TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New 20'' Two-Tone Slipstream Wheel Option

Discussion in 'Model X' started by s4sammy, Apr 26, 2019.

1. s4sammy

s4sammy Member

I noticed that the 20" Sonic Carbon wheels option have been replaced by 20'' Two-Tone Slipstream Wheels in the online configurator for Model X. (Sonic Carbon is still available for the MS) It's a very minor change and not sure if the additional $2k is really worth it for these new Slipstream wheels.

Attached Files:

• Funny x 1
  2. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

I updated to Sonic Carbon last year, and it took several looks to see what you mean by two-tone. It's outer rim is black.
    I guess the new option has no Sonic Carbon (grey), now back to silver, right?

3. Stirthepot

Stirthepot Member

looks like they also removed carbon fiber trim from both the X and the S too

4. DirectConnection

Mixed feelings on these: creates a nice optical illusion to make the wheel diameter look bigger (nice for those who don't want to the downsides of running 22") but $2K for some well-placed paint is a stretch. I wonder if the inner barrel is black as well?

5. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

That was done months ago.

6. outie

outie Active Member

No, it’s been available for the performance version up until the hardware/motor update.

7. Stirthepot

Stirthepot Member

no it was there on P cars until very recently. i know because i bought one in March

8. Monkey

Monkey Member

FWIW, both the carbon fiber interior trim and sonic carbon wheels are still available off-menu, you have to call. It’s also a while supplies last sort of thing... Same also applies to the 2nd-row console for the 6 seat config.

Personally, I’d buy wheels elsewhere since there are so many good aftermarket options for the same or less money.

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Thanks, good to know. Because I want carbon fiber on my next X! :D

• Like x 1
  10. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

Are you sure it is just not the brake dust covering the wheels since these pads dust so bad

11. BulldogsRus

BulldogsRus Member

Why would they if you most use regen braking, I thought the brakes last like 100k, no?

12. mattack4000

mattack4000 Active Member

They are dusty pads? My wheels are different color and they have 1500 miles on it

• Like x 1
  13. Jimmy00746

Jimmy00746 Member

Off menu order still came will hw3 and new motors?

14. Jimmy00746

Jimmy00746 Member

Off menu order still came will hw3 and new motors?

15. Monkey

Monkey Member

I know I'm a week late responding, but yes. That's the way I understand it. They're only building the cars with the new MCU, suspension, motors, etc.. as of about 10 days ago.

16. s4sammy

s4sammy Member

Stopped by the SC this afternoon where they had a new “Raven” Model X on display with the Two-Tone Slipstream Wheels. It resembles the Model S 21” Turbine wheels from afar & I think it looks great. However, upon closer inspection, the painted black sections of the wheel look like black vinyl stickers were applied between the spokes. Not really a high end look and I’m unsure if this option is worth the extra 2 grand. Did Elon approve of this? I’d much prefer the Sonic Carbon wheels which the sales manager told me is no longer available “off-menu”.

Attached Files:

• Helpful x 1
  17. commasign

commasign TeslaAdviceBlog.com

Very interesting. @Kenriko - possible new product idea? Black vinyl stickers to make stock silver slipstream wheels look like the new $2000 two-tone slipstream wheels?

18. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Someone tell me the real wheels aren’t stickers

19. Kenriko

Kenriko Vendor

That looks like it's just some vinyl and very easy to replicate, I can't believe that they are trying to charge 2k for that. I'm guessing a kit would retail for sub $100 but I won't be sure until I know exactly how much vinyl is used per wheel.

• Like x 1
  20. Kenriko

Kenriko Vendor

Looks like Vinyl to me, best case would be paint.. but Vinyl should give the same effect without spending $2k. I doubt this will be an option for very long.