Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New apartment charging locations!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am moving into a new apartment complex and they have 4 assigned spots with 240volt 30amp charging. These spots are $75 and includes the charging, which is awesome! But my question is... Is this a NEMA 14-50 plug? Also will my car charge at 30 amps which should be 18 MPH? Or is it going to charge at a lower rate? I just want to make sure it'll be worth it. Thanks!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 78
NEMA 14-30. If you can get a Tesla 14-30 adapter you will be golden. It will automatically set your amps at 24.

Otherwise you will probably need to get a 14-30 to 14-50 adapter and have to remember to dial down your amps to 24 each time you charge. You can set the charge down to 24 amps with a preset charge time if I recall correctly.

Here's a post with pics etc, and charging issues with 14-30

help with 14-30 adapter and charging times in dryer

The answers there are from smarter folks than me about this!

$75 a month to park there and charge? Sounds like a bad deal. How much would you have to drive to use $75 a month in electricity? Also, it defeats the purpose of saving money by not buying gasoline if you're spending it on making some property owner richer.

$75 a month to park there and charge? Sounds like a bad deal. How much would you have to drive to use $75 a month in electricity? Also, it defeats the purpose of saving money by not buying gasoline if you're spending it on making some property owner richer.
Is electricty free? Or do you use the superchargers as a normal way of charging? If I owned a house I would have to charge there and it would be about $100 to $150 a month. Just wondering why you think $75 dollars is to much....

I guess Orange County electricity is probably a lot more expensive than average. Around here, $75 gets you about 2,000 miles of driving, and most people drive more like 1,000 miles/month. My electricity price is slightly above the national average.

I guess Orange County electricity is probably a lot more expensive than average. Around here, $75 gets you about 2,000 miles of driving, and most people drive more like 1,000 miles/month. My electricity price is slightly above the national average.
Yes hands down true. If I would charge at my current apartment I would go into tier 4 which is .30 for a kilowatt. I drive on average 1,500 miles a month. So just my electricity bill for my car would be $168.75. So that $75 assigned spot will save me about $100 dollars a month.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
Time out guys.

All my life I've had to pay for non street parking when I rented apartments. Prices ranged between 80 to 150 dollars a month. 80 got me off street parking. 120-150 got me covered garage with non designated parking. Of course in different cities.

IMHO 75 a month for a designated spot, WITH included charging is pretty reasonable. At least from my historical perspective.

All I ever got for what I paid (years ago too so don't forget inflation) was a place to stash my car. No electricity.

Reactions: newtman
Time out guys.

All my life I've had to pay for non street parking when I rented apartments. Prices ranged between 80 to 150 dollars a month. 80 got me off street parking. 120-150 got me covered garage with non designated parking. Of course in different cities.

IMHO 75 a month for a designated spot, WITH included charging is pretty reasonable. At least from my historical perspective.

All I ever got for what I paid (years ago too so don't forget inflation) was a place to stash my car. No electricity.
Yes that is why I am moving there! :) They just told me that they charge $100 for an extra spot and $75 for an EV parking spot. So its a WIN WIN for me!

Yes hands down true. If I would charge at my current apartment I would go into tier 4 which is .30 for a kilowatt. I drive on average 1,500 miles a month. So just my electricity bill for my car would be $168.75. So that $75 assigned spot will save me about $100 dollars a month.

Yeah, I'm paying 13 cents/kWh, flat rate, and I believe the national average is about 12. If you pay 30 cents/kWh and drive 1,500 miles/month then you're getting a great deal. If that $75/month is for parking too, not just for the plug, then you're getting an unbelievably sweet deal and you should send a box of chocolates to management once you move in.

What is the cost of a non-EV spot? This is the only way to make an apples to apples comparison.

if a non dedicated (non electrified) spot is free, and there is no value to having a dedicated spot, then $75 is more like a monthly charging tax. although I agree with most here, it is hardly unreasonable.

if having a dedicated spot has value beyond just the need for charging, then the math becomes a little more complex b/c that money is not being spent just for charging.

Thank you. Please let me know if you find the adapter anywhere else. I'd rather go with the official tesla adapter if possible. I sent a message to that person you tagged. Again, thank you!

I've been summoned apparently. I have unconfirmed reports that there are no 14-30's left in the wild that aren't set aside as warranty replacements. If I find more, I'm still keeping the list and I'll contact you in order. My apologies to JasonShelton.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I read the original post. He simply stated, "240V 30A" charging. There are many EVSE manufacturers out there with the J1772 plug. Why are we assuming that the plug is a 14-30? I would think the adapter that comes with the car is all the owner needs.

To me, since the J1772 is a universal plug for any BEV this arrangement makes more sense. I admit to ignorance, but can Volts, Leafs, etc use the 14-30 plug as well?

Perhaps Jason can verify with the apartment complex just what the hook up is. And I apologize if I did not understand his original post.

I read the original post. He simply stated, "240V 30A" charging. There are many EVSE manufacturers out there with the J1772 plug. Why are we assuming that the plug is a 14-30? I would think the adapter that comes with the car is all the owner needs.

To me, since the J1772 is a universal plug for any BEV this arrangement makes more sense. I admit to ignorance, but can Volts, Leafs, etc use the 14-30 plug as well?

Perhaps Jason can verify with the apartment complex just what the hook up is. And I apologize if I did not understand his original post.
Yes I fully agree! At first I thought it was the NEMA 14-50 plug but I looked at it more and noticed it was the NEMA 14-30..... I have no idea why they installed the 14-30 and not the 14-50. The plugs were just installed as well. I will ask them today what the reasoning was behind this plug.

Did you get the original adapter? Or a none Tesla one?

I got lucky and my service center got one for me, but it was a while back.

I think a lot of builders are more comfortable w the 14-30 as it is a dryer plug. I suspect that we will see the 14-30 become pretty common for properties providing ev chargers. My new home touted the 14-30 plug as an electric car charger in the garage. The washer dryer is separate upstairs.

This is why imho tesla needs to bring back the 14-30. IMHO home builders are comfortable with 14-30, but not with 14-50 (rv chargers).