Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 2021 Model S Unveiled January 27, 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They didn't know they couldn't deliver. They have cars in inventory, people refuse delivery all the time, etc. You might get unlucky and not be able to get the car you wanted. Which they expressly disclaim in your order agreement. What you're asking is for them to both osborne their existing sales and pre-reveal their intended market launch plans, which are just silly demands.
I don't think Tesla is that ignorant about their inventory, order fulfillment cycles, etc.

I also understand there is fine print and disclaimers. I'm not suggesting that there is necessarily a legal issue here. I just feel that the transition could have and should have been handled better.

As far as revealing any market launch plans, Tesla/Elon does that sort of thing all the time. The Roadster, the Cybertruck, Plaid versions of MS, subscription FSD, etc. Many people had already been anticipating a new MS and MX. I don't think announcing an appropriate cut-off date for "old" MS and MX orders would have been especially revealing. Again, it could have and should have been handled better.

How would you get the Pre-Fresh order????? They aren't making them anymore. I would gladly take the car I ordered for the price I agreed on.

Honestly don't know how it would have worked, but it was absolutely offered to me as an option. I chose to order the refreshed model, so I didn't dig into it. But just thought it might be helpful to you to know that was mentioned to me...

Uh... they should have stopped accepting orders for the S in the meantime.

You know - flick the little switch to the proverbial "off" position.

But that's so hard you know -- and would have probably diverted resources from the "fart team."

Just to continue to *sugar* up this thread with discussions of basic business practices 101...

That's not realistic. You know that, right? What would they do, just say "We're not taking orders anymore" back in October, so they could GUARANTEE that every car and combination ordered could be built by December? And then get stuck sitting on all the other inventory they built because they tipped their hand 4-6 months early about a product that still doesn't exist? The lines haven't even started pumping out the new cars... They effectively wrote the writing on the wall as large as they could without flipping that switch, so that people who were invested enough to really care should have been able to see that something was coming.

It sucks being in the crossfire, but in my opinion there's nothing better that could have been done. I'm surprised they even offer the $2000 discount - that seems like a nicer bone to throw than I would have expected. Enjoy a fully refreshed car at a discount, or look for a used/inventory/refused-delivery vehicle, or take your deposit back and buy a car from a company who's sales tactics are more comfortable. Tesla doesn't do model years. Cars change all the time. You take the risk that there's going to be something better, or cheaper, or, rarely, more expensive coming out tomorrow.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'm not mad about not being able to "trick" anyone. The $69,4xx price was already a reach for anything I have ever paid for a car. I wasn't on any of these forums when I placed my order, and was not aware of any shutdown/facelift. I started looking at used Tesla's and for grins, I went to the website to see what they cost new. I was suprised people were asking the same price for used, so I decided to buy new. I put in my order, I even bought a Tesla home wall charger which arrives tomorrow. I passed up on many used deals, and have been very excited about my new car. All the while, Tesla took my order, took my deposit, had my apply for financing, knowing damn good and well they had no intention of filling my order. Now I'm stuck. They should either honor the price they quoted on a facelift S or I would be perfectly content with a 2021 pre-facelift LR+. But they refuse to do either. That is a complete scam, as they knew they were never going to honor my contract.

Not trying to refute here, just curious - what did Tesla state to you? Have they cancelled your original order? I would be mad too if so. I am really surprised they would not continue a reduced production to meet placed orders by a certain date, I can't imagine that say an extra week of production wouldn't cover all orders placed/contracted say 7 days prior. a $10k jump is obviously non inconsequential and I am sure weights any such difference for most pretty significantly.

Just to continue to *sugar* up this thread with discussions of basic business practices 101...

That's not realistic. You know that, right? What would they do, just say "We're not taking orders anymore" back in October, so they could GUARANTEE that every car and combination ordered could be built by December? And then get stuck sitting on all the other inventory they built because they tipped their hand 4-6 months early about a product that still doesn't exist? The lines haven't even started pumping out the new cars... They effectively wrote the writing on the wall as large as they could without flipping that switch, so that people who were invested enough to really care should have been able to see that something was coming.

It sucks being in the crossfire, but in my opinion there's nothing better that could have been done. I'm surprised they even offer the $2000 discount - that seems like a nicer bone to throw than I would have expected. Enjoy a fully refreshed car at a discount, or look for a used/inventory/refused-delivery vehicle, or take your deposit back and buy a car from a company who's sales tactics are more comfortable. Tesla doesn't do model years. Cars change all the time. You take the risk that there's going to be something better, or cheaper, or, rarely, more expensive coming out tomorrow.
Tesla has introduced and removed options in the past so they definitely know how many vehicles they can build with certain option before needing to remove the option from the site.
And if they have leftover parts then those cars were built for the inventory/loaner fleet.

