Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Anti-Theft package at Tesla Shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the alarm installed today and found two undocumented issues.

First, when the configuration is updated to activate the alarm it changes the way overheat protection works. When the Security Alarm is on Cabin Overheat Protection is greyed out. I checked a Model X without the new sensor and the alarm setting did not impact the Cabin Overheat Protection. There is a separate control for Tilt/Intrusion. Switching this on and off does not allow Cabin Overheat Protection. To get overheat protection you must disable the complete Security Alarm. I can understand that the new intrusion sensor precludes anyone or pet being in the cabin when it is active. The Tilt/Intrusion option should control the greying out of the Cabin Overheat Protection. When we leave our dog in the car with activate the HVAC system to maintain the proper temperature instead of Cabin Overheat Protection.The HVAC option is still available when the alarm is active. Greying Cabin Overheat Protection eliminates a second level of safety.
View attachment 367191 View attachment 367192
Second deals with how the Tilt/Intrusion option works. If you have Tilt/Intrusion turned off, when you return and unlock the vehicle the option turns back on. This means that every time I exit the vehicle while leaving my dog, I have to go to HVAC controls to leave that on and then to Controls/Safety Security and turn off the Security Alarm. It would be nice that they could make it more convenient to activate both of these options when exiting. Maybe the rumored Pet Mode will make this easier. I rue the day when If forget to turn off the Tilt/Intrusion sensor and my dog sets off the alarm alerting everyone that I have left my poor pet in an overheating car.

I have asked the Ranger who installed the system to file an issue with Tesla to see if these oversights can be addressed.

I think others also found the same issues as you've documented, but you've gone in much more detail. Nice find and let's hope that Tesla has a software fix for it.

I’m getting mine installed on my X tomorrow here in Montreal. They said it’s the first one they are going to do here. Hope they don’t mess with my car :D

I’ll post pictures once I get the car back.
Amazing service from the service center. They fixed a bunch of other issues and checked my almost new tires to make sure they were using evenly.

Here are some pictures of the device in place:
FF314988-658D-42EF-8AA7-256F56A1B29E.jpeg
759FF60B-258B-4717-9EB6-EBEB2DF2D11A.jpeg

Amazing service from the service center. They fixed a bunch of other issues and checked my almost new tires to make sure they were using evenly.

Here are some pictures of the device in place:
View attachment 373189 View attachment 373190
Quite a bit different then the model S version, but I’m guessing they’re just both variations of what was originally installed there

Crazy, first video I posted on this has now been viewed almost 53,000 times
Just reposted a video with more testing of functionality to attempt to answer many requests:
Tesla Enhanced Anti-theft Upgrade Demo Part 2

This is clearly of high interest in the Tesla Community. Over 3,000 views on YouTube in a day mostly from viewers outside TMC. Unusual audience for me.
I wouldn’t be surprised if all versions sold out again fairly soon.

Tesla Enhanced Anti-theft Upgrade Demo

Yet another issue with this video again
Had to delete and re-upload again.
Sorry again for the inconvenience... argh argh argh...

New upload:

Crazy, first video I posted on this has now been viewed almost 53,000 times
Just reposted a video with more testing of functionality to attempt to answer many requests:

I ordered the enhanced antitheft module at the strong suggestion of my girlfriend ( and set a PIN to drive as well, as she requested) and after about 3-4 months was finally able to get it installed by the Dublin, California service center. The said it would take 3-4 days to do, so it took me days to find a time I could drop it off. I declined a loaner but used my hybrid 2009 Mercury Mariner to get around, and what to you know? They had it ready after a day! What a surprise. Had to rush in at the end of the day to pick it up, and they gave me the old center light (what am I going to do with this?) and... no decals that I could find.

There have been a rash of break-ins into Teslas around the SF Bay Area and to further discourage anyone from messing with my Model X, I bought a few solar rechargeable flashing red lights and put one on my dash in a conspicuous spot.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IDC3O86/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great and it amuses me

Mike P