Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Never was a petrol head am I gunna be a Battery Head now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are all familiar with the Model S 0-100 sprint and many head to head youtube videos.

I'm curious to know how we stack up with the 30-60, 60-80, 80-100 type times and in comparison to other quick cars.
As I will be doing quite a bit of country driving, I would be curious to know how the Model S stacks up with other quick cars and even average cars when I need/want to pass.
I'm expecting a quick pickup from the instant torque in comparison, but deep down, I think I just want more bragging rights, with numbers to prove it. (Did I say that!) :wink:

Anyone know of any stats?

Brewster my friend - I don't have stats to throw at you but here's my prediction:

0-60: no car will beat you

0-100: if in launch control, driven by someone who knows how to drive, how to shift properly etc, these cars MIGHT beat you: GTR, high end Lambos, Ferrari and Porsche. But can I tell you? HIGHLY UNLIKELY. Why? Because the majority of people who buy these cars do it because they love cars, or want the image/status, or have nothing better to spend their money on. Very few buy them because they are killer track drivers.

30-60: no car will beat you

60-80: no car will beat you

80-100: see 0-100

NOW - where it gets interesting is 120 - 160 and above (not that you would ever drive that fast outside of a track). I think many of the high end sportscars and also high end sedans (M5, S63 AMG, R7) would beat you in that situation.

None of this is backed up by any solid facts - just my "inkling" from watching a whole lot of Model S drag races :D

Also don't forget you are in a 2 tonne car with more luggage space than a minivan, AND you produce zero local emissions. So yeah - I think you win either way :D

Brewster my friend - I don't have stats to throw at you but here's my prediction:

0-60: no car will beat you

0-100: if in launch control, driven by someone who knows how to drive, how to shift properly etc, these cars MIGHT beat you: GTR, high end Lambos, Ferrari and Porsche. But can I tell you? HIGHLY UNLIKELY. Why? Because the majority of people who buy these cars do it because they love cars, or want the image/status, or have nothing better to spend their money on. Very few buy them because they are killer track drivers.

30-60: no car will beat you

60-80: no car will beat you

80-100: see 0-100

NOW - where it gets interesting is 120 - 160 and above (not that you would ever drive that fast outside of a track). I think many of the high end sportscars and also high end sedans (M5, S63 AMG, R7) would beat you in that situation.

None of this is backed up by any solid facts - just my "inkling" from watching a whole lot of Model S drag races :D

Also don't forget you are in a 2 tonne car with more luggage space than a minivan, AND you produce zero local emissions. So yeah - I think you win either way :D

Thanks for giving me that Tesla grin Timpoo and I haven't even driven one yet!! :D

Hey Brewster,

I remember having a conversation with DBorn at the All American Car Day earlier this year where he said that he was comfortably able to overtake 5 cars in his P85 Sig (something he would not have attempted in an ICE vehicle in a similar situation) after only a month or two ownership at the time and i'm sure that he (and others on this forum) would have owned a high performance ICE car at some point in the past

Correction, mine is a plain vanilla 85, and i leave everything in an electron haze from the lights. i hate to think what double the horsepower will do...... the weight of that car is not a lot greater - the second motor would not really add a great deal.
You will, however chew up the electrons rapidly if you do this all the time. That is, jack rabbit starts. It is, however nice to know it is there when you need it, like inserting yourself into the next lane just ahead of a vehicle right next to you and wanting to rapidly get out of their way, even and especially on an uphill grade!!! The car is just amazing in terms of its performance in that situation....