Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nema 14-50 splitter?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to do something like this, but the electrician quoted $800, which is more than I paid to install the original outlet that required pulling power from the panel to the garage.
Well it's not going to go under about $200 or so for any job just to have a company take your call, schedule you, do a bid and pull into your driveway. Then there are some parts and labor for putting in that box and doing the two wire runs to two different places in your garage. So yeah, maybe it could have been 4 or 5 hundred, but $800 isn't out of the realm of possibility. I'm just talking about if trying to add an additional 50A circuit means your main service needs to be upgraded, that can run a few thousand dollars.

Obviously would lose some charging capacity, but I thought (maybe not?) that it would be cheaper than buying a splitter like SPLITVOLT NEMA 14-30/14-50 SWITCH SPS - Splitvolt or Shop Home Level 2 EV Charging Adapters | NeoCharge
Oh jeez--don't ever get one like that first one. It's plugging into a 30A outlet and then splitting it to offer a 30A outlet and a 50A (!) outlet. And then it's depending on your scout's honor remembering to promise not to ever overdraw the circuit. Don't do that. If you are going to use a smart splitter like that, only do one that splits to two of the same type that the original outlet is.

I just don't know that it solves your problem of the location and reach of cables though, does it? If you split it there, could you really plug in two charging cables directly and still reach both parking spaces? Wouldn't you have to buy extra extension cords, which are going to cost a couple of hundred more dollars anyway? So then that's more plugged connection points. It might be better off to spend the few hundred extra to do it right.

• Informative
Reactions: davewill
I am trying to do something like this, but the electrician quoted $800, which is more than I paid to install the original outlet that required pulling power from the panel to the garage.

He said to take the existing 14-50, install a 50 amp breaker box where the outlet is then run (2) 20 amp 240-volt outlets.

Obviously would lose some charging capacity, but I thought (maybe not?) that it would be cheaper than buying a splitter like SPLITVOLT NEMA 14-30/14-50 SWITCH SPS - Splitvolt or Shop Home Level 2 EV Charging Adapters | NeoCharge
$800 seems fairly reasonable to me. Is that for a second 50a line or is that for splitting the 50a into two 20a circuits? Splitting the 50a requires a fair amount of parts (two new outlets/boxes, a load center plus breakers). It adds up. I'm not sure why he suggest two 20a outlets, you should be able to do a 30a and 20a. It would be handy to have one of them be 30a, so that you can charge a little faster when you need to.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Man I was super excited until I clicked on it and saw that price. Talk about sticker shock lol…was NOT expecting that. For that price I’m just going to get another 14-50 installed.
Yeah, the money is better spent actually solving the problem by allowing the cars to actually charge simultaneously than working around it, and only resolving the safety/fire hazard and still not being able to charge at the same time.

The smart splitter goes with YOU if you move.
1. OP may never move.
2. Even if the OP moves, there's no guarantee that this smart splitter would be needed. The new place could have one outlet per vehicle.
3. The smart splitter is likely to either break or become obsolete junk so even if it's unneeded, it's unlikely the OP could sell it for much.

Unless the OP is planning on moving before the warranty on that smart splitter expires, it's probably better to just spend the money getting a new outlet installed properly. And actually, if the OP owns the home, it's probably better to do this too, because an additional outlet adds value to the house and it'll be possible to sell it for slightly more money or get slightly more in rent for it.

Reactions: Gutta420
Best solution: install a second EV charging circuit.

If that's too expensive, properly share the existing circuit:
1. Use a splitter like SplitVolt or DryerBuddy.
2. Use separate EVSE units that can share power. JuiceBox, and Tesla Wall Connector Gen3 can do this. The existing 14-50 plug should be replaced with a small sub-panel with separate 50A breakers for each EVSE. The EVSE will communicate to make sure they don't overload the feeder circuit.
3. Use a dual head EVSE that has internal power sharing. Clipper Creek has one like this.

Well it's not going to go under about $200 or so for any job just to have a company take your call, schedule you, do a bid and pull into your driveway. Then there are some parts and labor for putting in that box and doing the two wire runs to two different places in your garage. So yeah, maybe it could have been 4 or 5 hundred, but $800 isn't out of the realm of possibility. I'm just talking about if trying to add an additional 50A circuit means your main service needs to be upgraded, that can run a few thousand dollars.

Oh jeez--don't ever get one like that first one. It's plugging into a 30A outlet and then splitting it to offer a 30A outlet and a 50A (!) outlet. And then it's depending on your scout's honor remembering to promise not to ever overdraw the circuit. Don't do that. If you are going to use a smart splitter like that, only do one that splits to two of the same type that the original outlet is.

I just don't know that it solves your problem of the location and reach of cables though, does it? If you split it there, could you really plug in two charging cables directly and still reach both parking spaces? Wouldn't you have to buy extra extension cords, which are going to cost a couple of hundred more dollars anyway? So then that's more plugged connection points. It might be better off to spend the few hundred extra to do it right.

So the main issue for me is that I only need a temporary solution for the 10 or so months I’m living with my in-laws and I don’t want to do anything permanent that can’t be reversed (which adds to cost). They’ve got the 50 amp service now so best option if we want to chargers is to split to two outlets, but again, it’s pretty permanent.

I liked the idea of a good quality splitter that may have a second hand market for me to sell it afterwards as I’ll have no need in the future.

Ultimately we may just end up sharing a single charger with an extension cord so we at least don’t have to play a game of constantly rotating cars. Or at least give it a shot now while weather is still decent before just biting the bullet and doing something more convenient.

Last edited:
$800 seems fairly reasonable to me. Is that for a second 50a line or is that for splitting the 50a into two 20a circuits? Splitting the 50a requires a fair amount of parts (two new outlets/boxes, a load center plus breakers). It adds up. I'm not sure why he suggest two 20a outlets, you should be able to do a 30a and 20a. It would be handy to have one of them be 30a, so that you can charge a little faster when you need to.
It was to split the existing 50a into a 20-20, not sure why no 30-20 setup unless there was a concern with needing some head room. Ultimately the charge speed doesn’t make a huge difference for me as my charging occurs over night and I only need a couple hours and my mother-in-law maybe drives 15 miles on average per day so she can even go a few days without charging so we might just try sharing the one outlet/charger for now.

I don’t think $800 is an awful price for the work, I just figured it was mostly going to be materials and quick labor given that we don’t need to upgrade panel or make any long runs.

I just installed a NeoCharge splitter and it's been working good, except for last night. It was exactly what I was looking for.
The app is not accurate on the charge data, but I use another app for that anyway. It did stop my charge to the secondary vehicle and I don't know why just yet. Otherwise, it's been great.

Attachments

• 20220805_154048.jpg
    20220805_154048.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 131