Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negative down payment refund check?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to some last minute changes post-funding but before delivery (mostly involving FSD transfer) and positive net trade-in equity, we ended up with a negative downpayment on our MVPA. It is over $10,000, so naturally I'm wondering when/how/if I'm going to get my money from Tesla.

Has anyone ended up with money owed to them after taking delivery? What was your experience? Its been a little over a week so I've begun reaching out to Tesla in gentle ways, but they have over $10k of my money in their possession so I'm looking to get it ASAP.

Due to some last minute changes post-funding but before delivery (mostly involving FSD transfer) and positive net trade-in equity, we ended up with a negative downpayment on our MVPA. It is over $10,000, so naturally I'm wondering when/how/if I'm going to get my money from Tesla.

Has anyone ended up with money owed to them after taking delivery? What was your experience? Its been a little over a week so I've begun reaching out to Tesla in gentle ways, but they have over $10k of my money in their possession so I'm looking to get it ASAP.

I dont work for Tesla or anything, but my expectation would be that it will be at least 4-6 weeks before you see any money back, and if you have financing involved, it would likely go back to the financing company and not you. If you dont have financing involved, then it should be "cleaner" for them to process it.

One of the methods of financial fraud is for someone to overpay something and then "oh just send me that back". Im not accusing you of that (Let me repeat, I am not accusing you of that), however that type of fraud is common enough for companies to watch out for, any "overpay and send me that back" situation normally brings a bunch of checks and balances and approvals for the best run companies.

For a company like Tesla, which handles any exceptions at all "poorly", you are likely in for a bit of a ride, but as long as everything is on the up and up, you (or the finance company if you financed) will get the refund "eventually".. but I would be surprised if its faster than 4-6 weeks.

Mine took about 5 weeks. Tesla is playing the cash flow game.

Reactions: mal_tsla
I've got you beat. I flipped back and forth between trading in my 2018 Model S or not. I ended up with the trade-in. Tesla owes me $36,004. The National Sales Text Line (510 369-1239) says it will take 4-6 weeks.
Pretty ridiculous. My payment to them was instantaneous. I would have expected the same. But frankly, Tesla really doesn't care what their customers want.

I've got you beat. I flipped back and forth between trading in my 2018 Model S or not. I ended up with the trade-in. Tesla owes me $36,004. The National Sales Text Line (510 369-1239) says it will take 4-6 weeks.
Pretty ridiculous. My payment to them was instantaneous. I would have expected the same. But frankly, Tesla really doesn't care what their customers want.
That is totally unacceptable. They have your car...and you have nothing? I hope you didn't sign the title over yet. I would literally not get off the phone until they gave me the money. When I sold a car to Carvana, they initiated the transfer right in front of me on an iPad, and I got a text with the confirmation that the ACH transfer had initiated and I had the money the next day.