Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need some wisdom from this forum on our next car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We currently have a Performance Raven Model S. My wife has always wanted to go back to an SUV and I recently started entertaining the idea. Found the following options in my area that I need some help deciding between:
  1. 2017 (April build) Model X P100D 6 seater with FSD. 2 owners of it so far. Would cost me $3k after trading in the Model S and has 2 more years + 20k miles on the extended bumper to bumper warranty left. Worried that after that warranty expires we would be stuck with a money pit.
  2. 2018 (July build) Model X 100D 5 seater with FSD + premium connectivity. Single owner who I’ve spoken to. Very clean and well taken care of but out of warranty (also comes with row hitch which the other one is missing). Even exchange for our model S. Worried about it being out of warranty and having costly repairs. Also has 4k more miles than the 2017.
  3. Convince my wife to keep the Model S or swap to a completely different SUV such as a Model Y or BMW IX

Forgot to mention, both of the Model X’s also have tow package, upgraded stereo, and air suspension. I’ve driven them both and they’re smooth. The 2018 has the bigger 22 inch wheels which we would probably need to swap out for improved range.

The 2017 April X would have the MCU1 unless they upgraded it. Because it has FSD they would get the AP2 cameras upgraded to the AP2.5 required for FSD. If you are trading your S in at Tesla for it I thought though would have removed FSD?

The 2018 is going to cost $3000 for a wheel change I would guess unless you can find someone to swap (but not sure on the tire life on both). The person doing the swap for your performance S would be getting a good deal IMO ... ie. less than your end.

The Ys are really nice as my kid has one. I love our X windshield and am a fan of the FWDs.

Not sure any of that helps.

Reactions: splffgates
The 2017 April X would have the MCU1 unless they upgraded it. Because it has FSD they would get the AP2 cameras upgraded to the AP2.5 required for FSD. If you are trading your S in at Tesla for it I thought though would have removed FSD?

The 2018 is going to cost $3000 for a wheel change I would guess unless you can find someone to swap (but not sure on the tire life on both). The person doing the swap for your performance S would be getting a good deal IMO ... ie. less than your end.

The Ys are really nice as my kid has one. I love our X windshield and am a fan of the FWDs.

Not sure any of that helps.
Thanks that is helpful. Forgot to mention the 2017 P100d does have the MCU upgrade on it. And good call out about the wheels being an extra charge to swap.

My Performance model S doesn’t have Ludicrous mode and is higher on miles for being only 3 years old (48k) which I think factors into the lower value. Seems the luxury sedan market as a whole might be on the lower side right now while the SUV market is still high.

Reactions: scottf200
@splffgates, as the owner of a Sept 2017 100D MX, I have the following thoughts:
  • Would you miss any of the Raven features, such as better air suspension?
  • Do you care whether it is 5 or 6 seats? The 6 seaters are certainly popular for those hauling kids around, but I find it extremely important to be able to fold the second row. I find all kinds of things that need that space.
  • You currently own a performance. How important is that to you? On the used market, I tend to assume a Performance has been driven harder, and I would choose a non-P.
  • My car has been out of warranty for 1 year and it doesn’t concern me at all. But of course I would advise anyone to have a little wad of cash just in case. And there are 3rd parties that offer extended warranties if that is needed for comfort.
  • I have a spare set of 20” wheels from my MX sitting in my garage that I keep meaning to get rid of. Wish TX and PA were closer to make that a possibility for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
@splffgates, as the owner of a Sept 2017 100D MX, I have the following thoughts:
  • Would you miss any of the Raven features, such as better air suspension?
  • Do you care whether it is 5 or 6 seats? The 6 seaters are certainly popular for those hauling kids around, but I find it extremely important to be able to fold the second row. I find all kinds of things that need that space.
  • You currently own a performance. How important is that to you? On the used market, I tend to assume a Performance has been driven harder, and I would choose a non-P.
  • My car has been out of warranty for 1 year and it doesn’t concern me at all. But of course I would advise anyone to have a little wad of cash just in case. And there are 3rd parties that offer extended warranties if that is needed for comfort.
  • I have a spare set of 20” wheels from my MX sitting in my garage that I keep meaning to get rid of. Wish TX and PA were closer to make that a possibility for you.
  • The only Raven feature I would miss is one-pedal driving but I could get used to the change. The suspension actually feels better on both of the Model X's because they're not nearly as stiff
  • The seats are a good point. We don't have much of a preference for either. One small advantage for the 6 seater is that the back of the car would have air conditioning for the trips we take our dog on
  • The Performance is really nice for quick maneuvers and is pretty entertaining to my son (like an amusement park ride). The P100D could give us a sliver of that but it's not one of the top priorities. I was thinking resale value could be slightly better on a Performance model because of the higher starting price if we ever moved on to another car
  • If you don't mind me asking, what is the mileage on yours and have there been any major issues?
  • Those wheels sounds great wish we were closer! Thanks for the offer!
One thing that maybe I'm overthinking here is that these cars are a little older than mine and maybe I should just save up to buy a newer version for longevity.

