Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-50 Meltdown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one who's sees a melted 14-60 receptacle (not a 14-50?!). Did the OP jam the 14-50 plug into a 14-60R? If so, there's your problem. Nothing to do with wiring or quality of receptacle. Maybe its an optical illusion. If so, I apologize.

Am I the only one who's sees a melted 14-60 receptacle (not a 14-50?!). Did the OP jam the 14-50 plug into a 14-60R? If so, there's your problem. Nothing to do with wiring or quality of receptacle. Maybe its an optical illusion. If so, I apologize.
The outlet is mounted ground up. You can sort of make out the vertical 14-50 neutral slot at the bottom of the picture. A 14-50P would not fit at all in a 14-60R without cutting off the neutral pin, which is still attached to the adapter in the picture.

OK. Someone explain what role this picture plays into any discussion in this thread:

Attachments

• IMG_0316 (1).jpg
    IMG_0316 (1).jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 230
I guess I'm the only one who sees a 14-60 or possible a 18-60 receptacle. All the blades look to me like they accept flat metal and not a round ground pin.

I thought it was a 14-60 at first, based on the flat blade at the top, but that’s how the ground pin is shaped in a 14-50 receptacle. If it was a 14-60, the neutral (bottom) pin would be hotizontal, not vertical.

Also, a misshapen ground pin would not cause the problems being discussed in this thread.

Been there done that. Had my electrician install a 14-50 outlet and had no trouble for 1 1/2 years. It would heat up but not too hot until one week I noticed that it was extremely hot but it was also 95 outside so we assumed it was because of the hot weather but while we were sitting on our deck we heard a loud pop and i ran downstairs to find our main 200 amp and 50 amp breakers both tripped. Turns out the wire inside the outlet got way too hot and melted the insulation off and shorted out. I had him rewire it and now its hard wired and there is no heat evident at all when charging.
20200804_174829.jpg
20200804_174832.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Been there done that. Had my electrician install a 14-50 outlet and had no trouble for 1 1/2 years. It would heat up but not too hot until one week I noticed that it was extremely hot but it was also 95 outside so we assumed it was because of the hot weather but while we were sitting on our deck we heard a loud pop and i ran downstairs to find our main 200 amp and 50 amp breakers both tripped. Turns out the wire inside the outlet got way too hot and melted the insulation off and shorted out. I had him rewire it and now its hard wired and there is no heat evident at all when charging. View attachment 595148 View attachment 595148 View attachment 595149

Looks like a wire came loose. What Amp rate did you normally use?

All wires and fittings were still tight. We took it apart together and he couldn't understand how and why it got so hot. Its on a 50 amp and I only charge at 40 amps and its on 6 gauge wire.

It may have felt tight after it cooled, it may have been a lot less tight at 190F than 70F, but there was clearly a high resistance connection in there.

My recommendation to people is to only use the charge rate you need. The heat generated by current is exponential. 40A produces 4x as much heat as 20A and 16x as much heat as 10A. Every charge cycle slightly expands and contracts those connections so every charge cycle is another opportunity for something to loosen. The higher the current the more thermal expansion.

It may have felt tight after it cooled, it may have been a lot less tight at 190F than 70F, but there was clearly a high resistance connection in there.

My recommendation to people is to only use the charge rate you need. The heat generated by current is exponential. 40A produces 4x as much heat as 20A and 16x as much heat as 10A. Every charge cycle slightly expands and contracts those connections so every charge cycle is another opportunity for something to loosen. The higher the current the more thermal expansion.
Well im not the electrician but I do trust the person who installed it and I trust his word. Either way its hardwired now and no heat at all.

I noticed the outlet and 14-50 adapter were now melted together. We were absolutely lucky the breaker tripped.
The charging system was put in over a year ago with no issues.
My original 14-50 adapter was replaced by Tesla because they stated there was a chance of starting a fire
(that is what I recall the letter said). For my setup I use the 14-50 adapter with the Tesla mobile always plugged into it. I never unplug the mobile charger from the 14-50 plug except for very rare occasions (once or twice a year).
Did you have your UMC charger hanging directly from the plug or did you use a bracket to hold its weight?

I suspect that one pin of the plug was not making a good contact, because of the weight of the UMC,
and the connection of the pin with the socket was using only a very small spot with the receptacle.

Thus, the pin started to overheat and the heat got propagated to the wire which started to melt creating a short with the metal box and conduit.

Tesla UMC Bracket.jpg

Reactions: 2101Guy
Been there done that. Had my electrician install a 14-50 outlet and had no trouble for 1 1/2 years. It would heat up but not too hot until one week I noticed that it was extremely hot but it was also 95 outside so we assumed it was because of the hot weather but while we were sitting on our deck we heard a loud pop and i ran downstairs to find our main 200 amp and 50 amp breakers both tripped. Turns out the wire inside the outlet got way too hot and melted the insulation off and shorted out. I had him rewire it and now its hard wired and there is no heat evident at all when charging. View attachment 595148 View attachment 595149

I wonder what brand and level of quality your NEMA 14-50R was? The screw terminals and configuration of the wire slots makes me think that your melted receptacle is a $10 receptacle. Get the better Hubbell or Bryant one (see the Tesla spec or search these forums) which cost like $60, and look at the construction and how the wires are clamped. This is a high amperage continuous current use case. You want the best.

I wonder what brand and level of quality your NEMA 14-50R was? The screw terminals and configuration of the wire slots makes me think that your melted receptacle is a $10 receptacle. Get the better Hubbell or Bryant one (see the Tesla spec or search these forums) which cost like $60, and look at the construction and how the wires are clamped. This is a high amperage continuous current use case. You want the best.
I will definitely be using the better brand if I add another outlet but for now one charger thats hardwired works fine for both our cars