Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need Help Understanding $7,500 Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that the credit is based on liability. But currently, based on my current trajectory, I'm expected to overpay the IRS ~$5K this year. Yikes.

Either way, since I don't have any liability, does that mean I do not get any of the credit? :eek:

I get that the credit is based on liability. But currently, based on my current trajectory, I'm expected to overpay the IRS ~$5K this year. Yikes.

Either way, since I don't have any liability, does that mean I do not get any of the credit? :eek:
Your liability is determined by your income. (It doesn't matter what you've paid)

Example from 2017, find your taxable income https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf

The tax credit is like you paying an extra $7500 toward your tax liability... so if your liability is over $7500 you'd get your $5K plus $7500 back.

Just because you’ve withheld more than you owe does not mean you don’t have tax liability.

Let’s say you made 200k and your tax rate at 25% you have a 50k tax liability. Despite you’ve withheld 55k so you will get 5k tax refund, you will get $7,500 additional back.

Ok, so it’s just like the home buyers credit in 07/08?

Appreciate it, not sure why I’m so confused by this, then again, I hate tax law.

Yes, this credit is like other credits. One thing to keep in mind is that this is a non-refundable tax credit meaning that if you don't have the liability you won't get anything above your liability back.

For example, if you only have an income of $30k and someone you know gives you cash for a Model 3 out of the goodness of their heart, you won't get the full credit.

Yes, this credit is like other credits. One thing to keep in mind is that this is a non-refundable tax credit meaning that if you don't have the liability you won't get anything above your liability back.

For example, if you only have an income of $30k and someone you know gives you cash for a Model 3 out of the goodness of their heart, you won't get the full credit.

And just in case "non-refundable" confuses anyone reading, it doesn't mean you can't get a refund because of it.
Non-refundable credits reduce the amount you need to pay and that won't drop below 0.
But refundable credits act as a payment (they appear as such on the form), so the government will "refund" the money to you even if you have no liability.

Reactions: JeffK

It is a credit on the TAX that you owe. It has nothing to do with what you have been taking out of your paycheck.
Go to last years taxes and look for a line that I believe is labeled TAX DUE. Is that more than $7,500, then you are good.

The reality is, that if you want to pay the minimum each month, then when you buy a car, you would adjust your deduction to take out $7500 less