Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 90D order placed, but I have a couple of questions...

Just for a bit of fun...

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know something similar has been discussed here before, but, I cant seem to find it anymore. Please forgive the rehashed question.

I am currently about to confirm an order for a UK right hand drive 90D with coil suspension and 19" wheels. I have 2 main questions that I need help with. Looking at the price of a brand new custom order for a 90D, I realise there are several P85D's available for just a little bit more, hence my quandary:

1. Performance wise I know the P85D has insane mode and a posted 0-60 of 3.2s but is there much improvement at higher speed acceleration ie 30-50 or 50-70 over a 90D. However this insane mode I understand is only really felt when certain battery charge percentage and temperature conditions are met. ie battery fully charged and at the right temperature, I think. My question therefore is there much difference in performance when not using insane mode on the P85D? At what state of charge will a P85D start to behave the same as a 90D?

2. Suspension wise, is a P85D on air with 21" wheels comparable in terms of ride quality to a 90D on coils with 19" wheels bearing in mind that the P85D suspension is different in more that just its usage of air shocks over coils. ie its more of older P85+ setup... My wife complained of feeling quite sick in a model s p85+ I hired for a few days that had air supsension on it and I was wondering if the coil suspension has a more of a connected feel to the road?

Basically Im wondering is the £75K-£79K for a brand new 90D worth it if I can pickup a used P85D for only ~£5K more...you know once I tire of doing the traffic light grand prix's...

Much appreciated for any advice/opinions anyone can share and a big Hi to you all :)

OP - Your question is very complex - particularly the part about the declining power output of the P85D at various levels of SOC. There is a lot of data on this and you can dig in as deep as you want!

My two cents (see car in sig) - I would tell you that unless you are a car nut and specifically looking for performance as a critical requirement of the car, you should pass on the P. 90% of the people who ride in my car focus on all the other things - technology, AP, comfort, etc. The average person thinks of the acceleration as a novelty.

Your suspension question is a matter of feel. In driving the P85+ you drove the stiffest, most performance tuned version of an MS there has been to date. I would tell you that my P85D on coils rides very smoothly - not MB550 smooth, but certainly as smooth as my 535i that I came off of. I doubt your wife will complain about a 90D on air or coils. I would say that the 19 inch wheels will help the situation.

19" wheels and tires will cut your running costs in half or more. From what I've read (neither I nor anyone I've had as a passenger on long or short trips) has ever had a motion sickness problem in my S85 with air) motion sickness in a Tesla is caused by acceleration and deceleration. Drive smoother, which comes with a bit of practice, and the problem should go away. Also be sure to keep some air in your tires so that they sway less.

Reactions: chriSharek
I have never been to UK, but I always hear that the roads are pretty crappy there. So a 19 inch tire will help a LOT in ride comfort compare to a 21 inch tire.

Based on some of the threads I read before about P85D performance, if the SOC (state of charge) of the battery is below about 70 or 80%, the car performance would be about the same as a non-P 85D. So I think you should just go with a regular 85D or 90D, unless extreme performance is your absolute priority.

I honesty think that the 90D is a better car for vast majority of people. You have more range, better quality (because it comes off the production line much later than P85D). If you are looking to save some money, look for a used 85D, still better choice than P85D in my opinion.

Reactions: chriSharek