Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need The Opinion Of Others For My Purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're not going to be able to sleep until you decide to buy it, you won't be able to live with yourself until you have configured the car, and then you won't be able to tolerate it until the MS arrives. The Model S is not initially good for your mental health, but then you will experience a sense of privilege and gratitude each and every time you drive the car. You don't need the performance version, the pano roof, the air suspension, the upgraded paint, and a few other options, but buy the car!

Targeting an S85 is very prudent. I <3 the P85 but the S85 is a good value as well.

Regen braking can be set in 'low' or 'standard' mode. The setting now sticks with the seat memory. After 15k miles and seeing how my wife drives versus how I drive -- she's running with 'low' and I'm running with 'standard'.

If you want to save a few $$ put yourself on list for one of the loaner cars and then hope your configuration comes up in a few months. Or you could get exactly what you want within a month or two if you order now. I understand the disappointment with any other car, but if you really want to shave thousands of $$ then getting a used one will be worth it. Besides, maybe you could get a loaded P85 for the price of a standard S85.

Targeting an S85 is very prudent. I <3 the P85 but the S85 is a good value as well.

Regen braking can be set in 'low' or 'standard' mode. The setting now sticks with the seat memory. After 15k miles and seeing how my wife drives versus how I drive -- she's running with 'low' and I'm running with 'standard'.

If you want to save a few $$ put yourself on list for one of the loaner cars and then hope your configuration comes up in a few months. Or you could get exactly what you want within a month or two if you order now. I understand the disappointment with any other car, but if you really want to shave thousands of $$ then getting a used one will be worth it. Besides, maybe you could get a loaded P85 for the price of a standard S85.

I think I may look into the used market too. This is good advice. Thanks. I have no qualms going used so its a good choice. :)

The Tesla I am considering is going to be 97k total, before the tax rebate which will probably be countered by taxes from my stock. This is something again I am going to talk to a professional about.

With the Model S I am still able to pay double payment on not only my house but my future Tesla as well. So, payment wise its not that big of a deal. I financed my home when rates were still low so I am thankful for that. My "Master Plan of Tesla Buying" is to pay both the Tesla and house off as soon as possible. Besides, the Tesla, I don't spend my money on anything but paying off any debts I have. I find financial stability a lot more appealing then buying new toys or things I don't need, if that makes sense. I will buy new furniture from time to time of course and do upgrades to the house, but for the most part my lifestyle is very low key.

To give you a picture. I plan to have a Tesla payment of no more then 700 a month. If I have to save more so be it. Currently my monthly house payment is also 700 (my wife pays half as well). So my plan is to pay close to 2000 a month on both per month. The only reason I am not sinking 4k a month into my house is because I am saving for the Tesla. Haha. So, I should have the Tesla payed off hopefully in 2-4 years as opposed to the full 7 years.

But as above people have noted natural disasters can happen. I have savings for 6 months out in case of unemployment. But I didn't think of other risks. :)

My Tesla: Blue, Pano Roof, Leather, 85kwh non-performance, tech package, audio package, sensors, lights, interior lights.

THAT'S MY CAR. I love it. Don't forget the zero gas. I don't know how far you drive, but not buying gas for 8-10 years is worth something.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 182
You are like, 28 I believe. 27 at this thread's start, right.
I am 20+years of greater vintage, so to speak.
My Model S is my first new car.
Patience. Enjoy the thread. Learn. Watch Tesla grow and diversify. See the other EVs arriving over the next 24 months.
Think: Model E or Model S off a lease in two short years. Save your self tens of thousands.
That $80K in stock is worth many years of retirement, and will lead to many other new cars - later.
Put it away in solid diversified investments. Hire a professional. Listen. A lot.
If, someday, you laugh at that because you have so much cash the 80K is chump change, great. Write me and let me know. I will laugh with you.
If, someday, life's more meaningful challenges than car-buying grab you by your left…wrist, then you'll have meaningful cash saved to save you.
I love this car, but I always say it's the most important thing to me of all the things that don't really matter.

You have nothing but time.

When I was 28, I was just as obsessed with '63-'67 Corvettes as I am now regarding the Tesla. I never did buy the Corvette because I was living in an apartment and was concerned about it getting stolen. Cost then...$20,000 cost today...$200,000...and now not something you'd want as a daily driver. I've regretted not buying that Corvette ever since. Now I'm 49, obsessed with the Tesla, and I'm gonna buy no matter what. My advice to you...just go for it.

Amped. You sound a lot like me except that my C2 obsessesion started when I was in high school (I worked at a golf course and a guy had a Daytona blue 63 roadster that was well used but beautiful as his daily driver who was there nearly every day-this was the mid 80's). I bought a 63 Split Window about 8 years ago because they seemed to be getting out of reach financially. I don't drive it as often as I should, but its a work of art so looking at it gives me as much satisfaction as driving it. I do agree-not a daily driver type of car. The Model S is an ideal daily driver though and I truly do not regret buying it ever though its not for the frugal. You have 6 or 7 more years under your belt than me, but I net we would have a lot to talk about and a lot in common if we ever met

- - - Updated - - -

Raises a hand too ;)

Politely reminds you that there are no atheists in hell ;)

@OP.. you sound a lot like me... however I finally took the plunge and got the car. I just couldn't resist it. I was contemplating for a while in regards to paying for a car thats 97K before tax deduction. My original confi car was scheduled to be delivered in feb, however today they found a demo car that meets closely to my specs and i will have it in 2 weeks.. so I took the plunge. :)
I am 27, have my own business and no more house payments and so I decided to go for it.. you only live once after all! But you are the one who has to make the ultimate financial decision and I see you do realize that! Good luck either way you decide! If you have been trolling the forum for a year, you obviously really want it and sounds to me you can afford it, so why not go for it.. you won't rest till you get one! ;)

Also, I don't feel like waiting till Model E and I would like a vehicle in this class.

Read what you wrote: You've already decided to buy the car.

I suggest you delay the purchase as long as you can stand it, but no longer.

Attempt to save up as much extra cash as possible during that period.

You know the Tesla company backwards and forwards by now; so while you're putting off the car purchase, attempt to make as much money on the stock as you can -- by which I mean, study the patterns, watch the timing, don't sell the week after three news reports of Model S fires -- sell on your own schedule. :rolleyes: This is not investment advice, just advice to pay careful attention to how you handle your investment. You may be able to squeeze some extra money out of the stock market using your knowledge about the Tesla company -- do it.

All of this -- making more cash -- will make you feel better about what you're doing. I totally understand not wanting to borrow money; borrowing money is risky in a particular way which I'm not comfortable with. There are some extraordinarily low interest rates available for car loans right now, though, and if you can get one of those, you might want to do so if it won't keep you up at night.

Of course, plan to sell your old car -- both cars if you can get by as a one-car family -- to raise a little more cash.

Get the Standard 85, not the Performance -- you'll love the Standard. Leave off any options on the car which you don't really care about; the options are *pricey* -- if you can stand it, get plain white or black paint, even. If you can find a used Model S which you like, get that.

If you work on this, you should be able to get your cash up and the outlay on the car down to where you can still pay off a big hunk of your mortgage.

- - - Updated - - -

On the other hand, if in one's belief system this existence is all that there is, then it is understandable that there would be less of an inclination to defer gratification.
Funny, I actually don't think there's an afterlife, but I have been told that I defer gratification way, way too much -- far more than most people do. I put off buying my electric car repeatedly, even after moaning for 5 years about how much I wanted one.

I think ability and tendency to defer gratification may simply be genetic, part of the way we're each born.