Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 10-30 socket close to gas line, will direct extension help or hurt?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,
I have a NEMA 10-30 socket behind my dryer which is not used as I have a gas dryer now. I bought a Tesla 10-30 adapter for the UMC and tested the socket out and the car charges fine at 24A. My concern is the UMC and more importantly the short adapter between the UMC and the socket getting hot so close to the gas line (seen reports on this forum that it gets too hot to touch at 40A). The UMC and the cable do touch or is in close proximity to the gas line. The socket itself is somewhat hard to access given it behind and in between the wall and the dryer itself.
I use this only occasionally as I have only a 25 mile commute a day and I mostly charge from a 120V overnight. To make myself 'feel' safer (and sleep better) for the occasional use of 10-30, I thought of having a extension cord (directly connected) which I can plug in the Tesla short adapter to. That way the UMC (and the Tesla adapter) if far from the line and I can keep this extension cord always plugged in.

I did buy the below items to make the extension cord, they are UL listed and rated for 250V, 30A

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009W3P5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004YUMW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

• 20180531_200101.jpg
    20180531_200101.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
A warm power cable is not going to cause problems with your gas line.

I've yet to get a 14-50 installed in my garage, so I'm using the 5-15 for now. I've a gas dryer, so on occasion I utilize the unused 14-30 for faster charging. I use a 25ft extension cord as the outlet's in the house, too far for the UMC cable to reach, which also entails using a comforter & towel to keep the Houston heat out of the house

IMG_9873.jpg

I would be very surprised if it gets very warm at 24a. Issues with gas have more to do with ignition sources (sparks) than they do with warmth...and for ignition to be a problem, you'd have to have a leak. Besides you have a BIG ignition source right there (the dryer itself).

If you want to do a soap test of your connections to verify they don't leak, I wouldn't say not to, but I doubt there's any concern.

(seen reports on this forum that it gets too hot to touch at 40A)
That is outdated information from the old 1st generation UMC that isn't relevant to the 2nd generation UMC that comes with the Model 3 cars anyway. And this would only be pulling 24A, anyway, when the UMC has a maximum capability of 32A, so you're not even running it at max level, so it shouldn't even be very warm at all.