Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help: Rear Drive Unit Replacement $6k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My cousin has a 2014 P85 w/109k miles on it. He just had the pyro fuse in that car replaced 2 weeks ago. We both received phone calls from Tesla sales inquiring about moving our free supercharging to new cars a week before our failures. We were just joking about remote shutdowns.......or was it a joke?

Can't you just purchase a remanufactured unit from Tesla and either install it yourself or have someone else install it? What is Tesla's core charge?
My 1st thought when I heard Gruber would install for $800. As previously mentioned Tesla won't sell them to us and the ONLY thing I could buy was a used unit. Which might exhibit the same issue a week after install.....no guarantees other then it's gonna happen again that route. How soon would've been the mystery.

So I'm sitting in the waiting room at the Tesla service center in Mesa, AZ waiting for a ride home.....and my estimate changes. It goes up. They have my car, I've agreed to an estimate before I got here, and now it goes up $300. When I ask what that's about I'm told the service manager added some additional diagnosis time so they could verify the vitual diagnosis of coolant in the LDU.

This is ridiculous.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and TLLMRRJ
So I'm posting to vent only...

My sister owns a Model S that was built before mine and she just dropped it off at the same Mesa, AZ service where my car is. She's got some strange noise. She's also out of warranty. She lives 15 min away from them and was given a loaner no questions asked.....I live 45 min away from them, have my car there for a 6k+ repair and was told no loaner for out of warranty vehicles!!!

I called to ask them WTH is up with that and they had ZERO explanation other then to say that my sister shouldn't have been given the Model X she has had since this morning. On top of that I askes for an update on my car and was told it hasn't been touched yet!!!!

I'm rethinking my 2024 new car purchase right this minute. This is absurd.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
So I'm posting to vent only...

My sister owns a Model S that was built before mine and she just dropped it off at the same Mesa, AZ service where my car is. She's got some strange noise. She's also out of warranty. She lives 15 min away from them and was given a loaner no questions asked.....I live 45 min away from them, have my car there for a 6k+ repair and was told no loaner for out of warranty vehicles!!!

I called to ask them WTH is up with that and they had ZERO explanation other then to say that my sister shouldn't have been given the Model X she has had since this morning. On top of that I askes for an update on my car and was told it hasn't been touched yet!!!!

I'm rethinking my 2024 new car purchase right this minute. This is absurd.
I see your problem...you're expected reasonable and fair treatment from a Tesla Service Center. Most of us have adopted the "prepare the worst, but hope for the best" approach. And by best I mean that you'll be able to get your car back functioning as it should. Sorry they didn't give you a loaner. Maybe your sister is just that much more charming than you are or they really did make a mistake. I think it's reasonable to give a loaner to a customer whose car is in need of repair to no fault of their own. With all the lower pricing on used Teslas I would think they'd have more loaners available.

Reactions: Frozen and cwerdna
I see your problem...you're expected reasonable and fair treatment from a Tesla Service Center. Most of us have adopted the "prepare the worst, but hope for the best" approach. And by best I mean that you'll be able to get your car back functioning as it should. Sorry they didn't give you a loaner. Maybe your sister is just that much more charming than you are or they really did make a mistake. I think it's reasonable to give a loaner to a customer whose car is in need of repair to no fault of their own. With all the lower pricing on used Teslas I would think they'd have more loaners available.
I sent a nasty message via the app after I called the SC. 5 min later I got a call back from the Mesa SC apologizing profusely and asking when I could pick up my loaner!!

Just got back home with it. Like I explained to them....my issue here is that WE are the brand ambassadors. There's no commercials. There's no marketing. It's just US. Almost daily someone stops when they see my garage open to ask me about it. And I tell them the truth. BMW, Cadillac, Lexus, of all the vehicles I've owned this has been the best. They wouldn't see my sister if it weren't for me and the Green Lantern. My father bought a new LR 3 last year because of me. My cousin. My best friend. The past week when I've been approached by neighbors I tell them the truth. And to a person it's rather appalling. A decade isn't a long time for a car company. They need to make CERTAIN that all of the owners of the older, now aging models are taken care of on some level. We're the folks who are marketing for them.....people want to know how the older models are holding up. They're dropping the ball.

Reactions: Newscutter