Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need registartion number for insurance help!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be picking up my new Model 3P from West Dryton next Tuesday (27th August 2019) and I need to insure it but in order to insure it I need the registration number which I don't have. How do I sort this out? I have tried emailing (no response) and I have tried phoning, but without any luck. Last time I phoned a couple of weeks ago it took 1 hour 50 minutes to get through, phoning today I was cut off after 30 min without being able to speak to anyone.

So do I just resign myself to spend the day on the phone till I get through? If I do is it likely they will be able to give me the registration number?

Would it be easier just to drive to West Dryton (1 hour 15 mins sway from my home)

Or is there an easier way?

Not sure how your state works but Tesla only needs proof of current insurance to drive off. It doesnt have to be the actual car just whatever you currently have.
You should probably plan to switch over once you have accepted the car

Anyone that has insurance can drive any car. As was said all they care about is that you are insured. It doesn’t need to actually be on your policy at the second you drive it off the lot. Take the insurance card you have for your previous car and/or the policy details page showing limits (which you already had to upload to Tesla) with you and there shouldn’t be a problem.

I believe the OP is from UK, and the rules there might be very different. Generally, the insurance company needs the VIN that can be found on the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement, which will be sent to you a few days before the delivery. The insurance then should be able to issue a temporary insurance card that will be replaced with a regular one later after registration. But again, I have no clue what the regulations are in UK.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Indeed, the poster is from the UK. Reading the UK forums they tend to send out the info 48 hours in advance of delivery. They are currently in th first delivery push to get cars out as quick as possible. The boat unload a few weeks ago and they've got 5,000 cars to deliver.

Just because you can drive the car doesn't mean that the car is covered. Always check with your agent and see your company's requirements. Sucks is driving the car off the lot, hitting someone, going to the hospital (all of which should probably be paid for) but then losing the car. It is so much better safe than sorry.
I know with Allstate we were covered, but previously it required riders to cover. This may also be complicated whether you still have your old vehicle or not. i.e. how many vehicles are being covered.

Yes I think I would feel more comfortable having specified insurance for the Tesla. As far as I can tell Tesla are to all intents and purposes uncontactable. I have also complained to customer suport but have heard nothing from them either. So I will just have to wait and hope they send the reg number before next Tuesday else I won't pick the car up.

I was going to suggest that dayinsure would be an option (I've used this before when buying a car at short notice), but it seems the model 3 is too new for their system, and they seem not to want to quote for a Tesla at all (which matches the low number of quotes I got from a comparison site).