Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Need to submit final balance before being allowed to see vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm one of the lucky few who have an upcoming delivery for a Model Y.

But then I got a call from someone at the delivery center (Rocklin, CA) saying that I need to submit the payment for the final amount before I can even see the vehicle.

I brought up the concern that I'd like to see the vehicle before paying for it. According to him, the delivery process is fairly rigid - I need to complete the purchase in order for the app to show me the location of the vehicle.

I asked several times, what if I wanted to inspect first before taking delivery? The reply was that there's no way to do this, and if I find any issues it would need to be handled through the service center, or I could go through the return process (subject to the usual limitations).

This doesn't seem right. This is very different from the process when I picked up my Model 3 (from the same place), where I could look over the car before handing over the check. Granted that was a while ago. And I've seen posts where buyers have been allowed to see their cars in advance of the delivery.

Is this really the process now?

How do buyers "reject" delivery if issues are found?

For those who rejected delivery of a vehicle, did you need to still pay the full balance up front?

@LevelHeaded: Thanks for pointing out your post - I had missed it.

At least they're letting you look at the car from the outside.

In my case, I was told that without completing the transaction online, I wouldn't even be able to find out where the car is located.

I brought up the concern that I'd like to see the vehicle before paying for it. According to him, the delivery process is fairly rigid - I need to complete the purchase in order for the app to show me the location of the vehicle.

That's the key. He's trying to trick you because you have to pay and accept before it shows up in your app. Well so what mr. sales guy, I'll just walk over and look for the vins until I find my car and inspect it from the outside before accepting delivery.

Reactions: vertigo235
I just took delivery today. I posted some detailed comments on another thread.

As for final payment, I used a check and 3rd party loan. I completed the paperwork and gave them the checks after they gave me my car. And they didn’t even look over my paperwork and checks to make sure I did it correctly. It was very odd.

We do love the car though and fit/finish were reasonable.

Indeed, it sounds like the process can be vary a lot depending on the time and delivery center.

It's a bummer that mine is so insistent on having the payment before seeing the vehicle.

Given the recent news about the quality issues, you'd think they'd be a little more flexible.

I just took delivery today. I posted some detailed comments on another thread.

As for final payment, I used a check and 3rd party loan. I completed the paperwork and gave them the checks after they gave me my car. And they didn’t even look over my paperwork and checks to make sure I did it correctly. It was very odd.

We do love the car though and fit/finish were reasonable.

That mirrors exactly my experience. I refused to pay electronically, instead paying by check and financing. I also got access to the car before accepting delivery. I asked them to look over my documents if only to make a good faith effort not to miss anything.