Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some help figuring out my salvage model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I was I was talking to Yauheni was a fuse in junction box. I'm glad for him.

- - - Updated - - -

Just talked to tesla LTE upgrade just includes just the connectivity board does not include the SIM card unfortunately. Just had a phone call that they will not upgrade the car with a 85kw bat.

From talking to them I can sense that they are very strict about car modifications. They want the vin to match the car configuration. The vin# is for a 60KW and that is the only thing they will put in that car, since that is what it was originally designed for. If you have a 85kw they will not allow you to put a p85 motor in it.

- - - Updated - - -

My optimum configuration of car would be p60d with that configuration I bet the car would be 2.5 seconds to 60mph. Since 60kw pack is about 300 pounds lighter.

My choices right now are to buy a reman pack from them for about $17k that has 201ah rating and give them my pack as a core. Their new pack will only carry a 1 year 12k mile warranty. My second option is to find a used pack and they will program the BMS to work with my car. Final option is to have an independent expert look at my pack and try to repair it. Tesla strongly recommends the first choice.

Is that $17k with the core? That seems awfully steep since they really are just taking the hit for repairing the BMS, I would have guessed even high side thats only gonna be a few k.

I'm suprised they even offer the option to have an independent expert look at the pack. That'd be the way I would go, particualrly since there are some folks on the board who have alot of experience with the BMS.

Yes that is with the core. I thought that is kind of steep as well. Well they never told me I could have an independent expert look at it. It is my battery pack and I can do what I want with it, bottom line is that if I bring them a functioning 60kw bat they will program it to my car. It is my choice how I'm going to get them a functioning 60kw bat. Now, if they would give me 10year 120k mile warranty on their refurbished bat I would consider spending 17k on it. I'm almost better off buying a heavily smashed up 60kw car for the battery, selling parts off it to recoup my money taking the screen if it has a removable sim and the battery. Selling my battery to someone that wants to use it for a home project since the battery part of it is like new.

But on the other hand I would be taking a risk buying a smashed car without knowing the battery state on it. So it would probably be the best to try to save my battery, what I'm being told that the BMS is getting voltage readings where it should not and opening the contactors. According to tesla contactors are good in my pack and functioning as they should. Risk involved of someone besides tesla taking my battery apart and not being able to fix it, tesla will probably not want my battery as a core. I will ask how much they are giving me for my battery as a core value.

It would be so nice and useful to get access to these Tesla debug logs. They would probably indicate the exact error, maybe even at the cell or module level, which would help you locate where the fault is.

Who wants to bet they are stored on those SD cards built into the touchscreen assembly? After all, that seems to be connected to the in car ethernet network, which is used by Tesla staff to access the rest of the car systems.

Also, this is the first time I've seen Tesla refer to the capacity of a Model S battery in Ah. 198Ah at 325VDC nom is just over 64.5kWh; Strange that is more than 60kWh but I wonder if that includes the "brick protection". Nominal capacity is 56kWh user-advertised, plus 4kWh zero mile?

Would be nice to see the logs they are all stored in the car. I doubt that they will let me see it. Latest update is they must take an old battery in order to give a refurbished bat, they do not want people using their batteries for other purposes. So the price for a refurbished 60kw from tesla is $16k plus taxes. So eventually every MS owner will need to caugh up at least $16k to keep the model S going unless the price of the pack will be reduced.

As for LTE conversion they are talking to the engineering team to see if that is possible on my car, the sim card might just get clonned in the conversion. New screen replacement is over $4k. I do not think I should be responsible for that because Tesla and ATT caused that damage to my car, 3g was functioning when I first bought my car.

So it basically sounds like they aren't offering you anything for your old pack, which is ridiculous.

Seems like this is the sort of thing that will change eventually as they think through the process and determine what the best standard procedure is. This just seems like a default, make the customer pay for everything kind of policy.

Sounds like they are concocting ways to discourage you from getting it on the road. I've never heard or seen of a MCU with a non-removable SIM card. I've seen several MCU's from all date ranges, and repaired a few that were not working. Every single one has the cellular modem on a removable daughterboard, and the SIM socket is on that board. As several people have pointed out, they could simply upgrade you to LTE for $500, problem solved.

When a warranty customer's pack has something go wrong with it, such as contactors or a bad module, they tear it open and repair the problem. But on yours, being out of warranty, they refuse to touch it. I'm very suspicious. What was the exact intermittent fault they claim is occurring? I would ask for a printout showing the fault.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be so nice and useful to get access to these Tesla debug logs. They would probably indicate the exact error, maybe even at the cell or module level, which would help you locate where the fault is.

Who wants to bet they are stored on those SD cards built into the touchscreen assembly? After all, that seems to be connected to the in car ethernet network, which is used by Tesla staff to access the rest of the car systems.
Yes, all logs are stored on the SD card. Problem is they are tokenized and not human-readable, so useless without their decoding toolbox.

Sounds like they are concocting ways to discourage you from getting it on the road. I've never heard or seen of a MCU with a non-removable SIM card. I've seen several MCU's from all date ranges, and repaired a few that were not working. Every single one has the cellular modem on a removable daughterboard, and the SIM socket is on that board. As several people have pointed out, they could simply upgrade you to LTE for $500, problem solved.
Actually on the sim card thing, I remember reading on another thread of the modem supporting an embedded sim, so I find a non-removable sim believable.

As far as I know the battery was not even removed from my car all information they collected was from logs and diagnostics through the car. What I was told BMS sometimes is getting voltage readings where it should not and the pack should be replaced. I do not think our Service Center takes packs appart. They do replace contactors because my friend had his contactors upgraded at the facility. Additionally they charge 3.5 hours of labor to R & I the battery. Waiting for call back on the LTE upgrade information, will ask to get logs of codes emailed to me .

Actually on the sim card thing, I remember reading on another thread of the modem supporting an embedded sim, so I find a non-removable sim believable.
I'm willing to accept that possibility, but that still doesn't explain why they won't swap him out to an LTE modem. If he wasn't salvage, he'd be able to get the LTE upgrade no problem. Tesla hasn't said "only certain Model S cars are eligible for the LTE upgrade" (because they have a soldered SIM?), no they will swap the whole daughterboard and it likely comes with the SIM pre-installed.

Seems obvious to me that it's time to tear down the screen enough to see whether the sim is removable or not. The battery thing is just plain bad luck. It's a salvaged car and you always knew there could be a hidden problem like this. At least they're willing to pair up a battery if you can find one.