Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 21s More Durable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you’re having to replace your wheels due to pothole or very rough road damage, that’s likely more due to running really low profile tires, as Tesla does with the 21s. Just not much rim protection there.

And that likely hasn’t changed, which is why I’m probably gonna go with 19s, despite them looking nowhere near as good. :(

Agreed, 20" wheels are the sweet spot for the S. If you like the turbines, Ohm (TSW) makes a similar style wheel in 20" that is geared towards Teslas with friendly widths and offsets. They even have a 64.1mm center bore so you won't need hubcentric rings:

Tesla Wheels - Ohm Proton Rotary Forged Rims

They're not a true forged, but "rotary forged" which is somewhere in between cast and forged in strength and weight. At 20" though, you generally don't need the strength of a forged wheel to avoid wheel damage.

Reactions: FutureShock
If you’re having to replace your wheels due to pothole or very rough road damage, that’s likely more due to running really low profile tires, as Tesla does with the 21s. Just not much rim protection there.

And that likely hasn’t changed, which is why I’m probably gonna go with 19s, despite them looking nowhere near as good. :(
The original 19s looked so much better than current ones. During one of my visits to repair one of our Teslas, I met a guy who just purchased a brand new P100DL, but had Tesla swap his slipstreams to the original 19s off his trade-in. They were doing the swap while he was waiting in the service wait room. They looked way better on his blue P100D than the EOM slipstreams it came with.

Reactions: FutureShock