I'd go for the 6-seater if I were you. They seem to be worth a premium on the secondary market (along with the 7-seater) and it's one of the few differentiators between X and the brand-new vehicles being sold today in similar range/class (The hyundai, iX, etc. are 5-seaters). The Performance models are also commanding better resale on average. And the extra rear vents are nice. And the warranty is almost-priceless.

Also, just my opinion, I don't notice a huge difference in fit/finish/rattles/squeaks between my 29,000 mile november 2020 build X and the higher-mileage, older X's (like, 50-80,000 miles) I've driven. I've now sampled 45000+-mile 75D, 100D, P100D, P90D, and a 90D over the years. They all seem pretty similar in overall quality, and it'll matter a lot more how well somebody cleaned it recently to give the impression of quality heh. Mine has better panel alignment and such but seems to have settled into the same level of wonkiness with interior noises, window struggles, etc. creaks from the chassis all X's eventually end up at. Expect 90's domestic build quality as I've said before on here many times, and you won't be disappointed

Also without any real data to back it up the P100D and P90D don't feel appreciably quicker than my Long Range Plus above 55mph or so - which makes sense, the Raven's front motor ought to in theory be able to hang in there a lot longer at high rpm, and the big rear motor is all about low-speed launch and the power electronics/battery start to be the limiting factor at highway speeds on the old cars. I've not tried a Raven Performance but I bet it feels better up top. Obviously both are much quicker from a stop or low-speed than mine,

I about rear-ended somebody twice this morning without true one-pedal in the latest P100D loaner I have (not locked in Chill, wonder of wonders) lol

20's are $150-250 each on ebay in good shape (I just got one for under $200 shipped not long ago to replace a curbed one, cheaper than repairing!), plus another grand for tires and mounting. Not gonna be $3k unless you really smash an easy button

Also, check out the Benz EQB. Can't be much more money than a used X. EQB is about as normcore an SUV as you can get. Box-it-came-in styling and practicality, available 3rd row for small people, decent "2017 Model X P100D"-level range, and doesn't have any of the Tesla weirdness. Or the weirdness everyone is building into their EV's by default for some reason. I got the chance to sit in one and play around with it, and, it's just a normal car you happen to plug in. What a revelation lol

Last edited:
I'd go for the 6-seater if I were you. They seem to be worth a premium on the secondary market (along with the 7-seater) and it's one of the few differentiators between X and the brand-new vehicles being sold today in similar range/class (The hyundai, iX, etc. are 5-seaters). The Performance models are also commanding better resale on average. And the extra rear vents are nice. And the warranty is almost-priceless.

Also, just my opinion, I don't notice a huge difference in fit/finish/rattles/squeaks between my 29,000 mile november 2020 build X and the higher-mileage, older X's (like, 50-80,000 miles) I've driven. I've now sampled 45000+-mile 75D, 100D, P100D, P90D, and a 90D over the years. They all seem pretty similar in overall quality, and it'll matter a lot more how well somebody cleaned it recently to give the impression of quality heh. Mine has better panel alignment and such but seems to have settled into the same level of wonkiness with interior noises, window struggles, etc. creaks from the chassis all X's eventually end up at. Expect 90's domestic build quality as I've said before on here many times, and you won't be disappointed

Also without any real data to back it up the P100D and P90D don't feel appreciably quicker than my Long Range Plus above 55mph or so - which makes sense, the Raven's front motor ought to in theory be able to hang in there a lot longer at high rpm, and the big rear motor is all about low-speed launch and the power electronics/battery start to be the limiting factor at highway speeds on the old cars. I've not tried a Raven Performance but I bet it feels better up top. Obviously both are much quicker from a stop or low-speed than mine,

I about rear-ended somebody twice this morning without true one-pedal in the latest P100D loaner I have (not locked in Chill, wonder of wonders) lol

20's are $150-250 each on ebay in good shape (I just got one for under $200 shipped not long ago to replace a curbed one, cheaper than repairing!), plus another grand for tires and mounting. Not gonna be $3k unless you really smash an easy button

Also, check out the Benz EQB. Can't be much more money than a used X. EQB is about as normcore an SUV as you can get. Box-it-came-in styling and practicality, available 3rd row for small people, decent "2017 Model X P100D"-level range, and doesn't have any of the Tesla weirdness. Or the weirdness everyone is building into their EV's by default for some reason. I got the chance to sit in one and play around with it, and, it's just a normal car you happen to plug in. What a revelation lol
Thank you so much for the advice. Really helpful! Do you think I should just try to stick with the 2019 performance S and eventually trade towards a newer X? Seems like it may not be a smart move financially (even with the warranty) to go down 2 years for the P100D.