Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Consultation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 188681 I'm amazed at the quotes I am seeing. I paid a master electrician as a "side job" in cash $400 + $200 for some 1AWG aluminum wire. This included installation of a brand new sub panel in the garage, a HPWC and 14-50 outlet running from that panel, and another 14-50 outlet in my existing panel. I bought all materials at Home Depot/lowes totaling about $250-300. My run was 6 ft as all he had to do was drill a hole through my garage wall where the main power was on the exterior. It's actually really easy to DIY once you see it done.

Yeah, that's what I figured. I've run wire before, and I have the advantage of a gigantic crawlspace to pull cables through, so I figured I could just do it myself. It's not all done yet, but last night, I ran the 6/3 Romex over to under my subpanel, fully secured to the joists as per code, and now all I need to do is pull it up into the panel. Not 100% sure how to do that, but I have really powerful magnets and chain, and I figure that'll be my way up.

I did think briefly about running a new subpanel. In which case, I guess I'd need to go to the main panel and run a brand new line over to the garage. I don't think it'd be horrible, so I might do that for fun later (I know, what's wrong with me), but I would prefer to be able to charge my car sooner.

Also, aluminum wire? I'm a little surprised. They keep saying not to use it, though I think that's more for standard 15/20A branch circuits that may or may not intersect with copper. The equivalent 2 AWG copper would be heavy.

Also, aluminum wire? I'm a little surprised. They keep saying not to use it, though I think that's more for standard 15/20A branch circuits that may or may not intersect with copper. The equivalent 2 AWG copper would be heavy.

Yea I actually specifically asked about the aluminum and he stated its fine running your main service just not all the smaller circuits in the house. I guess the main feed coming from road will always be aluminum too and running the new sub it was fine to be aluminum. Coming off the sub I have #2 copper to the HPWC and #6 copper going to the 14-50 NEMA.

Please use copper wire for your EVSE. It is better in many ways, and yes, more expensive. Lower voltage drop; termination that will not work loose and heat up; easier to work with and terminate. Please use copper if you can manage it.

Last edited: