Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 450kW EV charger from BMW and Porsche

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only one question. What does this do to the battery?

I know advanced cooling is involved here but temperature is just one variable to the battery life.

The improvement is welcome, but I think we need to see some real world examples of what this might do to the lithium batteries.

We all know what happens to our phones and other battery based devices over time. I think Tesla has been pretty careful and considerate with regards to degradation as a whole, and they have been doing it 10 years. BMW and Porsche have very limited data on degradation at these rates and certainly not long term data.

I have only one question. What does this do to the battery?

I know advanced cooling is involved here but temperature is just one variable to the battery life.

The improvement is welcome, but I think we need to see some real world examples of what this might do to the lithium batteries.

We all know what happens to our phones and other battery based devices over time. I think Tesla has been pretty careful and considerate with regards to degradation as a whole, and they have been doing it 10 years. BMW and Porsche have very limited data on degradation at these rates and certainly not long term data.

Either:

1) It cooks the battery

2) They are using "research batteries" chemistries akin to RC batteries with cyclelives in the 10's

3) They have a secret spiffy new battery chemistry

I'm not counting on #3.

Where are the cars that can utilize this fancy new charger? Where are the cars that can fully utilize a 200 kW charger? The only vehicle I know of right now that can charge at those speeds is the Tesla Semi, which was allegedly seen plugged into 5 Superchargers at Kettleman city, putting it up to 600 kW. It can only do that because it has a massive battery pack.

It's easy to build a high powered charger ... building a battery that can actually recharge that quickly is an entirely different animal.

From the article: "When operating at its maximum 450kW capacity, it has proven capable of replenishing a BMW i3 (fitted with a “specially developed high-voltage battery”) from 10 to 80 per cent in just 15 minutes, and delivering 62 miles of range to a Porsche research vehicle in just three minutes."

It's a demonstration of the charger, but they don't have real world batteries yet that can take it. So, mildly interesting at most.

I'm very curious how Porsche is managing to charge their Taycan at 350 kW though. Presumably their battery cooling system is much beefier than what Tesla uses. We'll have to wait to see real world results and a tear down!

I hope they offer an 8-year unlimited miles warranty on the battery when they actually start selling the car.

The good news for Tesla is they tested the 450kW charger - that actually exists - and it works as designed. I think the next generation of Teslas be able to connect to higher voltage chargers like this and charge faster.

Tesla has already talked about increasing fast charging speeds during investor webcasts. JB and Elon have said that they have intentionally chosen energy density over power density. If the Germans want to choose power density, they are free to do that. However, the volume and mass of the battery will increase for a pack with the same range. For the same pack size, they will be asking their users to stop more often for short bursts of power. Personally, I like Tesla's approach and I would rather drive further and take a little longer break.