Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 3D wh/mi seems high...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm averaging 294 wh/mi.

Again, when proselytizing to others, be sure to multiply your in-car value by a factor of 1.25 (for Texas probably pretty good) to 1.5 (for Maine probably pretty good for winter months), prior to providing your total cost estimates! That way people get a good upper limit of what their actual costs will be. In the end of course it is pretty cheap relative to a lot of gas cars - but not in all situations. In any case, there are a lot of other reasons to own a Tesla other than saving on the costs of energy for the vehicle; there's no reason to play up the gas savings aspect of ownership if it does not apply.

I am not too worried about the cost. I am more concerned with the reduced range.

My advice.
1. Take a road trip. With at least two supercharger stops needed. I had heavy range anxiety until our after from San Diego to Phoenix (360 miles). That will level set what range means.
2. Install home charging and plug in when you are at home. It is amazing the freedom of never having to stop for gas is.
3. Set the display to Energy and not miles and always set the navigation to your destination. It will give you info on how much charge you need to get there and get back. This also helps ease the range anxiety.

enjoy!

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I am not too worried about the cost. I am more concerned with the reduced range.

On an actual road trip your consumption will likely be a bit better because the initial HVAC consumption will only occur once, and the rest will be steady state.

In general though the 3P+ has about 200 miles of range real world. Certainly it can stretch to 230-240 in the right conditions, but comfortable range is around 200 miles.

On an actual road trip your consumption will likely be a bit better because the initial HVAC consumption will only occur once, and the rest will be steady state.

In general though the 3P+ has about 200 miles of range real world. Certainly it can stretch to 230-240 in the right conditions, but comfortable range is around 200 miles.

I have an 185 mile trip on Monday so we will test it. Luckily the hotel has a free charger, just hope it isn't in use. There is aslo a SuperCharger across the street. That is with my Stealth in aftermarket 19" wheels.

I have an 185 mile trip on Monday so we will test it. Luckily the hotel has a free charger, just hope it isn't in use. There is aslo a SuperCharger across the street. That is with my Stealth in aftermarket 19" wheels.

You should be fine. You would have to be doing higher than 385Wh/mi to not make that journey. As others have suggested, just use that trip screen. You’d be a quite a bit better off with the 18” with aeros (in Florida you’d have little difficulty doing better than 270Wh/mi at 70mph) but not really needed.

Reactions: adrianp89
You should be fine. You would have to be doing higher than 385Wh/mi to not make that journey. As others have suggested, just use that trip screen. You’d be a quite a bit better off with the 18” with aeros (in Florida you’d have little difficulty doing better than 270Wh/mi at 70mph) but not really needed.

We were more than willing to give up some range to get rid of the aeros lol. This is the longest trip we have to take in the Tesla, as this is a trip for my wifes work. Maybe a trip to Miami/Keys we would try the Tesla and top off in Ft. Lauderdale but anything further I will take the truck. Nothing like making it 1500 miles with only two stops for gas.