Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some help figuring out my salvage model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting to get my pyrofuse for the car before I contact tesla. The only thing I'm afraid about contacting tesla they will inspect the car and I might have something major wrong maybe like a bad control module inside the battery. They will tell me it will be $30k to fix it and will blacklist my car where they will permanently not sell parts or do any service on it unless a new battery is purchased.
I wonder if my car still has rolling authentication code since it does not get 3g updates anymore?

Car is at service center right now, they will be getting into it on Tuesday. Estimated cost is $1250 to start with for their inspection. If car passes all the test it will be 100% functional, will be getting software updates remote link etc. I will also be able to upgrade it to supercharge capability if I decide to(my car originally did not have supercharger capability). Only thing Tesla is not sure about is if the 3g service will be free for the remainder of the 4 years. I feel it should be since it was already paid for when the car was purchased. So far I'm happy with the customer service I have been receiving from the service center. Will keep everyone posted.

Car is at service center right now, they will be getting into it on Tuesday. Estimated cost is $1250 to start with for their inspection. If car passes all the test it will be 100% functional, will be getting software updates remote link etc. I will also be able to upgrade it to supercharge capability if I decide to(my car originally did not have supercharger capability). Only thing Tesla is not sure about is if the 3g service will be free for the remainder of the 4 years. I feel it should be since it was already paid for when the car was purchased. So far I'm happy with the customer service I have been receiving from the service center. Will keep everyone posted.

that's awesome news!

Good news. Bear in mind that Tesla (HQ) is figuring out a lot of things for the first time, and things are in flux; so sales offices and service centers may sometimes be behind the info curve (based on discussions with sales center, and also experience with starting up a new assembly plant). It may take a few days for them to get an answer, because the answer has to be decided by the home office.

Since you've got it in the system and they are working on it, can you ask them about whether a dcdc converter can just be swapped out or if they are serialized and require reprogramming or some CAN buss addressing, etc? Maybe we can get to understand more about how parts are swapped out.

The G1 DC-DC will even run completely without the CAN bus if needed, so the car should have a baseline 13.6 volt float voltage even if it cannot see the Gateway or BMS. I have personally confirmed this on the bench.

Tesla's default procedure is to flash all vehicle firmware on any module replacement to mainly ensure it's compatibility, regardless if the module needs VIN information or not. I do not think the DC-DC needs a flash to work properly, at least within a certain version range.

Yes, please keep us updated on any progress so we at least have some baseline information for others in the community. This may be useful for other people's cars with crash damage, when Tesla decides not to support them for liability reasons.

Last edited:
Unfortunately some people come here for information, but never give much back. I get PM's often asking for help, and I tell them I'm not going to answer in private, only in a public post, that way everyone benefits.

Guy's sorry for the long delay there was no news for the last month. Tesla had my car since June 30th to go through their processes. The car passed their inspection and they were able to start working on it last week. I did not want to log on, there was nothing to say except something negative. Reviewing the data logs on the car they determined that my battery has a intermitted short in the BMS, it is a shame since my pack is very healthy 198 ah. My choices right now are to buy a reman pack from them for about $17k that has 201ah rating and give them my pack as a core. Their new pack will only carry a 1 year 12k mile warranty. My second option is to find a used pack and they will program the BMS to work with my car. Final option is to have an independent expert look at my pack and try to repair it. Tesla strongly recommends the first choice.

I have told the service advisor who has been great to ask if I get an 85kw used pack if they could make my car an 85. The initial response was a no but the service advisor he will find out more since my car is not under warranty anymore.

Once the battery pack issue is solved I'm going to have an issue getting updates for the car. They can only update my car at the service center via usb port. Problem being that att blacklisted the sim card in my car. I have a earlier version of a screen where the sim card is attached to the motherboard att told tesla they can't activate that sim card because it has been black listed solution is a new up dated screen with a removable sim card option. I would need to pay for the screen and than would have a choice of carrier. Thank you ATT.

I need to make a lot of decisions now any input counts.