Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2020 Model 3 Hitch compatibility Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a new 2020 Model 3 at the start of October and a Stealth Hitch. Last night I removed the bumper only to find that the new 2020 omitted a factory bolt that is needed for installation. The directions pointed out that if the bolt is missing I will need to use a factory hole but the 2020 removed the hole too.

I attached two pictures to help if I was not clear enough. Dyslexia is a pain in the ass.

Has anyone ran into this issue? Does anyone know if the Eco hitch only needs three bolts?

Also I am new to this forum and Teslas. This car has me excited to drive again!

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 232
Yikes, I have a model 3 on order and am planning on installing the same hitch.

Do the remaining 3 bolts still line up? If so, I'd think a hitch mounted bike rack with 1 or 2 bikes would still be ok but I wouldn't take the chance without confirmation from hitch company. I imagine they'd be interested in hearing about this and may need to produce an updated model.

I wish Tesla would just offer the factory hitch in the US. I'd even pay their inflated price just to not worry about warranty.

Reactions: Sbax
Yikes, I have a model 3 on order and am planning on installing the same hitch.

Do the remaining 3 bolts still line up? If so, I'd think a hitch mounted bike rack with 1 or 2 bikes would still be ok but I wouldn't take the chance without confirmation from hitch company. I imagine they'd be interested in hearing about this and may need to produce an updated model.

I wish Tesla would just offer the factory hitch in the US. I'd even pay their inflated price just to not worry about warranty.

The way the Hitch mounts would be impossible because the crash bar will only be attached with one bottom bolt on each side. I contacted E-Trailers (I bought the hitch from them) and Stealth Hitch to see what I can do. I have a sad feeling that I will need to drill into the frame... I also reached out to Eco Hitch to see if the three bolts would be enough for their hitch.

Ill update when I find out.

Hey new here,
But I’m dealing with this issue on my 2020 3, I contacted Etrailer and they called Stealth while I was on the phone. They suggested if you have the hole and it’s been taped over, to remove tape and buy a M10 bolt from hardware store. I just bought one at HD. I measured the length on the car at 1.5”. So I got a M10 (150 thread, using one of the nuts from the plate you take off and discard for install, to use in its place with the new bolt) 40mm length.
That’s a (M10/150/40mm) Came 1 in a bag at Home Depot.
Hope that
50EBEB25-DCA0-4B19-B758-3A7E6DBCBE7E.jpeg
50EBEB25-DCA0-4B19-B758-3A7E6DBCBE7E.jpeg

If you don’t have a hole then you can drill it. It goes into the truck just under the taillight.

Hey new here,
But I’m dealing with this issue on my 2020 3, I contacted Etrailer and they called Stealth while I was on the phone. They suggested if you have the hole and it’s been taped over, to remove tape and buy a M10 bolt from hardware store. I just bought one at HD. I measured the length on the car at 1.5”. So I got a M10 (150 thread, using one of the nuts from the plate you take off and discard for install, to use in its place with the new bolt) 40mm length.
Hope that
View attachment 598223View attachment 598223

If you don’t have a hole then you can drill it. It goes into the truck just under the taillight.
Good workaround if the hole is there and taped over. However, I would not drill anything because there is no guarantee that there is anything to screw the threaded stud into behind the aluminum. The more important reason is that drilling into the aluminum could cause cross contamination and corrosion with the aluminum rear of Model 3.

I only plan on a hitch mounted bike rack but service advisor was still pretty open with saying it could affect warranty coverage. Seems like it could definitely get expensive fast if a motor failed and they saw a stealth hitch installed and chose to blame that.

This is my first Tesla and I don't know how they are with this stuff. I've modified a lot of cars in the past and warranty usually just depended on how cool your dealer was.

Hey new here,
Hope that

I have a 2021 and saw this post here on TMC. I thought I would ask Etrailer the question. Here are their response.
Question:
2021 got some changes, from previous years. I was wondering if the stealth hitch still fit? Was hearing 1 of the 4 bolts wasn’t there, and new bracket is needed?

Expert Reply:

You are correct that Tesla has removed one of the bolt holes where a hitch would be installed, but there is a new bracket that is available for this hitch that does address the change for the 2021 Model 3. You will still order the same # 391TES317 (for accessories only) or # 391TES317T (for towing and accessories) that is listed as a fit for your vehicle but new brackets are included.

I've linked an installation video of this part for you to have a look at, as well.

I also got more description in an email from Etrailer.

This is something that Stealth has only recently discovered; the brackets are available directly from them right now so if you order from us, you would just need to reach out to them with your proof of purchase and they will send you the new brackets directly. They've said they're shipping them out to retailers at the end of the year/first few weeks of the new year but it doesn't appear we actually have that bracket on our current stock. Hopefully that makes sense, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

So wait till January to order from Etrailer, or order directly from Stealth Hitches.
Great customer support from Etrailer answering my question.

Hey new here,
Hope that

My 2020 does not have tape or holes. after talking to Stealth Hitches they are sending me a new and updated bracket that will fit. They are get people over their!

Also I am an avid cyclist and only plan on attaching my road/mountain bikes to the hitch.
Great to hear that Stealth Hitches addressed your issue. That's what I needed to hear, now going to order Stealth hitch for my Sept 2020 M3.

My 2021 M3P (Mid Feb build) was missing those bolts and there were no holes for them in the body either. Interestingly the crash bar now only has 2 bolts on one side, 3 on the other (total 5). I just installed the Stealth Hitch (love the product, with it's easy of attaching the receiver), as-is with 6 bolts (3 on ea side on the body and the 5 on the crash bar). I'm only using it for bikes (light ones at that), not towing so I'm not really gonna sweat ring to drill 2 additional bolts onto the rear body and the inherent corrosion possibilities that might lead to, myself.