They could have done the same here, they knew how many cars they can build and once they received a number of orders close to it they could have stopped taking orders and the left over cars could have gone to inventory/loaners

Reactions: msm859
Not sure what else Tesla could have done. They sent out tons of indications that they were about to do the refresh that has been long rumored.

Understand that some would be upset, but expecting a company to spill the beans on major changes might be asking too much.
Except Elon would disagree with you.:D
60B97F0B-D95E-4CA6-A654-977131C9AE9D.jpeg

Last edited:
Might be an option at some point but the actual order from Tesla very clearly says "Yoke Steering"

View attachment 631926

Same with the Canadian configurator. Yoke Steering is clearly displayed as an option, like the color or autopilot.

Capture d’écran, le 2021-01-29 à 15.41.02.png

My guess is it will come to the configurator (for more money?), they're just testing the market and/or it will come when production ramp up.

In another thread someone said a sales person (for what it's worth) thought they might be making a short run of the older configuration to assuage those still wanting that, at the old price.

They could use up some of their left over parts at the same time.
Believe the actual number of people that would decide on that might be quiet small. The new design is quiet appealing.

Still trying to figure out my AOL account...

"Oxford Dictionaries record early politically conscious usage in 1962 in the article "If You're Woke You Dig It" by William Melvin Kelley in The New York Times and in the 1971 play Garvey Lives! by Barry Beckham which reads: "I been sleeping all my life. And now that Mr. Garvey done woke me up, I'm gon' stay woke."

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
I'm not making excuses, I'm trying to explain to a bunch of people who are needlessly angry that their claims are bogus and silly, and their demands are even more off the wall. And it's ESPECIALLY disingenuous coming from people that are on this board, where speculation has been running rampant over the impending refresh. You're saying a company who's entire model is just-in-time deliveries has to warn you in advance that a model is going away (again, even though there was still every chance your order could be fulfilled and still could be fulfilled when some other guy refuses delivery tomorrow of his pre-refresh Model S)? Come on. No rational business shoots themselves in the foot like that and they owe you nothing when you waited until literally the last possible moment to order the last generation vehicle. How many people actually ordered a car in December hoping against hope that they'd get the old model? People are just butt-hurt that they didn't get away with locking in a bargain basement price that was in the market for months.

GM takes orders all the time for cars they can't fulfill. I ordered my C6 with the Z51 package and kept getting delay after delay because they had supply chain issues. *sugar* happens.

Their claims are NOT bogus and silly. I have ordered 8 vehicles in my days - including 2 -C6's and have never had this issue. And I do not have a dog in this fight. I am happy with my 2020 Model X. I just think it is poor business practice. And as to your C6 you probably Knew going in that there might be delays in delivery because of "constraints" on options. GM post those EVERY single week so one can keep track of their order status. They give full disclosure and full transparency AND you are price protected if they should raise the price between the time you ordered and final delivery. People need to quit drinking the kool aid. Tesla may be great at many things - does not make them great at everything. This is not the first time their business practices have been called in to question.

Well... let's see... Elon's brilliant business practices have resulted in exactly zero Model S sales in the last couple of months. It sounds like they're roughly 4 to 8 weeks ago out (give or take) from another Model S sale hitting the books.

You're telling me... this company which has supposedly mastered just-in-time operations couldn't figure out how to manage this transition and keep some sales ringing the bell ?

So instead of some sales - which means some revenue - some (hopefully) happy new customers etc...

It was preferable to totally close off the spigot and piss off a good number of the folks with pending orders.

Yes - true Business 101 mastery.

Well... let's see... Elon's brilliant business practices have resulted in exactly zero Model S sales in the last couple of months. It sounds like they're roughly 4 to 8 weeks ago out (give or take) from another Model S sale hitting the books.

They made deliveries right up through the end of the year. Why do you think they didn't sell any?

Your argument makes little sense and reflects little understanding of either product marketing or manufacturing logistics. I'm out. Sorry you guys all got ****ed over by ordering vehicles in December. Tesla sucks and you should all sue, write letters, and boycott the company.

Can't wait to get my Plaid+ :D

They made deliveries right up through the end of the year. Why do you think they didn't sell any?

Your argument makes little sense and reflects little understanding of either product marketing or manufacturing logistics. I'm out. Sorry you guys all got ****ed over by ordering vehicles in December. Tesla sucks and you should all sue, write letters, and boycott the company.

Can't wait to get my Plaid+ :D
You're right - this MBA grad from the UC system is clueless. Please don't tell my long-time employer how stupid I am.