Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None are the same as you are aware, I have seen anything from a couple hundred to over a thousand.
Depends on your location, the location of your breaker panel and if it has room and is up to the task, where it is in relation to where your 14-50 will be installed and ease of access to install the wiring between the two.

I’ve had 2 installed by the same electrician. First was in 2015 - my first Tesla, in a house we no longer are in. Garage outlet was literally diagonally opposite basement panel and up a level. Also all walls were finished and they fished the wire. $1200 as I recall. Fast forward 5 years - we moved. New house has sub panel w/100 amps in garage and spare slots. Outlet is right next to box. Price $600.

try googling the difference between a Hubble 14-50 and a Leviton one. Or doing a load calculation for a load center, the differences between continuous loads and non continuous loads and then share what you have learned with the class...

I 'learned' that a Hubble 14-50 should use #6 wire, be connected to a 50A breaker and is rated for 40A continuous load. I 'learned' that a Leviton 14-50 should use #6 wire, be connected to a 50A breaker and is rated for 40A continuous load. One does cost a bit more ;)

I 'learned' that a Hubble 14-50 should use #6 wire, be connected to a 50A breaker and is rated for 40A continuous load. I 'learned' that a Leviton 14-50 should use #6 wire, be connected to a 50A breaker and is rated for 40A continuous load. One does cost a bit more ;)

a welder isn’t a continuous load so you would do the load calculations different as well to determine if the panel can handle the additional load of the ev charger.

Just got a 14-50 installed last week. Had the plug installed about 1 foot under, and a foot over from the electrical box. Charged 400 for the install, plus the cost of the materials, roughly 500 total. This was completed by an electrician I am friends with.

Reactions: YForMeee
a welder isn’t a continuous load so you would do the load calculations different as well to determine if the panel can handle the additional load of the ev charger.
This is already covered. The welder is intermittent, so it can do the full 50A on and off. The EVSE is constant, so it can do 40A continuously. You still install the outlet the same way, whichever it is, as @nwdiver said.

the load calculation on the panel is different. I would assume you would know that.
Ah yes, that part. They are close but a little bit different. I figured we were past that and that it was already a given that there was capacity and was just talking about the installation methods and wiring size, which would not be different. I think a lot of the disagrees with you were for the ridiculous statement that an electrician won't charge more for the quote because of seeing a Tesla. People frequently see 5X or more for quotes if the electrician sees that it is for a Tesla.

Ah yes, that part. They are close but a little bit different. I figured we were past that and that it was already a given that there was capacity and was just talking about the installation methods and wiring size, which would not be different.

well, perhaps before making an you know what of yourself you shouldn’t assume?
I think a lot of the disagrees with you were for the ridiculous statement that an electrician won't charge more for the quote because of seeing a Tesla.
Two is a lot? Lol. The other guy you are referring too just gave me 600 dislikes. Literally.

People frequently see 5X or more for quotes if the electrician sees that it is for a Tesla.
Bull. What they see is the company with the most aggressive advertising first, get a high price from the high priced company, then when they get other quotes from other companies that are lower they just assume it was because of the Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo

.... if whether the new 50A circuit is continuous or not determines whether you need a new panel or not... then you need a new panel. Lets say it was for a welder... and a year later they got an EV. Think they'll do a load calc on their panel before plugging in?

Bull. What they see is the company with the most aggressive advertising first, get a high price from the high priced company, then when they get other quotes from other companies that are lower they just assume it was because of the Tesla.
No. I'm calling bull on your bull. This has been tested and proven multiple times. People have tested this and not in the way you are theorizing with apples to elephants with different electrical companies. They have had people call the exact same company to quote the exact same job but gotten 2X to 5X more expensive when the electrician finds out it is for a Tesla. Some companies won't do that, but a huge number of them do.

well, perhaps before making an you know what of yourself you shouldn’t assume?
I suppose I am predisposed to assume some about your comments since what we went through a couple months ago with you repeatedly and incorrectly recommending people use 6 gauge Romex for 60A circuits.

Last edited:
Curious question, for real. You have talked about how the load calculations would be different if it were a welder or an EVSE. I know that the methods are different, but as far as I know, they yield the same number.

It uses 100% value of the non-constant loads + 125% of the constant loads on that branch circuit. It's one outlet with one item, so it's just going to be one of those things on either side of the + sign. The welder you take as a non-constant 50A appliance for 100% of 50A = 50A. A Clipper Creek or somesuch EVSE on that outlet is 125% of 40A = 50A. They are different methods, but I'm not seeing how the 50A or 50A would affect the load calculation differently.

the duty cycle for a welder vs an EV is very different. I would not recommend this approach. ElectricIans aren’t going to charge you more because it’s a Tesla.
And this is what you said in another thread about pricing.

Why should we do it for less? Why do you get paid so much to shuffle papers?

If people would pay me 10k to install their chargers I would charge them 10k. If they would pay me a million dollars I would charge them a million.

My time and knowledge is worth as much as I can charge for it.

And this is what you said in another thread about pricing.

I know silly, that’s why it doesn’t matter if it’s an EV or a welder as far as pricing goes, I’m gonna charge you the max either way.

I don’t need to see a Tesla to know you have money. And besides how much money you have isn’t the limiting factor of my price, what another qualified electrician will do it for is.

Last edited: