Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New aftermarket TPMS won't read...how to fix?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put on a set of track wheels/tires with generic TPMS from Discount Tire and went for a drive. After a bit, I got the pop up that new wheels were detected. I selected 18", then got a message that the TPMS was reset successfully. Kept driving for several miles and got the following error. Do I need to drive further? Anything else to try?

Error reads: Tire pressure monitoring system fault. Sensors unable to read tire pressure.

Screenshot_20190629-085332.png

Deflate all tires (subtract 10 PSI), wait for few minutes, then inflate all tires to recommended cold pressure, then reset TPMS in M3 - test drive as recommended.

The idea is to "activate" the sensors if the installer did not. Or, return to installer to fix.

Good Luck.

I just went back by Discount. One sensor wasn't programmed correctly. The guy reporgrammed the one, pinged/activated all 4, then told me to drive for 20 mins. Went for a drive, most of the way I had no errors, just no pressure reading. About 17 minutes in I got the same error as before, Tire pressure monitoring system fault. Sensors unable to measure tire pressure. He's at a loss, going to try to call the manufacturer and/or Tesla and get back to me. Not sure if there's anything I can or should do in the meantime.

I checked my original invoice and it lists
SCH 33520 TQ12 T10 315/433 EZ NRM TPMS SENS SNAP IN 33520

So that confirms a dual frequency 315/433 sensor was used originally. When I Google SCH 33520 the only hits I get are for Schrader 33500.

I found the application guide for the Schrader 33500 and only 2016 and 2017 Model 3s are listed.

Screenshot_20190629-172422.png

I buy Autel 433/315’s sensors in bulk because they cost about the same as 433’s or 315’s individually. I have used Autel sensors on many Teslas with no problems other than you can often get a bad sensor right out of the box. Whoever flashes them has to make sure it doesn’t show an error. You probably got one bad sensor, with the diagnosis tool it’s easy to find it without even removing the tire or sensor. That’s the problem with buying stuff online.

Put on a set of track wheels/tires with generic TPMS from Discount Tire and went for a drive. After a bit, I got the pop up that new wheels were detected. I selected 18", then got a message that the TPMS was reset successfully. Kept driving for several miles and got the following error. Do I need to drive further? Anything else to try?

Error reads: Tire pressure monitoring system fault. Sensors unable to read tire pressure.

View attachment 424694

Does the error message stay on the screen permanently or you can discard it? Will it reappear and how often?

Asking since I have a wheel/tire set without tpms and would want to put them on the M3.