Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

need help with system design review (9.6kW Solar + Powerwall)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so my million-dollar question: should I go with 1x10 layout or ask to switch 2x5? Which option will look/work better?View attachment 780276
In general, the panels want to be as high as possible to the ridge, but in this case it sounds like it doesn't make much difference. Some people like rectangles especially ones near the golden ratio. Your 2x5 seems a bit closer to that.

Reactions: no2gates and Navak
It seems as if you have done the best you can on your southern exposure. I guess that I would ask why not maximize what can be put on the northern side? Being in a VHFHSZ, it would seem to me likely that you might need backup power, and the ability to recharge it, even through some smoke, so more panels might be better. It is soooo easy to add during the initial instalLatino, and it is much harder than you think to add on panels. If I had known, I would have put in a system 2-3X what we put in.

I also suspect that the four panels on your southwest corner aren't going to produce as much as you might think, with your southern neighbor's trees (cypress, and ?). It will be the worst in the winter time, but most afternoons look like the trees would generate significant shade.

Finally, do have a look at the threads here about powerwalls and large solar installs vis-à-vis powers shutting down the solar because the house demand isn't large enough to keep the solar at less than the powerwall's maximum charge rate.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Navak
Being in Southern California your north facing panels are not that bad, my daughter is in Manhattan Beach and her north facing roof gets good usable sunlight for at least 7 hours for 8 months, that is almost as good as my east facing roof in Northern California which is all the solar cells I have for my solar roof, so like someone suggests, max your northern roof.

Being in Southern California your north facing panels are not that bad, my daughter is in Manhattan Beach and her north facing roof gets good usable sunlight for at least 7 hours for 8 months, that is almost as good as my east facing roof in Northern California which is all the solar cells I have for my solar roof, so like someone suggests, max your northern roof.
On my second pass, I got as many as I could fit within reason. Now I do not have to worry about NEM3. I have so much extra power I can do whatever I want. And since I have a 99% electric large home, having the panels, and batteries for the lower solar months, mean I can be off the grid for a large percentage of the time.

Thanks guys! I like the idea of adding more panels on the north side. I will go 2x6 or 2x8.
I really appreciate all your feedback. It helped me a lot to narrow down my decision.
By the way I don't think it makes any difference whether they're in a single line on the north roof or clustered in a group. They'll likely be connected on a single string anyway. I'd go for whatever you think will look best, assuming there is no shading concern there. Otherwise, do whatever is best to avoid that.