I need to remove the tray?
I need to access the diag port to get some fun out there

Hey guys,

I am having some trouble removing center cubby tray under the MCU.
I got a 2018 Model X with MCU and simply down-pressing to the front edge of the tray is not successful.
The tray is already a bit mal-formed due to large amount of force and im afriad it could break into pieces...
I tried the 2016 Model X and 2017 Model S and they are very easy to remove.
Did I got a super hard cubby tray?
Or Tesla has changed the design or clip in the newer version.
Why I need to remove the tray?
I need to access the diag port to get some fun out there

It is really stiff, especially the first time. But I really doubt you will break it. Press in the outer corners.

Thanks, but unfortuntely, i broke the clip.

Looks like mine is not the metal clip like the model S, just the plastic two hook on the tray.

going to Service Center on Monday and hopefully not expensive.

Have them show you how to remove it. It is routine for the techs to pull it out, because that is how they get to the network for their laptop. My guess is that one of the clips was broken, and was jammed in during assembly. I’d expect it to be a warranty repair, after all you were just trying to retrieve an item, right? ;)