Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help with charging times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am confused about charging, what I want to do is charge off peak hours and set a departure time.
Ex. Departure at 4:30 am which I set
Should I enable off peak as well?
I put off peak time at 4 pm in southern ca.

I had it set this way for all week with off peak on and it didn’t charge? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

I personally just set a charge time of 9:30pm and this works reliably for me, so unfortunately I cannot answer your question directly, but it does seem like you are possibly giving it two different instructions that maybe it is interpreting as conflicting (even though they probably never would).

I imagine that if you set a departure time of 4:30am it's going to start charging at the latest possible time so that it finishes up by 4:30am. Unless you are charging at 120V or have a ridiculously slow L2 charger, it should probably never commence charging prior to 4pm the day before. So have you tried to just leave the off peak setting alone?

Alternatively, just do as I do and set a start time that you are comfortable with. For example, I normally plug in when my car gets down to about 30%, and it takes between 5-6 hours on my EVSE to charge to my 80% set point. I don't particularly worry about having the car sit at 80%, so I just arbitrarily chose 9:30pm as my start time, but if you wanted to wind up hitting your target at 4:30am, if it was me with my settings, I would back up 6 hours from 4:30am and put in 10:30pm as my start time.

I don't know how the off-peak time works, but if you prefer to use that instead, try just setting off-peak and NOT setting a departure time. My hypothesis is that maybe off-peak and departure time are conflicting settings (although if so, it should not let you set both at the same time). Try just using one or the other and see if it works for you.

Reactions: Rocky_H
I am confused about charging, what I want to do is charge off peak hours and set a departure time.
Ex. Departure at 4:30 am which I set
Should I enable off peak as well?
I put off peak time at 4 pm in southern ca.

I had it set this way for all week with off peak on and it didn’t charge? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
The manual says you can't select both departure time and "off-peak." One or the other. I also think you can only select the time off-peak expires. The manual does not say how to select when off-peak starts, so as soon as I plug in-- the Tesla starts charging. I am now plugging in and selecting don't charge until off-peak time starts, then I am using my iPhone and manually selecting start charging.

The manual says you can't select both departure time and "off-peak." One or the other. I also think you can only select the time off-peak expires. The manual does not say how to select when off-peak starts, so as soon as I plug in-- the Tesla starts charging. I am now plugging in and selecting don't charge until off-peak time starts, then I am using my iPhone and manually selecting start charging.
I started to usé departure time and it works great.