Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neurio meter monitoring solar stops communicating with gateway via WiFi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a separate Neurio meter monitoring solar generation near the solar inverter and connecting to the Gateway 2 via WiFi. Installed this way because of the location of Powerwall (by our meter) compared to solar (by CU), and running cables directly from Gateway to solar neatly and in 15m or less would have been difficult. For the first few months this had worked without any problem, but then we received firmware upgrades and the communication began stopping randomly. This meant no solar data collected by Tesla and so no monitoring in the app, and using timed-based control is even less viable. Sometimes hitting the reset button in the gateway gets the two units communicating again, others we have had to get Tesla support do something a few days later (or maybe it just started again by magic).

Tesla support say that the Neurio connection looks "unstable" and we may have to consider some other solution. They have also blamed Wifi as unreliable, interfered with by atmospheric conditions etc. I find this weak/unreliable Wifi cause unlikely, why was it fine for months? Also since the Gateway is also connected to the internet via WiFi and the router it is communicating with is located next to the Neurio meter. If Gateway and router can "see" each other then so should Gateway and Neurio meter.

I have to think we either have an intermittent hardware fault in Gateway or Neurio meter, or this is a firmware problem. After all it is the firmware that changed, and it is firmware that has to check/re-connect and manage the communications.

Just wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences with additional Neurio meters and Gateway 2?

I have had similar issues, having just posted over here;
Post in thread 'Neurio Monitoring Performance Issue'
Neurio Monitoring Performance Issue

If you can, I would try putting in an access point close to the neurio. I think it has a pathetically weak WiFi system, and the gateway assumes that it can talk directly to the neurio. If that fails to improve things, I would look inside the gateway configuration wizard to see if the gateway is reading the neurio correctly, or if the gateway is experiencing erroneous data from the neurio. I think that erroneous data may have played a role in the gateway ignoring/deleting the neurio information.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: xWren
Thanks for reply @BGbreeder. We do have a access point close to the Neurio, but like you say I think the Gateway is talking to the Neurio directly. They are less than 14 feet apart, Neurio inside the house (no case just exposed on the wall) to Gateway outside the house but with a window so not all solid masonry walls - is the Neurio WiFi really that weak? As you suggest there could be more wrong than just a weak signal otherwise the Gateway should just retry/reconnect not stop working.

Is there any documentation on installation and configuration of additional Neurio meters? I remember the installers messing about for ages to get it set-up and communicating, but did not see they did that finally worked. Then our "stability" issues seemed to start after a power outage and firmware update, as if something changed, not that the installers got it wrong.

How do I access the Gateway configuration wizard? Do I need an installers account and to reset the Powerwall? I would like to be able to see at least what Tesla support can see regarding data errors etc.

From what you said about IP and MAC address use on the other thread I'm still not clear that we can get the Gateway to look across the network (and via stronger WiFi signal of the access point) at the Neurio rather than directly point to point.

Having whacked your mole I hope you can help me whack mine!

I have experienced firmware updates that reset previously flipped current transformers, which then of course causes system upsets. I am seriously considering physically flipping the CTs myself so that this quits happening in the future.

Ok, please bear in mind that I am not a Tesla certified installer, and that there are things that if mis-set in the configuration wizard could cause real issues. Use at your own risk! Oh, and I have no clue what I am doing. I just gently poked at things trying to get things working as both Tesla and my installer seemed to have run out of ideas, and some of the later ideas being floated were kind of far fetched, like running the wiring for the current loops 30 feet. What worked for me may have been totally random, and not generalizable.

If you login as an installer, you can run the wizard and step through until you get to the meters screen, which is actually quite informative. You can see if the neurio is configured, and if it is being read. If you are seeing current levels on both phases (or Phase A is doubled), and the currents are flowing the right directions, you should be good. If the meter is grayed out, the neurio (WiFi meter) may need reconfiguring. I couldn't edit the original meter, so i added a second WiFi meter, which lit up when I finally had the right MAC address and IP configuration. (Secret handshake) I then went back and deleted the original meter. However, the new meter wasn't functional as far as the gateway was concerned until the neurio phase B meter had been turned off, and the phase A meter doubled, because phase B was reporting out of range values. Once that happened, the gateway was happy to read the neurio. (Tesla did the phase B kill and the phase A doubling.)

I do now have the issue wherein the total solar is twice what it should be. I am wondering if Tesla also doubled the main solar CT, while they were doubling the neurio's.

All the best,

BG