TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Need Help Understanding $7,500 Tax Credit

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by the_danimal, Jul 7, 2018.

1. the_danimal

the_danimal Member

I get that the credit is based on liability. But currently, based on my current trajectory, I'm expected to overpay the IRS ~$5K this year. Yikes.

Either way, since I don't have any liability, does that mean I do not get any of the credit? :eek:

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Your liability is determined by your income. (It doesn't matter what you've paid)

Example from 2017, find your taxable income https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040tt.pdf

The tax credit is like you paying an extra $7500 toward your tax liability... so if your liability is over $7500 you'd get your $5K plus $7500 back.

3. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Do you file a 1040, 1040x or 1040a?

4. mekberg

mekberg Member

It's a credit toward your gross tax liability. Assuming you owe at least $7,500 you should be credited for the full amount.

In your scenario you would be getting $12,500 back.

You could change your withholdings now to break even at tax time.

5. Haxster

Haxster Member

It's a tax CREDIT. If you overpay by $5K, you'll probably see a $12.5K refund.

6. the_danimal

the_danimal Member

Ok, so it’s just like the home buyers credit in 07/08?

Appreciate it, not sure why I’m so confused by this, then again, I hate tax law.

7. outie

outie Active Member

Just because you’ve withheld more than you owe does not mean you don’t have tax liability.

Let’s say you made 200k and your tax rate at 25% you have a 50k tax liability. Despite you’ve withheld 55k so you will get 5k tax refund, you will get $7,500 additional back.

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Yes, this credit is like other credits. One thing to keep in mind is that this is a non-refundable tax credit meaning that if you don't have the liability you won't get anything above your liability back.

For example, if you only have an income of $30k and someone you know gives you cash for a Model 3 out of the goodness of their heart, you won't get the full credit.

9. Dave Mac

Dave Mac Member

Nope. The homebuyer's credit was refundable so liability didn't matter.

10. outie

outie Active Member

No, that credit can carryover afaik. This EV tax credit does not carryover so if you can’t take all of it in the tax year it’s gone.

11. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

It should be line 44 on a 1040 it will say tax. If the number on that line is less than $7500 the credit will be reduced to whatever that line is.

12. the_danimal

the_danimal Member

Right, I get that that one carried over where this credit doesn’t. Thanks all!

13. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

And just in case "non-refundable" confuses anyone reading, it doesn't mean you can't get a refund because of it.
    Non-refundable credits reduce the amount you need to pay and that won't drop below 0.
    But refundable credits act as a payment (they appear as such on the form), so the government will "refund" the money to you even if you have no liability.

• Like x 1
  14. the_danimal

the_danimal Member

You’re right, line 44 is your liability.

15. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

It is a credit on the TAX that you owe. It has nothing to do with what you have been taking out of your paycheck.
    Go to last years taxes and look for a line that I believe is labeled TAX DUE. Is that more than $7,500, then you are good.

The reality is, that if you want to pay the minimum each month, then when you buy a car, you would adjust your deduction to take out $7500 less