Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-60 plug on a HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you elaborate on this?

I was looking for a source on this but cannot find one at present. Basically outlets, like most everything else, is built for a use case. 240V outlets have a rather strong spring to ensure good contacts with the plug. These outlets are intended for use by appliances, such as a dryer, where the appliance is plugged in and then forgotten. Or are put in a shop or garage where perhaps a welder is connected all of the time, or is plugged in when needed. This is an occasional use.

But if you plug and unplug on say a daily basis, the springs loosen. This happens with all outlets, but in the case of a 240V outlet with strong springs, when they get loose some serious arcing can occur. This is especially a problem when cheap outlets have been installed.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I was looking for a source on this but cannot find one at present. Basically outlets, like most everything else, is built for a use case. 240V outlets have a rather strong spring to ensure good contacts with the plug. These outlets are intended for use by appliances, such as a dryer, where the appliance is plugged in and then forgotten. Or are put in a shop or garage where perhaps a welder is connected all of the time, or is plugged in when needed. This is an occasional use.

But if you plug and unplug on say a daily basis, the springs loosen. This happens with all outlets, but in the case of a 240V outlet with strong springs, when they get loose some serious arcing can occur. This is especially a problem when cheap outlets have been installed.

Cool, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that. If you find the source can you please add it? I plug/unplug my welder/plasma cutter all the time and was not aware of this. I will keep an eye out on the female end for any possible arching.

Cool, thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of that. If you find the source can you please add it? I plug/unplug my welder/plasma cutter all the time and was not aware of this. I will keep an eye out on the female end for any possible arching.
Master Thread: Definitive 14-50 NEMA Outlet Guide gives a good rundown and pictures of the various outlet brands (note that even within a brand there are sometimes multiple models of 14-50)

Reactions: Rocky_H and ATPMSD
The cheap outlets you get at Home Depot, etc. are not rated for repeated plugging. There are outlets rated for plugging, unplugging. Also there are industrial rated outlets that are good for continuous use at full rating. They are physically bigger but fit the same box with a different front plate. 40 amp draw for 7-9 hours is severe. I would also suggest an industrial rated breaker, too. This is much safer- ask me how I found that out.