Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some help figuring out my salvage model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I know the battery was not even removed from my car all information they collected was from logs and diagnostics through the car. What I was told BMS sometimes is getting voltage readings where it should not and the pack should be replaced. I do not think our Service Center takes packs appart. They do replace contactors because my friend had his contactors upgraded at the facility. Additionally they charge 3.5 hours of labor to R & I the battery. Waiting for call back on the LTE upgrade information, will ask to get logs of codes emailed to me .

The contactors are in the pack. You have to drop the pack and take at least some if it apart to replace them.

"voltage readings where it should not" doesn't make much sense. If it's leakage voltage, that could just be moisture in the connector.

Guy's sorry for the long delay there was no news for the last month. Tesla had my car since June 30th to go through their processes. The car passed their inspection and they were able to start working on it last week. I did not want to log on, there was nothing to say except something negative. Reviewing the data logs on the car they determined that my battery has a intermitted short in the BMS, it is a shame since my pack is very healthy 198 ah. My choices right now are to buy a reman pack from them for about $17k that has 201ah rating and give them my pack as a core. Their new pack will only carry a 1 year 12k mile warranty. My second option is to find a used pack and they will program the BMS to work with my car. Final option is to have an independent expert look at my pack and try to repair it. Tesla strongly recommends the first choice.

I have told the service advisor who has been great to ask if I get an 85kw used pack if they could make my car an 85. The initial response was a no but the service advisor he will find out more since my car is not under warranty anymore.

Once the battery pack issue is solved I'm going to have an issue getting updates for the car. They can only update my car at the service center via usb port. Problem being that att blacklisted the sim card in my car. I have a earlier version of a screen where the sim card is attached to the motherboard att told tesla they can't activate that sim card because it has been black listed solution is a new up dated screen with a removable sim card option. I would need to pay for the screen and than would have a choice of carrier. Thank you ATT.

I need to make a lot of decisions now any input counts.

If they will program your car as an 85 with a used 85 pack, I would jump on that. Find a used pack in good condition and go for it, then resell your old pack to recoup some of the cost. This is probably the best bet, IMO.

Edit: Missed the part where they said no. Sorry to hear that. Sounds stupid since the 85 and 60 use the same motor and everything else besides the pack and a flag in the software.

This is where I'd start working with a shop in Massachusetts and start demanding the software that allows you to diagnose and work with the car to do these things myself.

If they will program your car as an 85 with a used 85 pack, I would jump on that. Find a used pack in good condition and go for it, then resell your old pack to recoup some of the cost. This is probably the best bet, IMO.

Edit: Missed the part where they said no. Sorry to hear that. Sounds stupid since the 85 and 60 use the same motor and everything else besides the pack and a flag in the software.

This is where I'd start working with a shop in Massachusetts and start demanding the software that allows you to diagnose and work with the car to do these things myself.
David Noland was the only one who got his car upgraded from 60kWh to 85kWh. After they did it for him their official policy has been that it is not offered (no one else was able to get it done). It'll be curious to see given they are offering 90kWh upgrades to 85kWh owners, if it also applies to 60kWh owners. However, for the OP the situation is a bit different given his car is a salvage title.

Tesla is finally working with me and I'm very happy. I can't say anymore for now because none of their salvage policies are set in stone yet and they asked me not to disclose my situation to anyone. On the other hand I have purchased a parts car to be a donor for the battery pack. I need to have the bat pack inspected by Tesla in California to make sure it is in good working order before they program it to my car. Does anyone have a repair shop around San Francisco area or northern CA that has car hoist and a fork lift and is willing to help me remove the battery from the donor car? Please PM me and we will discuss this more. Thank you for all you guys help and being so active on the forum.

Tesla is finally working with me and I'm very happy. I can't say anymore for now because none of their salvage policies are set in stone yet and they asked me not to disclose my situation to anyone. On the other hand I have purchased a parts car to be a donor for the battery pack. I need to have the bat pack inspected by Tesla in California to make sure it is in good working order before they program it to my car. Does anyone have a repair shop around San Francisco area or northern CA that has car hoist and a fork lift and is willing to help me remove the battery from the donor car? Please PM me and we will discuss this more. Thank you for all you guys help and being so active on the forum.

That's great to hear, hopefully after this they will solidify and publicize their policies. (and they won't suck:smile:)

Does anyone know anyone in San Francisco, San Jose or anywhere in northern CA area that has a fork lift and a car-lift so I could remove the battery from my parts car? My parts car is currently in CA and I would hate to ship the car all the way back to MN and than ship or deliver the battery back to Fremont so tesla could test the battery. Plan currently is to drive to CA grab my parts car take the battery down deliver it to tesla in Fremont, have them inspect it and tow the parts car and the battery back to MN, and finally have a fully functioning MS on the road.

Does anyone know anyone in San Francisco, San Jose or anywhere in northern CA area that has a fork lift and a car-lift so I could remove the battery from my parts car? My parts car is currently in CA and I would hate to ship the car all the way back to MN and than ship or deliver the battery back to Fremont so tesla could test the battery. Plan currently is to drive to CA grab my parts car take the battery down deliver it to tesla in Fremont, have them inspect it and tow the parts car and the battery back to MN, and finally have a fully functioning MS on the road.

Tesla won't help you out with that, if you deliver the complete car to them? It seems like if they are going to be inspecting the battery anyway, there is pretty much no one better positioned to remove it from the car.

Yes, that would be the easiest solution but Tesla policy is that can't lay a wrench on a car that has not been certified. A car that is not certified by their repair shop is not even a car to them. The car I got for parts will never be certified I do not want to rub their feathers. They are at least working with me now and told me that I must provide them a battery pack not a wreck and that is what I want to do.

Got my "Electra" back last week ago with LTE, latest firmware and a new battery fully tesla certified. I have driven it about 800 since than with no issues. It has been a journey thank you for all your the advise and help. This has been a journey but I have met a lot of interesting people doing this and without them this process would not have been possible.