Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need help with Nema 14-50 install in Cupertino

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys

My father in law is getting his Model3 next week and need a referral for an electrician for the Nema plug install. He got a quote for $1160 and I thought it was ridiculous

I’m in SoCal and paid $450 for my plug

Can someone recommend someone in the Bay Area?

Thanks in advance

We're south of Cupertino and our city permit ran us $200 and had we had our electrician file it (included his travel and time at the city office). He came out for our initial estimate and then returned later to double check the area before filing our permit. Spent a reasonable amount with us during the estimate answering our questions and surveying the area and our equipment. We had him install a new dedicated 50A circuit for our NEMA-14/50 on our inside garage wall. It was adjacent to the main breaker panel on the outside wall. Required running our wiring inside the wall and through some beams, drywall replacement, taping and spackling (city requires it be sealed), required parts (he furnished us the receipt) and a return trip to meet with the city inspector at our house for our code pass. $925 for the work, so $1125. Right in the ball park of what your dad was quoted. Very happy with our guy's work and he was considerate about keeping appointments and confirming times with us. Even thought to call when he was on his way. Did a nice job cleaning up.

PM me if want the name of our electrican if your dad wants a another quote and/or is hesitant about going with the guy who came out to his place. Would be happy to recommend our guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vern Padgett
and I paid $50 for the plug that was in the garage behind the outside panel. AS FAR as I know, cities allow owners to install outlets at their place of residence, without a permit. Cupertino may be different, but if it were my home, I'd probably try to do it myself, or have a friend over to help. But that's just me. $1160 sounds like an easy job that some electrician has bid on. But I don't know. I wish I lived closer!

I knew that I had a cavity in a tooth. So, I went to a dentist here. He told me now much and I thought it was a little high. When my brother was here visiting, he told me that he thought he had a cavity too. So, he found a dentist here and went and got a quote. His quote was cheaper. So, why should I have to pay more?

Hi Need

Would you mind PM’ing the electrician’s contact?

When I looked at the garage, the panel was right behind it as well

Thanks!

I think the price is highly dependent on how far the plug is away from the main panel. And I think you also need city permit when it gets further away from the panel. I only paid $260 for the NEMA 14-50 but it was install right on the other side of the main panel inside the garage.

Hi Need

Would you mind PM’ing the electrician’s contact?

When I looked at the garage, the panel was right behind it as well

Thanks!

Sure but I have local electrician I found on Yelp. I am in Rancho Cucamonga. I am sure if you pay him enough he will drive up there but probably easier to find an electrician on Yelp local to your father in law. Local electrician knows the local city laws so they will know whether you need permit or not. Also Yelp is good because if they have high rating, they are not going to try to quote you super high price as some people will report that on the reviews and lowered their rating.

I pretty much just use the Yelp contact business for a quote box and ask "I need to install a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage for EV car. The location of the outlet is on the other side of the wall of the main panel. I am locate in the city of ..." And I got quote from the business I selected and a few others they added on Yelp messages. I did say it was for a Tesla, as I was told that they will try to charge more if it they know you have a Tesla. :p